10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Towards the evening,
35BBB11F-C53B-4C0C-9EB5-67120B74C4C9.jpeg
bubbles start to appear on the mass

Is the tank pretty new? Sometimes cyano appears even though your water parameters look well. In that case, maybe consider adding something like dr. tim's waste away. My thought is that well if the numbers are right, maybe add something to compete. PNS probio is another great option.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank pretty new? Sometimes cyano appears even though your water parameters look well. In that case, maybe consider adding something like dr. tim's waste away. My thought is that well if the numbers are right, maybe add something to compete. PNS probio is another great option.
Yes. The tanks is only 4 months old. Will the micro bater 7 work ?

what’s crazy is I didn’t see any issues until after I added a second mp10. i Got tons of flow. But maybe not necessarily on the sand

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The tanks is only 4 months old. Will the micro bater 7 work ?

what’s crazy is I didn’t see any issues until after I added a second mp10. i Got tons of flow. But maybe not necessarily on the sand

Cyano can grow in high flow.

Microbacter 7 has some of the bacteria that might help. I am assuming you already have some?

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano can grow in high flow.

Microbacter 7 has some of the bacteria that might help. I am assuming you already have some?
Yes But I will go to the store this weekend and pick up what you suggested.

just ran all my numbers with Hanna. I’ve been feeding less and it shows with the trates and phos.

ive noticed a few acros dulling out and thought it was because of my light adjustments. I wonder If its because my drop in nutrients or alk?

B0681BB7-6EBA-4005-ABA0-7E57CCF9B837.jpeg

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes But I will go to the store this weekend and pick up what you suggested.

just ran all my numbers with Hanna. I’ve been feeding less and it shows with the trates and phos.

ive noticed a few acros dulling out and thought it was because of my light adjustments. I wonder If its because my drop in nutrients or alk?

B0681BB7-6EBA-4005-ABA0-7E57CCF9B837.jpeg

Hmm, in that case maybe just finish what you have of the mb7 and feed some more. Maybe consider siphoning the sand bed too. You definitely don't want to go lower on those numbers.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, in that case maybe just finish what you have of the mb7 and feed some more. Maybe consider siphoning the sand bed too. You definitely don't want to go lower on those numbers.
I ordered some dr tims anyway. I will keep dosing the mb7 for now. I added some aminos and the sps polyps went crazy. Just need to stay consistent with feeding. I’m going to dose some phyto feast too.

i did get a vacuum last week and did one round Im going to make a batch of salt water and syphon each day for a few days.

im trying to find the root cause Of the Cyno though. Could excess silicates cause this issue?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano and Dinos thrive with excess organics.

If it was me I’d remove the sand bed, rinse it out really well with tap then final rinse in RO. Then put back a very shallow layer.

Increase flow, surface agitation, and filtration. What foods are you feeding?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some aminos and the sps polyps went crazy. Just need to stay consistent with feeding. I’m going to dose some phyto feast too.
This is not a good idea. That adds more than just P:N, it adds carbon which isn’t good right now. If you want to raise your nutrients, dose phosphates and nitrates.

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally impossible to starve cyano or dinos any attempt to win by starving is going to be futile.

Typically its just due to a nutrient imbalance, not "too many nutrients" often times the imbalance is because of too little nitrate and too much phosphate.

Test both, if you see that is the case better get to dosing up your nitrates aim for 10ppm

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some dr tims anyway. I will keep dosing the mb7 for now. I added some aminos and the sps polyps went crazy. Just need to stay consistent with feeding. I’m going to dose some phyto feast too.

i did get a vacuum last week and did one round Im going to make a batch of salt water and syphon each day for a few days.

im trying to find the root cause Of the Cyno though. Could excess silicates cause this issue?

The amino are great but just be careful as cyano can use it too. You can always do a quick round of chemiclean too. It takes about 3 days but wipes it out and usually it doesn't come back unless your tank has bad water but yours I suspect it would not.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano and Dinos thrive with excess organics.

If it was me I’d remove the sand bed, rinse it out really well with tap then final rinse in RO. Then put back a very shallow layer.

Increase flow, surface agitation, and filtration. What foods are you feeding?
I will consider the sand thing but want to try to manage by siphoning

I feed myisis and flakes which could be the issue. But I’ve been feeding that since January. I just ordered two different types of pellets

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will consider the sand thing but want to try to manage by siphoning

I feed myisis and flakes which could be the issue. But I’ve been feeding that since January. I just ordered two different types of pellets

Those foods would be an issue. The sand thing would be more if you don't have a lot of detritus eating critters in the sand and the cyano is just feeding off of the waste (hence why I recommended the bacterial additive to eat said waste). Again, just make sure to keep the numbers in line

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: suggestions to dose bacter -- that will likely just lower your nutrients further and not correct your imbalance. It is very commonly suggested dinos and cyano happen because you have too many nutrients and there for dosing bacter will help consume the nutrients and out compete the cyano / dino.

In my experience cannot be farther from truth. Cyano or Dinos only invade tanks with too little phosphate or too little nitrate, a general imbalance. Attempting to starve will never work they are edge competitors and will always thrive even when nothing else will.

Rebalance your tanks nutrients and you will see it magically disappear.

Starvation almost never fix anything~

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Re: suggestions to dose bacter -- that will likely just lower your nutrients further and not correct your imbalance. It is very commonly suggested dinos and cyano happen because you have too many nutrients and there for dosing bacter will help consume the nutrients and out compete the cyano / dino.

In my experience cannot be farther from truth. Cyano or Dinos only invade tanks with too little phosphate or too little nitrate, a general imbalance. Attempting to starve will never work they are edge competitors and will always thrive even when nothing else will.

Rebalance your tanks nutrients and you will see it magically disappear.

Starvation almost never fix anything~

I'm not suggesting to lower nitrate and phosphate, but rather keep the numbers in line and dose the bacteria as a means to clean out whatever the source that the cyano is getting its "food" from. The idea is that the bacteria will clean out the sand or rock of whatever may be the "food" source for the cyano. But as I stated it's very important that they keep the numbers in the right lane as otherwise it would make things worse.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have ESV nitrate and can use reef roids for phosphate. I will start with the esv tomorrow

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have ESV nitrate and can use reef roids for phosphate. I will start with the esv tomorrow
I would test first then dose. You dont have a salifert nitrate test kit handy?

Cyano is almost always the low nitrate issue so it will likely be nitrates you need to address.

It wont take too long to see results once you correct it probably around 1 week

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS you still need to manual remove the cyano after you address nutrients. Light brushing/ blowing with your hand / power head should make quick work of it. Let your filter sock catch it all and remove it from tank.

Once nutrients are fixed it wont reappear. If you just clean without fixing imbalance then it simply grows back immediately

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and can use reef roids
This is a bad idea. I do not suggest this at all. I’ve beat dinos a few times very rapidly (faster than the average reefer IMO). I’d bet whoever is suggesting to feed reef roids has never really battled Dinos or cyano.

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bad idea. I do not suggest this at all. I’ve beat dinos a few times very rapidly (faster than the average reefer IMO). I’d bet whoever is suggesting to feed reef roids has never really battled Dinos or cyano.
I don’t think anyone suggested it. I won’t add any. I think the consensus was its cyno

OP
OP
lubeck

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test first then dose. You dont have a salifert nitrate test kit handy?

Cyano is almost always the low nitrate issue so it will likely be nitrates you need to address.

It wont take too long to see results once you correct it probably around 1 week
I posted my numbers above. Nitrate is at 3.5 and phos at .02

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back