Cycling Questions

nonnax2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, as a newbie to this hobby I have some questions that I could not find answers for. I have a 20 gal tank, thought I would go small first although reviews state not best idea.

Lighting. Do you need lights on during cycling? I purchased the Ecoxotic 24 Inch Panorama Marine LED Light Fixture - 12,000K White & 445nm Blue I have dry rock/live sand. I'm seeding the rock with microbacter per my lfs and they gave me some of dr. tims ammonia. Also, should I have a hood or cover on tank and lights above that? I've seen plenty of tanks without hoods. Im afraid the lights will fall in tank. :squigglemouth:

Thanks and I will be back.

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights would be good to run during your cycle.
A tank cover is helpful if plan on having livestock that might jump out.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run the tank like you've had it set up for years. Lights and all.
No reason for a lid unless you are planning on fish that jump. Its better not to have a lid so the gas exchange is better.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are not needed to complete a cycle. In fact, there are some people who say keeping the lights off is a good idea as it will keep the algae blooms down and favor the development of denitrifying bacteria instead. Some people just cannot stand looking at a dark tank, though, so it's up to you.

When you say hood, do you mean an enclosure for the lights that sits above or on top of the tank? If so, then it's a good idea. It helps contain the wash of the lights and keeps the glare down when you view the tank. The hood should match the stand, so that the whole ensemble looks like fine furniture. Make sure there are large openings on top to allow heat to escape and for air exchange.

If you mean glass tops that enclose the top of the tank, then no, it's a bad idea. Leave the top open for good air exchange.

Chris Aldrich

Caribbean Chris @ Saltwater Smarts
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, the lights aren't necessary for a cycle. Essentially it's personal preference if you choose to run them or not during the process.

If you'd like to have something covering your tank, stray away from anything that "seals" the top as it inhibits oxygen entering the water.

In regards to what to look for throughout the cycle and how to know when it's complete, check out this resource: How to Cycle Your Saltwater Tank

Welcome to this fantastic hobby!

OP
OP
N

nonnax2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I actually read that resource before. My water is evaporating during the cycle and I've read some add fresh water and some don't at all. Which is correct? The ammonia is steadily staying at 2, nothing else going on, It's only been 7 days and I just want to make sure I am doing everything right.

MondoBongo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
always keep up with freshwater top off. making sure your params are stable is one of the most important aspects of keeping a successful tank. in fact, i can't tell you how much i love my auto top off system.

i would leave the lights off during the cycle. no point in having them on.

i would also recommend some kind of cover for the tank. places like bulk reef supply sell screen kits, or you can DIY one out of egg crate. i wouldn't use a solid cover like glass, since as previously stated it will inhibit your gas exchange and therefore make oxygenation of the water a bit more difficult, but having a cover of screen or mesh is a good idea.

i ran open top for a long time, then one day came home and one of our clown fish, our very first first, was laying behind the tank dead. :(

it was very sad, and 100% preventable, had i covered the tank with something.

i didn't think i needed a cover, because none of the fish i bought were considered "jumpers" but any fish can jump if they want/need to.

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I actually read that resource before. My water is evaporating during the cycle and I've read some add fresh water and some don't at all. Which is correct? The ammonia is steadily staying at 2, nothing else going on, It's only been 7 days and I just want to make sure I am doing everything right.

Salinity will rise, and all the other numbers will rise along with it, as the water evaporates. One of the prerequisites for a successful reef tank is stability, so topping off with freshwater at frequent intervals is necessary. It is not as critical during cycling, so you can top off daily or every other day. Place a marker in the return portion of your sump if you have a sump or on the DT if you don't, and use RODI water to keep the water level constant. Once you start loading up with coral, you may want to look into an ATO (Auto top off). This will help keep your salinity and other parameters more stable than manually topping off. I evaporate 2-3 gallons a day with my system, and I use an ATO set to kick in multiple times a day to keep my parameters stable.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back