Cycling w/ “Live Rock” - Petco - Local Aquarium - Hitchhikers

eddiegee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got into the hobby with an Evo 13.5. Before I put 100s of dollars into my tank I started with the basics in case my tank goes sideways due to my inexperience. I will be trying to introduce “natural” living bacteria into my tank without the over the counter chemicals.

Over the past few days I bought 4 different type of rocks to test, added a snail and a hermit crab.

So far my water levels are good but that’s probably expected.

Here’s what I added so far:

1. Caribsea Life Rock.

2. Dry Coral rock from a local aquarium. Rock came from a tank that crashed a few months ago.

3. “live rock” from a local aquarium store filled with green and red algae. The snail already started to polish the rock and you can see the bright green where the snail has been munching on.

3. “live cultured rock” from Petco. Rocks looks pretty cool and appears to contain coralline. Last night I found out there are 100s of living creatures residing in the rock’s small crevices. When I turned on the room ‘s light I saw what appeared to be some sort of pods rushing to get back into the rocks. Not 100% sure if these will eventually create a pest issue but after reading about these pods I decided to take a chance and leave the rock in the tank.

5BADC236-9448-4BBD-9BF3-66854D638B3B.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
eddiegee

eddiegee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely blaxsun.

Did some research on the Petco rocks and it appears they were imported from the Indian Ocean. Some of these rocks appear to have been sitting at Petco’s fish tank for years.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought about 20 lbs of live rock from my local PetCo about 5 months ago and am happy due to:
(((knew absolutely nothing at the time)))
-- completely covered in coralline which is now spreading to the rest of my tank <--completely covered until I bought an urchin, that is
-- tons of amphipods <--freaked out when i saw "lice" running all over my rocks at night (but now I know they're good)
-- extra margarita (I think) snails in my tank now
-- bristleworms <--I know some hate them but I'm in the camp of "beneficial CUC for your sandbed"

*I'm a little concerned about all of the posts bashing PetCo and have been worried about some fish disease outbreak but, so far, all good.

OP
OP
eddiegee

eddiegee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought about 20 lbs of live rock from my local PetCo about 5 months ago and am happy due to:
(((knew absolutely nothing at the time)))
-- completely covered in coralline which is now spreading to the rest of my tank <--completely covered until I bought an urchin, that is
-- tons of amphipods <--freaked out when i saw "lice" running all over my rocks at night (but now I know they're good)
-- extra margarita (I think) snails in my tank now
-- bristleworms <--I know some hate them but I'm in the camp of "beneficial CUC for your sandbed"

*I'm a little concerned about all of the posts bashing PetCo and have been worried about some fish disease outbreak but, so far, all good.

I ended up returning the rock after finding out it was covered with Vermetid snails….

now I’m trying to make sure none of these creatures stayed in my tank.

Rock was also covered with Coralline

Attachments

• CFE38A57-6744-4098-A1A0-BE6D0FD4588F.jpeg
    CFE38A57-6744-4098-A1A0-BE6D0FD4588F.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 81

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a bit of advice from my experience: when using rocks from petco, you’ll need to expect ich and other protozoan illnesses. I recommend a fallow period before adding any fish. I jumped right in using rocks and livestock from petco, and I paid the price.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rock from petco as well. Came with coralline, bristle worms, three emerald crabs that she “couldn’t get out”, at least one brittle star, bunch of little fan worms, I’ve seen a few pineapple sponges. I’ve only seen a few copepods, but I’m sure there’s more. I’ve got plenty of hair, turf, and film algae, but it’s a new tank, and it’s feeding the snails.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping I just got lucky with my PetCo live rock.
5 months and all 2 of my fish are still fine but I guess we'll see. (Too late now)

I do have vertemid tubes sticking out of mine also but mine are way darker than the ones in your pic and I've never seen any sign of life from them -- no mesh/net extensions feeding or anything.
Hoping that means they're just dead but who knows.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have vertemid tubes sticking out of mine also but mine are way darker than the ones in your pic and I've never seen any sign of life from them -- no mesh/net extensions feeding or anything.
Hoping that means they're just dead but who knows.
You could probably test it out by crushing one. If white film comes out, then they are likely alive, and just not feeding often.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vertemid may be eaten by bumblebee snails (no personal experience) reefcleaners.org

bacteria is also in water

quarantine tanks are useful tanks for observations before adding something to main tank - even a small 5 gallon setup can be beneficial

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vertemid may be eaten by bumblebee snails (no personal experience) reefcleaners.org

bacteria is also in water

quarantine tanks are useful tanks for observations before adding something to main tank - even a small 5 gallon setup can be beneficial
+1
I lost a lot of fish due to not quarantining.
I have read that bb snails eat vermetids, but disclaimer, mine did not.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Returning the rock because of some vermetids seems a little extreme, I’m surprised they took it back since they don’t have a guarantee on SW stuff. You’ll end up with vermetids in your tank unless you quarantine all corals. IME, they’re not a big deal, I think a lot of people wildly overreact about them (and most hitchhikers).

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Returning the rock because of some vermetids seems a little extreme, I’m surprised they took it back since they don’t have a guarantee on SW stuff. You’ll end up with vermetids in your tank unless you quarantine all corals. IME, they’re not a big deal, I think a lot of people wildly overreact about them (and most hitchhikers).
I think how bad they are depends on where they are. Mine were right next to my leathers, trapping them in nets and keeping them from opening. After killing them there was a noticeable improvement.

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also used rocks out of petcos tanks without major issues. The old stamped reef rocks and a man made rock I busted up for rubble. Never know with Petco tanks though.

OP
OP
eddiegee

eddiegee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

from what I’ve read regarding vermetid snails is that they’re hard to get rid of and can end up damaging corals. I’m just starting and would like to have a few corals in the future so not willing to chance it. These things are also a bit repulsive when you zoom in on them :).

They’re probably one of the reasons why Petco‘s coral selection looks pretty sad.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what I’ve read regarding vermetid snails is that they’re hard to get rid of and can end up damaging corals. I’m just starting and would like to have a few corals in the future so not willing to chance it. These things are also a bit repulsive when you zoom in on them :).

They’re probably one of the reasons why Petco‘s coral selection looks pretty sad.
Poor maintenence, uncaring low paid staff... it may not always be the case but often is. I've heard of some really good petcos and some horrible ones. I've gotten some blue legged hermits from outs before.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back