Cycling questions ???

Tds0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
recently I've setup two tanks without cycling them - thinking everything was going to be fine.

I started out filling up a biocube29 with freshly mixed salt water and within two 5 days added my clownfish .
The water turned so cloudy and whiteish -that I couldn't see my hand threw the glsss on the other side of the tank.

Did several large water changes with no changes - the water got cloudy shortly after again.

-------- so then to save the fish I purchased a 10gallon tank and a hob filter . Did the samething - mixed 10 gallons of freshly mixed water and put my clownfish in the tank. Now the 10 gallon tank is having s similar issue . I cannot see my hand on the other side of the tank and the water is very brown. Did several large water changes and again brown water .

--------- my biocube29 that I setup over a month ago has been sitting empty since I evacuated the fish to the 10gal tank. The biocube water is clear enough that I can see threw he otherside

No lights have been on this tank for a month now and the same water has been sitting in the tank .
Is the tank now cycled and can I add my fish back in the 29 biocube after doing a 10 gallon water change in it?

Thank you for the help

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well........... did you at least educate yourself how to cycle a saltwater tank?
On this forum there is plenty of info from small setups as you have to large setups.
If you did educate yourself before hand you wouldn't be in this situation.

What you experience is probably a bac bloom, nothing major but without seeing any test results it's hard to say for anybody what your tank is going through.
Buy some decent test kits and do the waiting game it can take up to several weeks before you can put livestock in a tank when done right.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you testing Your water ? What are Your parameters at .. what do you have in the tank qua rockwork/sand .. live rock / dry rock live sand/dry sand ...and have you done any research at all for setting up a reef tank .. ? I suggest you read this carefully..
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.84/
Have you got any pictures of your tanks ??
The more info you can provide the easier it is too give an answer ..
Mack

Last edited:

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use biospira, ghost feed and test until ammonia and nitrite ate zero them get rid of nitrate with water changes. Also water changes only need to be 10-20% 10g is a lot to take out of a 29 biocube. Could be slowing down the process by stripping that beneficial bacteria

OP
OP
T

Tds0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the water has been sitting and circulating in the tank for maybe 40 days now ?

So for the first water change would you suggest just doing 5 gallon water change or 10? It's 29 gallon biocube
Thanks

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly you don't need to do any water changes until you start testing the water and know for sure that the cycle has started, then once everything but nitrates are zero start doin 3-5 gallon water changes once a week until nitrates are almost undetectable. Sadly is a process that takes time but so is everything else in this hobby

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But like the people said above me we can't really help without water parameters because we don't know what stage your tank is and or if it has started cycling at all

OP
OP
T

Tds0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye I have no test kits on hand
Water has been in the tank 40days and has some left over food is still on the bottom of bed of bare bottom tank.

I have some eshopp sponge filters in my 2nd chamber for filtration
No rock is in the tank

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test first ammonia and nitrite.
Having your tank sit for 40 days might give you a positive result but that doesn't mean you're done cycling.
Add a few drops of ammonia in the tank and test 30 min after adding.
Than test again 12 hrs later if it drops, if it does test again after 12 hours it should be 0.0 or close to that.
After the tank is cycled you wanna know where your phosphate and nitrate is sitting.
Phosphate around 0.04 and nitrate steady at 2ppm.
Having nutrients is food for your eco system to balance out your bacteria population.
Hope these clowns are doing ok.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ye I have no test kits on hand
Water has been in the tank 40days and has some left over food is still on the bottom of bed of bare bottom tank.

I have some eshopp sponge filters in my 2nd chamber for filtration
No rock is in the tank

No rock...... that would be hard to keep a tank balanced.
Reading through all your post my suggestion is to sit down and read as much as possible about starting a small reef tank.
You can educate yourself pretty much with all the info on this forum.
Good luck

OP
OP
T

Tds0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'll throw in some live rock from a diffrent established tank ?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the maybe out.
Do it.
Did you test your water already?
It was a good day for doing it.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Diesel .. you need some live rock in there .. this is the filtration in your reef , where all the bacteria will thrive that helps support your eco system .. and again I strongly suggest you read up as much as you can on this hobby ( see link in my previous post ) it takes a lot of patience to run a reef .. nothing good ever happens fast in a reef .. but your at the right place too learn here at R2R .. and there is enough friendly people and experts on here who can help guide you onto the write path .. good luck .. and happy reefing !

OP
OP
T

Tds0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uploaded a video of the 10 gallon tank . This is two days after doing s 70% water change .

Going to buy some live rock today to add into the tank
My clownfish to my surprise laid eggs yesterday for the first time !

Going to buy some live rock from a fish store today

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get Your self Some test kits too .. ammonia / nitrite/nitrate .. or take a sample of water with you too the lfs .. take at least 100 ml water if you do !!!

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd hold off on adding any more fish until you have test kits. I'd also see if someone can take care of your clownfish until you know for sure your tank is cycled. Patience and knowledge are the two most important ingredients for success with sw tanks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back