Cycling

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Steven27, @brandon429 push for qt is valid. Also it isn't. There are both successful tanks with and without QT. There are also unsuccessful fallow and qt systems as well as not qt'd tank. I just read a thread where someone did everything right and got ich anyway. Also seen plenty of tanks fail with no qt.

So the point @brandon429 makes that IS good, is to spend time reading the disease section. And make your choices carefully based on your situation. QTs aren't always easy... but they are a helpful tool to many successful tanks.

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Steven27, @brandon429 push for qt is valid. Also it isn't. There are both successful tanks with and without QT. There are also unsuccessful fallow and qt systems as well as not qt'd tank. I just read a thread where someone did everything right and got ich anyway. Also seen plenty of tanks fail with no qt.

So the point @brandon429 makes that IS good, is to spend time reading the disease section. And make your choices carefully based on your situation. QTs aren't always easy... but they are a helpful tool to many successful tanks.
I would agree with that there’s not a set standard and it’s 200 percent. Nothing is a 100 percent I would imagine many on this forum did not qt and it worked out. Others probably did qt and it did work out. Point being they can both work. I will read into disease prevention.

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with that there’s not a set standard and Nothing is a 100 percent I would imagine many on this forum did not qt and it worked out. Others probably did qt and it did work out. Point being they can both work. I will read into disease prevention.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try and keep this short and simple.
Looking at your pictures of your test and doing catch up reading, you are not done cycling...your ammonia should be at zero, nitrites at zero and nitrates should slowly go up to indicate cycling is coming to a end.
Remember when you add fish ammonia will go up a little , then nitrites will go up a little and then they go to zero as nitrates go up.
Leaving you with how to deal with keeping nitrates in check.
This is a constant process.
I like and use the Brightwell process of cycle and maintenance program.
Use Rodi water. They have the whole process on their website.
1. add Microbacter Start XLM bacteria
2. add Microbacter Clean and Bio Fuel
3. add Microbacter 7 after 4 months to help maintain good bacteria.
Since you used Dr. Tims to start, I agree I would not mix different start bacteria products but I do not see any issue using steps 2 and 3.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No anemone. Okay sounds good I’ll probably add the neon blue goby and royal gramma first.
You could probably even add those two fish together and just wait about 2 weeks or so to add the pair of clownfish.

I will try and keep this short and simple.
Looking at your pictures of your test and doing catch up reading, you are not done cycling...your ammonia should be at zero, nitrites at zero and nitrates should slowly go up to indicate cycling is coming to a end.
Remember when you add fish ammonia will go up a little , then nitrites will go up a little and then they go to zero as nitrates go up.
Leaving you with how to deal with keeping nitrates in check.
This is a constant process.
I like and use the Brightwell process of cycle and maintenance program.
Use Rodi water. They have the whole process on their website.
1. add Microbacter Start XLM bacteria
2. add Microbacter Clean and Bio Fuel
3. add Microbacter 7 after 4 months to help maintain good bacteria.
Since you used Dr. Tims to start, I agree I would not mix different start bacteria products but I do not see any issue using steps 2 and 3.
Agreed. Just a quick note for you, @1ocean , if I understand correctly, Dr. Tim's bacteria was not added in this case. @Steven27 's tank was started with some "live rock" from a wet tank at the LFS, a few pieces of Life rock, and addition of Bio Spira bacteria along with dosing Dr. Tim's ammonia chloride for an ammonia source.

Until the added ammonia is processed, I think fish should not be added. I personally would probably also wait for the drop in nitrite and rise in nitrates to make sure the tank is cycling seamlessly per @Lasse 's advice.

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could probably even add those two fish together and just wait about 2 weeks or so to add the pair of clownfish.

Agreed. Just a quick note for you, @1ocean , if I understand correctly, Dr. Tim's bacteria was not added in this case. @Steven27 's tank was started with some "live rock" from a wet tank at the LFS, a few pieces of Life rock, and addition of Bio Spira bacteria along with dosing Dr. Tim's ammonia chloride for an ammonia source.

Until the added ammonia is processed, I think fish should not be added. I personally would probably also wait for the drop in nitrite and rise in nitrates to make sure the tank is cycling seamlessly per @Lasse 's advice.
I dosed ammonia on Friday night current levels not sure why the nitrite levels are not matching the chart. The ammonia picture is from yesterday so roughly 24 hours after dosing ammonia I believe the ammonia level was around 1-2 ppm when I dosed. The other ammonia picture was 12 hours after dosing the ammonia on Friday. Not sure if the nitrite test is off.

Attachments

• 4E1F90E5-7E99-4784-9D3E-78EE6E57BF6E.jpeg
    4E1F90E5-7E99-4784-9D3E-78EE6E57BF6E.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 9DDA6EAC-45AD-4A41-88F5-A17233F5B719.jpeg
    9DDA6EAC-45AD-4A41-88F5-A17233F5B719.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 04F9E104-3D23-40E2-ACC4-DC8A8F0AEE55.jpeg
    04F9E104-3D23-40E2-ACC4-DC8A8F0AEE55.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 21
  • FBE5E492-9D72-45A3-9A93-8A27F3CB4AE7.jpeg
    FBE5E492-9D72-45A3-9A93-8A27F3CB4AE7.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 18

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed ammonia on Friday night current levels not sure why the nitrite levels are not matching the chart. The ammonia picture is from yesterday so roughly 24 hours after dosing ammonia I believe the ammonia level was around 1-2 ppm when I dosed. The other ammonia picture was 12 hours after dosing the ammonia on Friday. Not sure if the nitrite test is off.
If I understand correctly, you dosed ammonia again on Friday to about 1 ppm and have these results about 24-48 hours later?
Those results are what you are looking for in an initial cycling, as far as I understand.
Ammonia at 0.25 ppm is within the error of the testing method and may actually be zero. Nitrites should have come up like the test shows, since ammonia is converted to nitrites. Presence of nitrates means that nitrites are also being converted to nitrates, so the cycle is completing all the way through. If the bacteria can process that much ammonia in that time frame, you should be safe for the addition of your first fish without any more dosing of ammonia.

Watching for nitrites to fall to zero as well is an extra safe-guard, as it shows the capabilities to completely convert ammonia to nitrites then nitrites to nitrates efficiently.

What I would do personally with your tank at this stage is a 25-30% water change then add the first fish while following your chosen method for disease prevention protocol.

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand correctly, you dosed ammonia again on Friday to about 1 ppm and have these results about 24-48 hours later?
Those results are what you are looking for in an initial cycling, as far as I understand.
Ammonia at 0.25 ppm is within the error of the testing method and may actually be zero. Nitrites should have come up like the test shows, since ammonia is converted to nitrites. Presence of nitrates means that nitrites are also being converted to nitrates, so the cycle is completing all the way through. If the bacteria can process that much ammonia in that time frame, you should be safe for the addition of your first fish without any more dosing of ammonia.

Watching for nitrites to fall to zero as well is an extra safe-guard, as it shows the capabilities to completely convert ammonia to nitrites then nitrites to nitrates efficiently.

What I would do personally with your tank at this stage is a 25-30% water change then add the first fish while following your chosen method for disease prevention protocol.
That is correct. Okay sounds good if I were to add more live rock would it cause parameters to spike? The lfs is really close by not sure if any die off would occur.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is correct. Okay sounds good if I were to add more live rock would it cause parameters to spike? The lfs is really close by not sure if any die off would occur.
What is on the live rock from your LFS? The previous rock looked like it was just soaked rock with bacteria cultures but did not have life like sponges, macroalgae, coralline algae, etc. like ocean-direct live rock would have.
If it is just soaked rock, I would guess that die-off would have minimal effect. If you choose to add more rock, it likely will not hurt to wait a bit and re-test parameters to see if it causes any issues. I don't expect any issues, but I'm not experienced enough nor know enough about your LFS live rock to answer with complete confidence...

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is on the live rock from your LFS? The previous rock looked like it was just soaked rock with bacteria cultures but did not have life like sponges, macroalgae, coralline algae, etc. like ocean-direct live rock would have.
If it is just soaked rock, I would guess that die-off would have minimal effect. If you choose to add more rock, it likely will not hurt to wait a bit and re-test parameters to see if it causes any issues. I don't expect any issues, but I'm not experienced enough nor know enough about your LFS live rock to answer with complete confidence...
The arch and large piece are life rock and everything else is live rock. I conducted a water change since the tank has finished cycling and the nitrates are still high I replaced 5 gallons. The first picture is from earlier today and the second picture is about a couple minutes after the water change.

Attachments

• BE52ED20-8EB0-4457-ABC7-0EDEB7169694.jpeg
    BE52ED20-8EB0-4457-ABC7-0EDEB7169694.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 5780F01B-EA7F-4E80-B8A2-06BDACECCBA7.jpeg
    5780F01B-EA7F-4E80-B8A2-06BDACECCBA7.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The arch and large piece are life rock and everything else is live rock. I conducted a water change since the tank has finished cycling and the nitrates are still high I replaced 5 gallons. The first picture is from earlier today and the second picture is about a couple minutes after the water change.
Conducted another water changing removing 5 gallons. Both are the same not sure which is accurate just ones closer to the chart.

Attachments

• 806EF652-3ABC-4D2D-B04B-B8C7BC74C11D.jpeg
    806EF652-3ABC-4D2D-B04B-B8C7BC74C11D.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 915851B7-F18C-49B6-BE8E-CFD66790B8FD.jpeg
    915851B7-F18C-49B6-BE8E-CFD66790B8FD.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 14

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conducted another water changing removing 5 gallons. Both are the same not sure which is accurate just ones closer to the chart.
Either one looks fine for the introduction of fish. Marine fish can typically be unaffected by nitrates up to 200+ ppm, if I remember correctly. I think a lot of FOWLRs run at 40-100+ ppm nitrates.

It is corals and other invertebrates that are more sensitive to nitrates, but 10 ppm still should not be a problem. Just do more water changes to bring the nitrates down if you are concerned.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem as long as your ammonia is low. I’m assuming you’ve still got a bit of nitrite which is messin with your nitrate test. These nitrate tests give indication of trends up or down rather than a definitive number, looks ok from here.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steven

when perusing non qt options only sample reefs that used two pre cycled rocks with no growths on them and two dry start rocks for the base. Not joking, that context matters 100% in the options you sample to choose when adding fish

specifically don’t try and copy the fish addition technique not from the disease forum that comes from a tank at someone’s home full of coral running ten years

nobody says it has to be you that quarantines. I’d buy them pre qt if I owned a reef larger than one gallon.

if your reef here was 100% dry start bottle bac you could skip the fallow phase, but due to bringing over live rock you likely can’t

** one caveat

if the lfs held the live rock in a bin where no fish has been, they are selling fallowed cycled rock and that’s cause for a rock and roll party. You could add in pre quarantined fish, skip fallow preps here, and still be performing today’s top fish disease prep-from the fish disease forum-matched well to your starting rock arrangement.

OP
OP
S

Steven27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a problem as long as your ammonia is low. I’m assuming you’ve still got a bit of nitrite which is messin with your nitrate test. These nitrate tests give indication of trends up or down rather than a definitive number, looks ok from here.
No nitrites I haven’t checked since yesterday

Attachments

• CCEF9320-780F-4916-B865-7EC43A30C90F.jpeg
    CCEF9320-780F-4916-B865-7EC43A30C90F.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 7

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Steven27 As mentioned above, I would recommend that you read about the different disease prevention methods including quarantining and decide what method you would like to employ for your tank.

Buying pre-quarantined fish takes some of the headache out, since you are trusting the difficulties and need for extra equipment to a professional (even though it costs a bit more).

I don't know if you have mentioned anything about quarantine or disease prevention yet?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No nitrites I haven’t checked since yesterday
Happy days. Looks like your test kit wasn’t faulty, lol. Let the fun begin. Getting your fish from a good LFS that quarantines, is the easiest way to start, IMO. However I use “safety stop” from blue life and a period of 2 to 4 weeks in an observation tank. Being new, you probably will want to do the minimum.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back