Cycling Tank With Ammonium Chloride

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride to cycle my tank. I am not sure if I am doing it right. The instructions say 4 drops/gallon of water. My tank is approximately a 30-gallon tank. So I put in 120 drops when it tells me to. I've noticed that my NH3 levels are the highest they can be from my test kit. Right now, 3 days from today, I am supposed to add my fish (going to start with cleanup crew), but I honestly don't think my tank is going to be ready because it has not cycled yet, and the parameters are not safe.

20200406_200204.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simplest thing you could do: change out half the water to make sure it’s not all jacked we don’t need much ammonia in the water at all.

add bottle bac designed for cycling

let mix for three days, and change some water again, then add fish it will work if you have a live rock and live sand tank. If you used half the recommended ammonia, tank still cycles at the same rate as a bunch. Too much initial ammonia is algae feed.

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what test kits are you using? The Red Sea nitrate test can be delooted with RO water is why I'm asking.

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did add his bottle of bacteria.
I am using a Fluval test kit.

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did almost a half water change yesterday. I will plan to do another one. Will I need to add another bottle of bacteria again? Will the high ammonia count have killed it off?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back