Cyphastria meteor shower colors are not right

Trever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since going in my tank almost 10 months ago (9 months and 21 days according to my app), my meteor shower has not retained the nice teal with red polyps it had in the store.

Instead it's green with orange polyps.

It has now grown into a good size colony and continues to grow exceptionally well (I can see why some consider it invasive). But it looks kinda gross. I got it precisely for it's beautiful colors.

Light? Flow? Nutrients? Anyone know the magic with this coral?

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those things will have an impact on the coloration of your corals, not just this one. Sometimes corals color shift under different tank conditions, sometimes they don't.

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain minor nutrients can alter coloration of your corals. You can always do an ICP test and see what minor elements you are deficient of and dose accordingly.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since going in my tank almost 10 months ago (9 months and 21 days according to my app), my meteor shower has not retained the nice teal with red polyps it had in the store.

Instead it's green with orange polyps.

It has now grown into a good size colony and continues to grow exceptionally well (I can see why some consider it invasive). But it looks kinda gross. I got it precisely for it's beautiful colors.

Would you consider your par equal to what they had it under in the lfs ? In my limited experience with cyphastrea, I only have a seafoam, they seem to like lower light. Of course if it’s encrusted it will be difficult to move it. Also, a healthy frag is often at the height of its colouration.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back