Cycling questions

Michael ross1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently cycling my first saltwater tank..... I'm using Dr Tim's ammonium chloride and one and only..... My ammonia spiked eventually and now zero.....my nitrites are high in the purple with api test kit .... nitrate is 40 ppm..... Yesterday I put more ammonia in to get a reading and 24 hours later it is zero..... But nitrite is still purple....????? Is cycle done or wait a few days more to see if it goes away I'm doing fishless cycle but can't wait to get fish ..... almost there just wondering what to do or to wait

dkeller22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitites aren't as toxic to saltwater fish as the are to freshwater, but I'd wait a few days for them to come down, and they will. Nitrates just grow algae. Don't add any more ammonium chloride. Just wait for the bacteria to catch up.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

linked so we can compare analysis between the two threads. this cycle has been pretty well fixed already so far. here's two posts that show we only factor ammonia in cycling, not nitrite:

see post 65

plus that entire thread of itself applies to this post here, the critical timelines and ammonia control has been met. if you want to wait longer thats fine, but it does not make the tank safer to add fish.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient. Cycling takes a varying amount of time depending on how much rock and sand you have. A cycled tank isn't a stable tank, either. That takes months of gradually increasing your bioload and letting the bacterial biome adjust to the new foodsource.

I have 250lbs of live rock in my tank and i can't get measurable nitrate or phosphate without dosing it. Even so, i don't add more than one fish or 15 hermit crabs at a time just to maintain stability.

z0mbeh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be patient. Cycling takes a varying amount of time depending on how much rock and sand you have. A cycled tank isn't a stable tank, either. That takes months of gradually increasing your bioload and letting the bacterial biome adjust to the new foodsource.

I have 250lbs of live rock in my tank and i can't get measurable nitrate or phosphate without dosing it. Even so, i don't add more than one fish or 15 hermit crabs at a time just to maintain stability.
This is the best advice, rushing is only going to lead to issues.

bxclent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently cycling my first saltwater tank..... I'm using Dr Tim's ammonium chloride and one and only..... My ammonia spiked eventually and now zero.....my nitrites are high in the purple with api test kit .... nitrate is 40 ppm..... Yesterday I put more ammonia in to get a reading and 24 hours later it is zero..... But nitrite is still purple....????? Is cycle done or wait a few days more to see if it goes away I'm doing fishless cycle but can't wait to get fish ..... almost there just wondering what to do or to wait
Patience, Grasshopper....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back