Cycling week 6 - Is the universe trying to teach me patience or am I doing something wrong?

Tomsk7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm brand new to reef tanking. I set up a 180 gallon tank, with a 40 gallon breeder sump. I used Microbacter Start XLM and QuickCycl to get things rolling. It took 3 weeks to get to a point where my ammonia dropped to zero. Since then, I have dosed ammonia twice and it drops to zero in 12-18 hours. I take this to mean the strain of bacteria that consumes ammonia is alive and well. Nitrites, however, are a different story. They don't budge. They were up as high as 4 ppm. I did four 15% water changes in a row. That got them all the way down to 3.2 ppm. Then I stopped doing that because everything else was jumping all over and I thought that I should stablize things and let the bacteria do its job.

I also decided that, having read many different reviews, perhaps Dr. Tim's One & Only would have been a better choice. So I dosed that. Twice. That got Nitrites down to 2 ppm. Where they now stand (for the past 10 days), obstinately mocking my efforts and defying my hope to one day put fish in my tank.

During that time, Nitrates have dropped from 60+ ppm to 19.9ppm and Phosphates from 0.9 ppm to 0.5 ppm, so they look to be heading in the right direction.

But the Nitrites, alas ... Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

For reference, here are all my parameters:

WaterParameters.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your cycle is done, can begin, nitrites are no longer factored in reef tank cycling. your tester for nitrite isn't accepted as accurate either, we routinely slam api for its ammonia but then accept any stated nitrite reading by it as valid/that duality is old cycling rules.

ammonia control is all that matters, and all 6 weeks cycles are done vs stuck. your logged ammonia control is really good proof you're all set.

*before adding fish, which the tank can carry for sure, you must select a disease protocol from the fish disease forum or you efforts to keep them alive won't make the summertime if post patterns from the disease forum on newly cycled tanks means anything.

your exact cycle issue was handled here. 100% of any tank here has your same symptoms for nitrite at the start.

*the new cycling info regarding nitrites doesn't apply anywhere except a cycling reef display tank full of surface area at common salinities. freshwater cycling does not work this way, we're lucky due to chloride presence per Randy's article I link on page 1 there.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back