Cyno?

RKeenan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok knowledge gang! I have an algae been fighting for about 3 weeks now and after researching my butt off, still not sure what it is. Using RODI 4 stage (just changed), have a recent ATS (Turbo Aquatics) addition that is just starting to get some growth, use TM pro salt, frequent water changes 20% a week, have a few turbo/nassarius snails and hermit crabs, Phosphates on point 0.03 but Nitrates are high at 19 (although have been coming down and was over 30 2 weeks ago). Been keeping the lights down at 25%Blue/10% white for only 7 hrs a day for a few weeks now. 3 tangs and a few other fish in tank that get 2 cubes and a turn on the AFS each day. Have filter socks changed every 2 to 3 days and still this algae is hanging in. Rocks are almost perfectly clean but sand bed is a mess. It does not "blow away" or disappear when lights are out and really is not easy to siphon from sand. Soooo any ideas on what it is and what I can do?

20210727_144331.jpg
n do? Brown reddish and

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to get a good look under the blues. Take a white light pic. How old is your tank?

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok knowledge gang! I have an algae been fighting for about 3 weeks now and after researching my butt off, still not sure what it is. Using RODI 4 stage (just changed), have a recent ATS (Turbo Aquatics) addition that is just starting to get some growth, use TM pro salt, frequent water changes 20% a week, have a few turbo/nassarius snails and hermit crabs, Phosphates on point 0.03 but Nitrates are high at 19 (although have been coming down and was over 30 2 weeks ago). Been keeping the lights down at 25%Blue/10% white for only 7 hrs a day for a few weeks now. 3 tangs and a few other fish in tank that get 2 cubes and a turn on the AFS each day. Have filter socks changed every 2 to 3 days and still this algae is hanging in. Rocks are almost perfectly clean but sand bed is a mess. It does not "blow away" or disappear when lights are out and really is not easy to siphon from sand. Soooo any ideas on what it is and what I can do?

20210727_144331.jpg
n do? Brown reddish and
Your water changes should be more like 30-40 % per week but to drop your nitrates i would do 2 30% water changes within 2 days

OP
OP
R

RKeenan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water changes should be more like 30-40 % per week but to drop your nitrates i would do 2 30% water changes within 2 days
Tank is about 8 months but was down 2 months with a Velvet outbreak (running but no live stock blacked out for 7 weeks). Been "back up" about 8 weeks. Was doing almost 70% (3 25 gallon changes) a week for 2 weeks when first started a month ago. Chilled out a little this week and last. Will try to get better pics.

OP
OP
R

RKeenan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a little greener here than is to naked eye. More brown/reddish and little darker.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cyano.
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
R

RKeenan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well put in some Red Slime (11 spoonful) a day ago. Pulled out carbon bag, added airstone and pulled top off skimmer lid
20210729_183003.jpg
. So far, everything looks the same. Think snail "rolled up" edge of it a little but other than that...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back