Cycling using Red Sea Reef Mature into Triton

Thomas Ghysel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have decided to setup a reef tank. Right now I’m still just trying to learn as much as I can before I actually get started. My plan is to run the full triton method, of course for this I first need to cycle the tank. I was planning on using Red Sea’s blue bucket salt as it seems to have very good parameters to go with the triton method and then use their reef Mature kit. But as I started to read the instructions I ran into an idea which I’m not sure is right or wrong.

With the triton method the refugium serves to lower the phosphate and nitrate. Now I understand once the cycle is complete there will only be a few fishes in the tank so the nutrient load will be low. Chances are the chaeto will starve if there aren’t enough nutrients in the tank yet (I know it also needs a good refugium light like the kessil a360x and iron).

Then I wondered Nopox and the water changes serve to lower the rising levels of phosphate and nitrate during the cycling process with the reef mature kit. Wouldn’t it be good to skip the nopox and water changes when going the triton method? At the end of the cycle the chaeto could start growing on the nutrients that are still in the tank while I slowly add more fish and the first easy corals. Nitro Bac, Bacto Start stay and coralline gro would be used if KH goes under 8. Or maybe not skip both but just one of the two.

Can anyone confirm if my reasoning is correct and if it’s not explain me why it is not. If it’s not I want to learn why it isn’t so I don’t make any stupid mistakes.

I’m sorry if my English sucks, it’s not my main language.

Have a nice day everyone

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - Welcome to R2R!

Second - Your English is very good.

Third - I think your logic is correct, no Nopox or water changes until Chaeto is well established.

Good Luck!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we were reviewing the neat fact that nobody can find an example of failed bottle bac cycle online, where animals died, in any forum recently and how given two weeks wait time after dosing bottle bac and two pinches of feed, 100% of reef tanks will be cycled if rocks and sand or at least rocks are in the display water the whole time.

cycling is changing in the hobby. 2 years ago if you didnt do six things you couldnt cycle, or it might stall

we kicked all that out. nowadays, you can't fail, and even during the era when fails were a prescribed risk we still can't find any fail threads :)

those who sell bottle bac used to make the cycling rules, handy.

We cant find any examples using seneye ammonia tracking where bottle bac + fish turned out to fail to control all the fish's initial ammonia production, easily, plus feeding.

In other words it took two years to undo pretty much every rule written two years ago about cycling and we have thousands of tanks handy right now to prove it but we have zero links of a failed bottle bac cycle. nice stats.

*chemists who test bottle bac occasionally find dead bottles, but that doesnt mean we can find any threads on all of google for someone's initial fish load dying due to lack of ammonia control.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Specifically for Thomas

add any bottle bac you want, it doesnt matter if you add nopox or withhold it.

add two pinches of flake feed, wait two weeks, change water, proof it on seneye and it'll pass or just trust me it'll pass and you'll be cycled. no common variation in your salinity pH temp alkalinity etc will change this outcome, all variations are still wet, so they cycle.

OP
OP
T

Thomas Ghysel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for the answers everyone. Well basically in my lfs I only have the options of the red sea mature kit or prodibio start up. So the red sea option looked handy because of the very step by step instructions for someone who's new.
I'm pretty much doing this on my own from scratch so I have a lot to learn. So I started wondering if doing the water changes and using nopox wouldn't slow down chaeto grow after the cycle since the tank would have less nutrients in it (going back and forth to the lfs to just discuss something isnt that handy with all the covid problems going on).
That's why I asked if my reasoning was correct because if it isn't I'm teaching myself the wrong things :)
One thing I do have going for me, I'm a patient man, so I'll take the time I need to learn as much as I can before I get started, nor do I mind if the cycle takes 3 weeks or 3 months as long as it's done well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back