Cyno / GHA id please

dherman15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been fighting red slime looking stuff and what I presume as GHA for a little over a month.
Been conducting weekly 30% water changes and reduced feedings to combat.
Finally got a microscope to confirm the enemy.
Please confirm
First picture is red Cyno?
Second is GHA? which type?
sorry in advance for image quality

Cyno.jpg
GHA.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cyano - no doubt
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

Sandbaggin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano - no doubt
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
How would a protein skimmer cause the red cyno to bloom in a tank?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How would a protein skimmer cause the red cyno to bloom in a tank?
In a sense of speaking, will help them thrive. If your skimmer is filling with water and shows tiny air bubbles, these bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them and escapes if the skimmer is under sized or not running properly. These bubbles along with molecules can encourage and feed the cyano allowing the cyano to reproduce.

Sandbaggin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a sense of speaking, will help them thrive. If your skimmer is filling with water and shows tiny air bubbles, these bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them and escapes if the skimmer is under sized or not running properly. These bubbles along with molecules can encourage and feed the cyano allowing the cyano to reproduce.
Ok I understand if the skimmer is undersized that makes sense, but what about a properly sized skimmer running dryer and not wet bubbles? Would this have an adverse effect? I am just wondering because I'm starting to see red slime in my 29g tank and im new to saltwater hobby, not new to th we aquarium hobby but this is my first saltwater tank.

Sandbaggin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I understand if the skimmer is undersized that makes sense, but what about a properly sized skimmer running dryer and not wet bubbles? Would this have an adverse effect? I am just wondering because I'm starting to see red slime in my 29g tank and im new to saltwater hobby, not new to th we aquarium hobby but this is my first saltwater tank.
If I am u derstanding this correctly the micro bubbles that are getting back into the display can help the red slime because of the organic compounds that they are carrying back into the tank from the skimmer, because the skimmer wasn't able to remove them?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
If I am u derstanding this correctly the micro bubbles that are getting back into the display can help the red slime because of the organic compounds that they are carrying back into the tank from the skimmer, because the skimmer wasn't able to remove them?
Yes and a proper sized skimmer correctly dialed in will help remove these compounds
This again will help greatly: I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons.

Sandbaggin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and a proper sized skimmer correctly dialed in will help remove these compounds
This again will help greatly: I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons.
A refugium would help greatly would this would it not, for out competing nutrition the algae is thriving on?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A refugium would help greatly would this would it not, for out competing nutrition the algae is thriving on?
It’s not an algae but bacteria.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back