Cycling question

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Brightwell XLM to cycle dead sand and rocks, day 17 and Ammonia reading 0, Nitrite 0 but Nitrate between 50-100 ppm using Salifert test kit.
Because of my situation, I have both of my Yellow Tang, Tomini, hammer coral and candy cane from my original reef tank. All doing very well.

question: do I need to do large water change to reduce Nitrate level or can I just change 10% weekly. I am not putting any new fish or coral for another 6 wks (waiting for my tank lid).
I have skimmer running and Nitrate has been showing similar level for about 1 wk. seems it doesn’t bother the 2 corals.
I reduced my Radion light to only 5 hrs/day with only 25% intensity at 20K spectrum color. I have not seen the ugly Algae phase, and I don’t have refugium. My phosphate reading is 0.1 and the only media I use is carbon (no GFO at this time)

alk and Ca are within normal range, 7.0 and 425.

long term, this will be FOWLR tank.

another question, I have a couple rocks that I am cleaning using Citric acid instead of bleach. Once cleaned, I plan to just submerge in old saltwater to dilute any residue of the citric acid, then air dry for awhile in the sun before reuse in the tank. Any issue with this approach?

thanks all

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a big water change, or get a nitrate reducer (waste away, carbon dosing, biopellets, nitrate removing media). As for the citric acid, I have no clue lol.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates are pretty high. The easiest method is a big water change. A 50% change will halve the nitrate levels. Better would be a 75% water change which would quarter the nitrate levels. Before a massive water change, be sure that the temperature, salinity and ALK of the water comes close to matching the display. By ”close”, I mean near enough as to not harm the fish and inverts by the shock of the change.

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, would the Nitrate level comes down naturally over time or there is no bacteria that digest nitrate? Thanks

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, would the Nitrate level comes down naturally over time or there is no bacteria that digest nitrate? Thanks

Bacteria that rids nitrate from a tank into nitrgoen gas has to grow where there is no oxygen and these areas are not very common in our tanks. Other bacterias that scavenge food and waste such as wasteaway, vibrant, etc, will lower nitrate.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not as quickly as you need it to. Large water change is best

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As per others, nitrate reducers need an anaerobic environment to function. It can happen in a marine tank, but well, might just be easier to use algae or something.

If you really wanna establish denitrifiers and want to try a bottled product, Microbacter7 has some: https://www.brightwellaquatics.com/products/microbacter7.php

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I just suggested Microbacter7 because op used Microbacter Start XLM so I'd thought to just suggest something from the same company.

They are owned by the same company and use their product interchangeably but with different names (I have no clue why they do this lol). They don't however have bacter gen md for their brightwell line up.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem does a similar thing with aquavitro. I really don't know why companies do that haha
I wonder if it might have been acquisitions or mergers, but they don't want to 'lose' a particular brand lest certain customers are super used to those brand names. So they just added products from each line to the other under a different name to expand each of their brand's offerings or something. Just a theory, have not actually checked this one bit. XD

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, with my system started with dry rock (bleached) and dry sands, and only 2 fish in an est. 75 gallon water volume, what would cause the spike in Nitrate level to 50 ppm? My ammonia was only around 1 ppm through out the cycle

thanks

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, with my system started with dry rock (bleached) and dry sands, and only 2 fish in an est. 75 gallon water volume, what would cause the spike in Nitrate level to 50 ppm? My ammonia was only around 1 ppm through out the cycle

thanks
Ppm in all three cases (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate) are measured as mg/L. Because nitrate has a higher mass than ammonia, when we measure ppm as mg/L it ends up that nitrate measures higher than ammonia even if the actual number of molecules of nitrogen is (more or less) the same.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back