0   0   0
Daytime pic! :cool:

20221111-DSC_2139-Reef.jpg

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can honestly say, your systems have been inspirations. I remember reading about the original cube. The 200g was a work of art with a fish room with so much space. Dreams are made of such a setup. This setup, while modest by comparison, looks just as well thought out. I’m looking forward to watching it mature.

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a quick question regarding the TBS package you chose. Did you in fact get the 2lb of rock and 1 lb of sand per gallon of display as they suggest? I was thinking 2lbs of rock might be a little overkill but looking at your display wondered if you went that route cause it looks like the perfect amount of rock for your tank. Thanks!

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a quick question regarding the TBS package you chose. Did you in fact get the 2lb of rock and 1 lb of sand per gallon of display as they suggest? I was thinking 2lbs of rock might be a little overkill but looking at your display wondered if you went that route cause it looks like the perfect amount of rock for your tank. Thanks!
My tank is around 57g so I got about 50 lbs of sand and went less on the rock. Usually I’ll end up with an order that’s more around 75% of the recommended amount of rock and quite often end up with extra in my sump. I’m not really sure exactly how many lbs ended up in the display but definitely not the 2lb per gallon. Because of the cube shape I went a little more minimal in this one. But there is also a layer somewhat buried in sand so it looks like there is less than there really is.
In the past I have also found it very easy to sell any extra locally so I don’t worry too much about over ordering from a $ standpoint.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis good to see you back! Not sure how I hadn’t seen this thread until now, your photography skills have always impressed me man. Cannot wait to see this tank mature.

corey

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis good to see you back! Not sure how I hadn’t seen this thread until now, your photography skills have always impressed me man. Cannot wait to see this tank mature.

corey
Thanks, Corey! I just kinda snuck back in through the back door. :winking-face-with-tongue:

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what point did you start running your lights? Did you acclimate the lighting from the 1st delivery of base rock? Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At what point did you start running your lights? Did you acclimate the lighting from the 1st delivery of base rock? Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread.
No problem! I ran them at 50% power with just the rock and sand from Part 1 delivery. The sponges and stuff seem to like low light anyway. And continued with that after Part 2 delivery.
Started bumping it up after adding coral.

diverjm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! I ran them at 50% power with just the rock and sand from Part 1 delivery. The sponges and stuff seem to like low light anyway. And continued with that after Part 2 delivery.
Started bumping it up after adding coral.
Thanks! I’m paranoid about algae but it seems like less of a problem with live rock then dry rock.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m paranoid about algae but it seems like less of a problem with live rock then dry rock.
I've cleaned my glass twice in a month. And it barely needed it. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
The only algae on the rock is whatever macro and stuff came on it.
My nitrates are currently 11.4 ppm. Haven't tested phos yet.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is now one month old! :cool:

Current Fish:
2 Dispar Anthias
1 Coral Beauty Angel
1 Pajama Cardinal

Coral:
1 Acan
1 Red Goni
1 Gold Torch
1 Yellow Octospawn
1 Jawbreaker Mushroom
1 Galaxia

Everything is doing great.
Zero sign of any nuisance algae like diatoms and such.

20221207-DSCF1778-Reef.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:

Most things still going well but I sadly lost my torch this week. Not all that surprising since they can be a bit sensitive and this is a brand new tank, but still a bummer.

My Nitrates we’re up to about 13 and my P04 was over .2
Did some water changes and got N03 down to 6.8 and P04 is down to .75.
I was feeding 3x per day because of the Anthias. Guess I’m going to have to cut back a bit.

Meanwhile, I picked up a cheap SPS frag yesterday. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back