Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently asking Jay to clarify his writing there, can't wait for updates.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have algae that has appears since you started the tank, then you are most likely OK. Ammonia test kits are not great and can be full of error. If you have no nitrite, then you are also OK. Some, who do not understand the whole nitrogen cycle, might tell you that no nitrate is a bad sign and they don't know that much rock has anaerobic regions to turn no3 into nitrogen gas and thus complete the whole nitrogen cycle.

You are good. You still have to go slow and be smart - always remember that any tank has bacteria populations that are to the current equilibrium and while they can very quickly reproduce, fish gills can burn faster if you go overboard with stocking and feeding.

Unless you are going to keep a coral/invert QT for your whole life, then fallowing these inverts does no good. You will need new inverts eventually and they do not live long - like a few years. Coral/invert QT is a good idea, but nearly nobody does it and those that do rarely do it right. I recommend that you check it out and see if one is for you. You will need a fish QT tank too. If this is not going to happen in your instance, then having real live rock to supply critters to eat disease tomonts when they fall off of the fish is a good start - this is a huge step in disease management.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back