Daily feeding —> Better/Quicker Growth?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your findings on feeding your coral? If feeding more often result in quicker growth? Also what do you feed?

-Zack, #reefsquad

Last edited:

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont feed my corals. I've tried on occasion giving my frogspawn some food but it just sits there until a fish sees it or a powerhead kicks back on. But my corals look good and grow. Its a nano tank so turbo charged growth isn't exactly what I want.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral are supposed to GROW? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Imagine that!!! :p

I only very rarely direct feed my corals. I let my expensive light do most of the work lol!

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my LPS 2-3 times a week. My lords and bowerbanki grow quickly from the frequent feedings and it helps keep their tentacles out during the day, so I don't have to trigger a feeding response first. I notice an increase in growth and coloration on my lobo and trachys when feeding this frequently and a variety of food. I'm seeing some nice yellow banding on one of my trachys and pinks coming out on one of my lobos. I feed mysis, Coral Frenzy pellets, NLS pellets and bits of LRS.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking more towards Softies, LPS, and Anemones. I know SPS can be hit or miss of this as Reefbuilders have proven in a sample size. The faster they grow, the better right?

-Zack, who doesn’t like Xenia....*Shivers*

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's a loaded question, Zack. (No pun intended) lol

Most certainly some corals need and do well with "spot" feeding, such as non- photosynthetic gorgonian's. Etc.....

Lps can be hit or miss, but some do need some "meaty" foods such as bubble corals and acan's. Etc....

Euphyllia corals in general can be happy and healthy with just nutrients in the water collum and no additional feeding. Etc....

SPS can do the same with just nutrients in the water collum.

Me, I feed my fish just once a day with LRS reef frenzy, about the size of a small cube and broad cast. If my corals capture some micro particles of it, that's fine, but they get all they need from my light spectrum and nutrients in the water collum. That's all and have done it this way for years with great success.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's a loaded question, Zack. (No pun intended) lol

Most certainly some corals need and do well with "spot" feeding, such as non- photosynthetic gorgonian's. Etc.....

Lps can be hit or miss, but some do need some "meaty" foods such as bubble corals and acan's. Etc....

Euphyllia corals in general can be happy and healthy with just nutrients in the water collum and no additional feeding. Etc....

SPS can do the same with just nutrients in the water collum.

Me, I feed my fish just once a day with LRS reef frenzy, about the size of a small cube and broad cast. If my corals capture some micro particles of it, that's fine, but they get all they need from my light spectrum and nutrients in the water collum. That's all and have done it this way for years with great success.

This is what I have been doing and seen some okay growth. Just a thought I had while gazing into my tank. See what other people had and didn’t have results with.

-Zack, who feeds heavy, and has the nutrients to match.

Last edited:

Joshua Warne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently implement a strict 2 day per week feeding regiment. I alternate spot feeding reef roids and LPS pellets. I always initiate my feedings 2 minutes prior with a few drops of Polyp Booster to trigger that feeding response. I also turn off my return pump and wave makers for 15 minutes while my corals eat. I’ve noticed some insane growth so far. I’m talking 30% faster growth. I would highly recommend spot feeding your corals, but be careful of polluting your tank. Start slowly and work your way up, change your filter socks, test weekly and Stay on top of your water changes. Hope this helps!

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed when I remember. And even then I don't target feed my coral. I broadcast feed and I hope that they all get it.

Back