Cycling tank, Has No ammonia but has High Nitrites and Ntrates, Am I done cycling?

Salty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been cycling My 170 RS Reefer and I’m so confused, I have no ammonia in the tank but I have high Nitrates and High Nitrites. I’m using the API Master test kit. And also there is no algae showing on the rocks. I also used the turbo start and drops of dr Tim’s ammonia t cycle this tank and as of now I’m on week 3. Question is am I done cycling? Or is the tank paused cycling?? This is my first time doing this following instructions. As my 20 g tank wasn’t even done cycling ( I promise I didn’t know that it wasn’t done cycling) and I have put corals in but they survive .

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you arent done until you read....

ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm - 40ppm:

then do a water change to lower the nitrates

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you see 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and nitrates come down quite a bit you should be good. Nitrites are deadly like ammonia.
Just an FYI; Nitrites/NO2 are NOT toxic to SW fish in the levels we deal with.
You'd need to have readings in the 100s before any issues would occur.

Even with zero NH3, if you still have some NO2, your cycle is not quite complete.
Wait until you only have NO3 readings, then do a large enough WC to bring them to a level you are happy with.
Then you are good to go.

Zotch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please stop what you are doing and do some research. Asking questions on a message board is fine but reading/watching videos should be your path.

OP
OP
Salty2

Salty2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please stop what you are doing and do some research. Asking questions on a message board is fine but reading/watching videos should be your path.
I’m sorry but I thought also asking people that had experience would also be beneficial but thanks for the advice.

Mapongamike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry but I thought also asking people that had experience would also be beneficial but thanks for the advice.
This is why this forum exists. No question is a dumb question.

Get those nitrites down. The bacteria that oxidizes nitrites grows slower than the bacteria that breaks down ammonia. Once ammonia and nitrites are 0ppm dose more ammonia, preferably upto 2ppm, and if your tank breaks down that newly added ammonia of 2ppm to 0ppm over a 24hr span then your tank is cycled.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While good advice to be reading and watching, we want all people to feel welcome to ask questions no matter how basic they are. Please remember this. :)

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Salty2 - As others have said, you are getting close. :). A little more patience.

Also, if you have not heard, API test kits are not very accurate and known to miss read ammonia and nitrates. If you have the ability to purchase some higher quality, I would highly recommend it. NYOS is a highly recommended nitrate test. If you look up BRStv on YouTube, Bulk Reef Supply has a lot of great videos and does some great test kit comparisons that can help you make some good decisions.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While good advice to be reading and watching, we want all people to feel welcome to ask questions no matter how basic they are. Please remember this. :)
Thank you, I feel that some people forget how they 1st started their new aquarium

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been cycling My 170 RS Reefer and I’m so confused, I have no ammonia in the tank but I have high Nitrates and High Nitrites. I’m using the API Master test kit. And also there is no algae showing on the rocks. I also used the turbo start and drops of dr Tim’s ammonia t cycle this tank and as of now I’m on week 3. Question is am I done cycling? Or is the tank paused cycling?? This is my first time doing this following instructions. As my 20 g tank wasn’t even done cycling ( I promise I didn’t know that it wasn’t done cycling) and I have put corals in but they survive .
I am same as you, I have high nitrates and nitrites using the API test kit, I add Dr timms amoninium chloride daily and I have started to use fish flakes, my levels of ammonia drop to nearly zero within 24hrs
I too am confused about nitrates and nitrites levels, everyone says avoid API but it would not sell so well if it was bad?
I am week 4 of my fishless cycle and scared to add any fish as so unsure if parameters are correct

Back