Cycling with live rock and sand.

GoldenMediaGirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on cycling my new tank with wet live rock and sand. Sould I fill the tank with saltwater first so they don't dry out? And should I add some additional Bacteria and ammonia to help the cycle?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on cycling my new tank with wet live rock and sand. Sould I fill the tank with saltwater first so they don't dry out? And should I add some additional Bacteria and ammonia to help the cycle?

You don't want the live rock to dry out. Fill up your reef, and if possible, wrap the live rock with newspaper during transportation.

Sand first, fill up close to the top, then add your live rock.

I'd still monitor (test) your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates in case you hit a mini cycle.

If you're only detecting nitrates over a week, then add a couple of hardy fish.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your source of wet live rock? What is your desired livestock for your tank?

I use diver collected live rock & sand. However, I cycle dry aroggonite with nitrification bacteria using bottled bacteria & ammonia prior to introduction of live rock. I ship next day air to minimize die off. Because I wanted a minimalistic ornamental seaweed mixed garden lagoon with diver collected rock from 30’ of water 30 miles west of Tampa Bay.

PS: Both of these tanks are 6 months mature.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to add ammonia or bacteria. Just monitor for die off, as already suggested. You got a pic of the rocks?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back