cycling rock before tank is delivered

defasum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 60 lbs. of live rock that has been set dry for about 9 months. I cleaned, bleached and rinsed (twice) the rock and set out in the sun to dry.

I have 2 months before the tank I ordered is delivered so I wanted to start cycling the rock. I placed into a bin and added new salt water (1.025), heater (79 F) and powerheads . I also added the appropriate amount of Fritz turbo start 900 to get the cycle going. I'm wondering if I need to introduce fish food or some type of ammonia source?

I would also like some advice on steps I should take in the next 2 months so the rocks are ready for my tank when it arrives.

Thanks,
Julian

IMG_0402.jpg

OP
OP
defasum

defasum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @tsouth - looks like I'm headed in the right direction. I'll just do a 100% water change every 2 weeks and add more turbostart after the WC. I just find it odd that I don't have to introduce food so the cycle can come full circle.

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @tsouth - looks like I'm headed in the right direction. I'll just do a 100% water change every 2 weeks and add more turbostart after the WC. I just find it odd that I don't have to introduce food so the cycle can come full circle.
You can most definitely add food. It will aid in benefitting the bacteria. I think something important to remember is that curing rock is a 2 part process for you.

First, it's removing all the die off from when it used to be live. You're also trying to neutralize the bleach and pull all the waste compounds out of the rock. Things like phosphates, bleach, etc etc. Now that that is completed, you're trying to get that growth, sooOoooOOoooo -

Second, fostering beneficial bacteria.This is where you are now. Assuming your rock is clean and not leeching harmful contaminants, the bacteria could possibly feed off of any ammonia sources left over from any die off or it could feed off of the ammonia you leave in there with decaying matter like say...raw shrimp for day or two.

You're in good shape. Feed a pinch of something every week or so if you'd like. You don't need much i'm sure. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in too!

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same as you and cured/cycled my rock in a brute for almost 3 months. I wanted to have as much beneficial bacteria as possible, so I added ammonium chloride regularly. This ensured that there was enough bacteria to handle a large bio-load as soon as the rock went in the tank. I continually added the ammonium to 2ppm, did water changes when nitrates increased, and added various bottled bacteria (Fritz, Dr Tims, Biospira, etc.), until the tank was ready for the rock.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back