Cycling tank: time for a water change?

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm on day 7 of cycling my tank, I used Dr Tim's ammonia and bacteria.

Every day, my ammonia has read 2ppm. Nitrites appeared on day 2 at 0.5ppm and have steadily risen. Today they've hit 5ppm.

Do I need to do a water change now to bring the nitrites down slightly? I think I read somewhere not to let ammonia or nitrite get above 5ppm.

Any help appreciated!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm on day 7 of cycling my tank, I used Dr Tim's ammonia and bacteria.

Every day, my ammonia has read 2ppm. Nitrites appeared on day 2 at 0.5ppm and have steadily risen. Today they've hit 5ppm.

Do I need to do a water change now to bring the nitrites down slightly? I think I read somewhere not to let ammonia or nitrite get above 5ppm.

Any help appreciated!
Hello - what are your nitrates?

Your nitrites will go down as your nitrates go up - that's when your cycle is usually finished. You seem to be in the home stretch!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

OP
OP
MmeAssoc

MmeAssoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates appeared on day 4 and they have steadily risen - currently, they're between 12 and 25 on the testing kit colour chart.

I did start a build thread, but I didn't realise I could link it to my account - have done now, thanks for the tip!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back