Cyno algae problem

Jack biocube 32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my tank (biocube 32) up and running since December. Around three months ago I got hit with horrible cyno. It’s a never ending battle. I’ve trying reducing the time my lights were on full power, reduced feedings, changed foods, got curtains to remove all natural daylight. Any tips on how to remove?

ACDD2ABB-46C4-4EA8-A6DE-C4E93536BAE2.jpeg 52C53686-2E70-4567-8E84-3F3918BFDB4A.jpeg 43A0D6A7-3D77-4C82-983D-94AE05F719D2.jpeg

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use chemipure cyano remover at half the recommended dose with great success. Been a month or so now since i used it and ive not had a smidge of cyano come back. If you’re at your wits end, I recommend giving it a try. I added a cheap air pump with an air stone during the 48hr treatment period to add extra gas exchange just in case.

OP
OP
Jack biocube 32

Jack biocube 32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use chemipure cyano remover at half the recommended dose with great success. Been a month or so now since i used it and ive not had a smidge of cyano come back. If you’re at your wits end, I recommend giving it a try. I added a cheap air pump with an air stone during the 48hr treatment period to add extra gas exchange just in case.
Thanks, I think I’ll have to take a look at it. Just wondering if it ever effected your corals negatively?

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I think I’ll have to take a look at it. Just wondering if it ever effected your corals negatively?
Yeah I realized that dry rock question wasn’t for me lol, my bad.

But to answer your question, nope all of my coral stayed the same during and after the treatment, I have sps, lps, and softies. All of them were fine, same with fish and inverts.

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Chemipure EXACTLY like the instructions say. Add an air pump follow directions. Took out 100% of my Cyano. I have a maxima clam and AUS gold torch among other high end corals and couple anemones. Nothing was hurt and they were not bothered by the treatment.
It was amazing results and I’m sold on chemipure. I was hesitant as I have never been one to add meds to a reef tank. This was a newer nano I set up and Cyano was BAD. It’s been 2 months since treatement ended and it’s all great. Highly recommend it but following directions. No need to half dosage. I did water change and then full treatment with no carbon. Then 25% WC and did second treatment 48 hrs later. Then WC again and Cyano was all gone.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’d this way turn out, took two hours:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I claim no other method beats that, any way we measure the outcome

the catch is, it’s only for nano tankers. Large tankers usually won’t disassembly clean, and by usually I mean not including Jon :)

120 gallon same job
those two disassembly cleaning threads show jobs orders harder than yours would be as a new tank. Those had sps in tow all set in to care for

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a half dose because I have only have a 10G and I wasn’t really sure about it. Given how successful it was, I would probably do the full recommended dose a second time around, so I agree with reefingaz. You can be conservative if you want though, it won’t do you any harm. Worst case scenario is some cyano goes away and you’ll have to do a second round of treatment.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back