Daily dosing of low dose Lanthanum Chloride instead of GFO

eaglalbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Been dosing daily LC for several months now. Not using any other Phosphate remover except water changes.(water changes never seem to lower my phosphates).

400GAL mixed reef. Lots of acros . Phosphates where 1.0 and now 0.04 .

The method I use is this: 30mls/day dosed over 24 hours via Apex dos. The LC drips into a Clarisea fleece filter. Interestingly to me is that just a few drops will immediately clog the filter and make it roll. Using Brightwell Phosphate E.

My goal has been to maximize contact time of the LC with the water, before leaving the fleece, in order to remove the precipitate. To minimize precipitate in the display.

This should result in less adverse effect on the fish and corals.

ICP testing;
before daily dosing 0.008 Feb 2019
now since Oct 2019 is in the range of.022

No adverse effects to fish or corals that I can see. I have experienced unhappy Tangs when I dosed other ways like near the protein skimmer or bolus dosing.

Anyone else doing anything like this?

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never done it that way but I'll keep it in mind... I've been fighting with po4 for months since my old algae scrubber died my new one has just started growing beautiful green hair algae so I'm really hopeful..... I've been dosing 12 drops 12 hours apart then check the next day they are down, a week later back up to. 7 - 1.0.... I may try your way, are you mixing it with water to dilute it? I don't have auto dosers, maybe I could use my top up water, I'm sure I could figure out the math. I have to fill my ato every 2.5 days.... I'm gonna try it when they go back up next week.... Thanks

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar situation here, dripping 50% strength of phosphate RX, then water change after a few hours or the next day. Also run Chemipure, 50% GFO and 100% carbon.

dropped from .90 to about .35 now since about 6 weeks ago.

OP
OP
E

eaglalbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Been dosing daily LC for several months now. Not using any other Phosphate remover except water changes.(water changes never seem to lower my phosphates).

400GAL mixed reef. Lots of acros . Phosphates where 1.0 and now 0.04 .

The method I use is this: 30mls/day dosed over 24 hours via Apex dos. The LC drips into a Clarisea fleece filter. Interestingly to me is that just a few drops will immediately clog the filter and make it roll. Using Brightwell Phosphate E.

My goal has been to maximize contact time of the LC with the water, before leaving the fleece, in order to remove the precipitate. To minimize precipitate in the display.

This should result in less adverse effect on the fish and corals.

ICP testing;
before daily dosing 0.008 Feb 2019
now since Oct 2019 is in the range of.022

No adverse effects to fish or corals that I can see. I have experienced unhappy Tangs when I dosed other ways like near the protein skimmer or bolus dosing.

Anyone else doing anything like this?
Sorry I need to clarify:
ICP testing is for the element La.
Phosphates before daily dosing was 0.1 now 0.04.

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With daily dosing of LC, does the skimmer removes more gunk? Or do you think the phosphate is being eliminated through the use of a roller mat? I have dosed Phosphate RX. But I put the drops in the skimmer. The phosphates did come down. But right now I am trying to use KZ products to see if I can bring my phosphates down.

I may switch to your method, can you share how you diluted your LC? And where did you get the LC from, Amazon? In the past, I have used this calculator to dose Phos RX

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With daily dosing of LC, does the skimmer removes more gunk? Or do you think the phosphate is being eliminated through the use of a roller mat? I have dosed Phosphate RX. But I put the drops in the skimmer. The phosphates did come down. But right now I am trying to use KZ products to see if I can bring my phosphates down.

I may switch to your method, can you share how you diluted your LC? And where did you get the LC from, Amazon? In the past, I have used this calculator to dose Phos RX

I diluted with a bottle of water. Then use an IV kit at about a sec per drip into a 10 micron filter sock or skimmer works too I think.

kzp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I do exactly the same as the OP. I dose diluted phosphate rx. 2x/day via a GHL dosing pump directly into a Clarisea roller filter. My phosphates via Hanna LU phos. run between .02-.03. I have noticed adverse effects to fish and corals.

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I do exactly the same as the OP. I dose diluted phosphate rx. 2x/day via a GHL dosing pump directly into a Clarisea roller filter. My phosphates via Hanna LU phos. run between .02-.03. I have noticed adverse effects to fish and corals.
I believe you meant No adverse effect. That being said, make sure you change your socks regularly (I know you said you were using the roller, but just mentioning it ) and clean your skimmer and pumps/powerheads more periodically. There will be some white gooey stuff on them. The gooey stuff may reduce the efficiency of pumps. That being said, I was able to take away my LaCL offline. Started vodka dosing along with marcobacter 7.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my problem. Every time I dose phosphate rx, it drops from .29 to .17 when I dosed the recommended dose of 50%. But then, a week or two later it will go up to .29. I do use about 15% of GFO but that didn’t help. I don’t want to increase the gfo as it did strip my sps. I had to turn off my skimmer as my nitrate is almost undetectable.

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my problem. Every time I dose phosphate rx, it drops from .29 to .17 when I dosed the recommended dose of 50%. But then, a week or two later it will go up to .29. I do use about 15% of GFO but that didn’t help. I don’t want to increase the gfo as it did strip my sps. I had to turn off my skimmer as my nitrate is almost undetectable.
I believe there is something in your tank that is leaching phosphates. So in order for you to keep your phosphates at a steady number, you would need to have a dosing regiment of a sort. Phosphate RX could become expensive. LaCl would be cheaper IMHO. That being said, the key is trying to find the source of the phosphates. I have eliminated pellets, feeding only frozen. did some massive water changes.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is something in your tank that is leaching phosphates. So in order for you to keep your phosphates at a steady number, you would need to have a dosing regiment of a sort. Phosphate RX could become expensive. LaCl would be cheaper IMHO. That being said, the key is trying to find the source of the phosphates. I have eliminated pellets, feeding only frozen. did some massive water changes.
I am pretty sure it’s the bunch of dry rocks I put in about 6 months ago. If I don’t pull them out what’s my option? Keep dosing phosphate rx? If I keep dosing it, does it hurt my tank?

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try using any bacterial products? LaCl is a quick fix. Till the rock and your reef matures it will be a game trying to catch up. On my 200 gallon tank, I would dose daily a total of about 10 ml at different times of the day. And I did not see any effects on my coral and fish. after a month or so, I had to reduce Lacl dosing as my phosphates were lowering. So now eventually I had to take it offline. But also started vodka dosing and KZ products. that worked for me and hoping it will continue to work.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you try using any bacterial products? LaCl is a quick fix. Till the rock and your reef matures it will be a game trying to catch up. On my 200 gallon tank, I would dose daily a total of about 10 ml at different times of the day. And I did not see any effects on my coral and fish. after a month or so, I had to reduce Lacl dosing as my phosphates were lowering. So now eventually I had to take it offline. But also started vodka dosing and KZ products. that worked for me and hoping it will continue to work.
Does dosing vodka will also lower my nitrate as well? My nitrate is almost undetectable

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah dosing Vodka will definitely bring your Nitrates down. But will not happen right away. How big is your tank?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah dosing Vodka will definitely bring your Nitrates down. But will not happen right away. How big is your tank?
120. Then if I start carbon dosing aiming to lower phosphate while nitrate is almost undetectable. Is that mean I need to either feed way more or dose nitrate? Skimmer still off while carbon dosing?

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want your skimmer on when carbon dosing. Like I said your nitrates won't go down right away with carbon dosing. if you plan to do, go very slow. observe your coral.

That being said, have you looked at dosing Potassium Nitrate? to raise nitrates. Don't jump to dose anything. Do your research, understand your tank/husbandry, and then decide. Maybe reduce dosing any LacL and increase GFO a bit more? GFO best works in a reactor. I agree you do need to be careful when using GFO. I know this is frustrating.

Maybe look for better experts in this subject.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want your skimmer on when carbon dosing. Like I said your nitrates won't go down right away with carbon dosing. if you plan to do, go very slow. observe your coral.

That being said, have you looked at dosing Potassium Nitrate? to raise nitrates. Don't jump to dose anything. Do your research, understand your tank/husbandry, and then decide. Maybe reduce dosing any LacL and increase GFO a bit more? GFO best works in a reactor. I agree you do need to be careful when using GFO. I know this is frustrating.

Maybe look for better experts in this subject.
I got a reactor and I am running 100% carbon and 15% High capacity gfo. Replace monthly.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back