Cycling with Dr. Tim's and Ammonia

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am setting up a 24 gallon cube AIO tank. It is going to be used to temporarily house my 2 clownfish that are almost out of the hospital tank, while my other tank is fallow (ich).

I am trying to cycle it so that I can move them in the next week or two, but would like to not put them through the ammonia spikes and such again (like I initially did). They've been through enough lol.

It's a barebottom tank with PVC and bio balls in it. I added 2 small bottles of Dr. Tims, temp is 82 degrees, and then dosed ammonia on day 1. Parameters being read on Red Sea marine kit.

Ammonia has been at above 2, and I have been trying to replace the water to get it down. It looks like it's at, or just above 2 right now. Nitrates are 2, nitrites are at 0.2. I haven't added any additional ammonia since the first time, since it's so high. What do I do? Just wait it out now and let it happen, since I see nitrites and nitrates?

Thanks!

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom tanks are notorious for longer cycle times. There is less area for the bacteria to Congregate. Perhaps try adding some media to the tank or add some turbo start or kickstart product.

Good luck.

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I added a air stone to my tank when I was cycling. Only for about 36 hours though.
Thanks for the input. I do have some of those ceramic media balls (3 in tank, 3 in the chamber in back), along with some sponge filters that should help hold some bacteria. I'm just wondering I guess if the Ammonia is too much / should I supplement, or just hold out until ammonia gets below 1.

supernanoguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea ammonia is too high for fish. Especially seeing as the bacteria is struggling to keep up with no fish. I would add more kickstart maybe kick the lights up /on more. Waiting 36 hours and test again. Also digital checkers are the way to go.

OP
OP
J

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if your water source is consistent that would be a good place to start. If you used tap or something not sure.
Thanks, I have an RODI unit so that should be good. Maybe I'll do a small water change to get some of the ammonia out.

Thanks again!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back