Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys, cycling a new tank using:

Dr tims one and only bacteria
Dr tims ammonia
200g water volume (accounting for sand and rocks)
API test kits

I followed the instructions but ive been getting 2ppm ammonia and 2ppm nitrite since day 2 and its been the same till today (day 9) where the ammonia dropped to 1ppm and nitrites stayed at 2ppm. i don't remember my first tank looking like this, it had a more uniform rise and drop.
On the instructions its says
"If ammonia and nitrite are below 1 ppm add 2 ppm ammonia."
and
  • Days 7 & 8 – Measure ammonia and nitrite. On the first measurement day (Day 2, 4, 5, 7 or 8) that BOTH ammonia and nitrite are both below 0.5 ppm (NH3-N or NO2-N) your tank is close to being cycled.

• When BOTH ammonia and nitrite are below 0.2 ppm (NH3-N or NO2-N), add another 2 ppm ammonia.
since im on day 9 do i still need to follows the rule of "lower then 1ppm add ammonia" or im on the wait till ammonia is less then 0.02ppm to add ammonia? also, is it normal to have the same ammonia and nitrite on day 2 and have it same for 8 days stright?

thanks for the answers

Lean~

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, how you gonna make sure your new fish ain’t deseased? Just plopping new fish in May be a devastating mistake. Lots of folks get away with it, some don’t.

OP
OP
L

Leandre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll do this someday anyhow, but go and purchase a Salifert or Red Sea test kit. API test kits are more often not accurate. Good luck. :)
Yeah, I know there are pretty bad, it's just for the cycling process. None of my other test kits are Api. I just didn't know if my situation meant I was on the pre or post day 8 on the instruction as this has never happened to me before. If I do ever get the chance to set up another tank, I'll be sure not to use Api lol

OP
OP
L

Leandre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, how you gonna make sure your new fish ain’t deseased? Just plopping new fish in May be a devastating mistake. Lots of folks get away with it, some don’t.
I have no idea what this means for me as it this has nothing to do with my question but since you asked. I have a 20g QT tank setup for fish. The current fish I have in the 40g breeder holding tank have been with me for 4.5years so I'm confident they are pest free.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea what this means for me as it this has nothing to do with my question but since you asked. I have a 20g QT tank setup for fish. The current fish I have in the 40g breeder holding tank have been with me for 4.5years so I'm confident they are pest free.
Consider me totally baffled as it seems you know exactly what your doing. Happy reefing :)

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the cycle completes, you should get exactly 20 parts Nitrate for every 1 part ammonia. Nitrite only exists for a very short period of time and should be rapidly processed to Nitrate. Look there.

OP
OP
L

Leandre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider me totally baffled as it seems you know exactly what your doing. Happy reefing :)
I'm sorry I didnt mean to be rude. I genuinely didn't know what your comment meant. I'm also a forever noob and really didn't know about the cycling question, I'll be asking many questions are things arise but yes, happy reefing!

OP
OP
L

Leandre

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the cycle completes, you should get exactly 20 parts Nitrate for every 1 part ammonia. Nitrite only exists for a very short period of time and should be rapidly processed to Nitrate. Look there.
thank you very much for the insight, i'll be sure to keep an eye out for that ^^

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back