Cycling with one and only

shadynate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am setting up a new reef and have some questions about cycling. I used CaribSea liferock and live sand. I put Dr Tim's one and only bacteria in and dosed the 4 drops of Ammonia per gallon. I realize I was supposed to use half the amount of drops since I was using life sand. My ammonia on day 5 is near 3-4ppm and nitrite essentially 0 (there is a slight pink hue on the test but water is essentially clear). I am supposed to dose ammonia again tomorrow, but I am going to pass on it since the ammonia is high. I read somewhere the bacteria need carbon. Would you guys advise me to add a bit of fish food to get the cycle going? Or be patient and wait for the ammonia to come down. I know if the ammonia gets too high it can stall the bacteria. What would you guys recommend?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

agreed
add it now wait another week all set, do water change, no more testing needed.

OP
OP
S

shadynate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I am on day 16 and the nitrite is very high. Ammonia has come back down to 0ppm. I am not seeing nitrite turn into nitrate. I read on the cycling aquarium thread to dose ammonia again until it comes to 0ppm overnight. Even though the nitrite is very high (well over 1ppm), should I add more ammonia to get it to 2 ppm again? Or should I continue waiting for the nitrite to get converted to nitrate. Hope that makes sense.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no

its good, we don't care about nitrite in updated cycling science

do your full ending water change for the win if you choose to care about it

don't re dose ammonia, do a large/full water change for your own peace of mind

if you didn't do one, your animals are still ok, nitrite isn't burning them at reef salinities

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Don't pay attention to that advice. Nitrite <is> dangerous to your animals.
I have to agree with Brandon429 - In marine setting, unless Nitrite is sky high (above 80) it has no impact on chemistry as often the presence of nitrite generally indicates the aquarium is cycling as nitrite is not toxic at all to Marine fish or I should say, NOT notable as being toxic.
In freshwater- thats a whole different effect

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back