Daily water changes of 50% kalkwasser 50% brine

NeveroddoreveN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose limewater and have been thinking about doing daily automated water changes. Then it occurred to me that my desired daily water changes would be about 2x what I'm dosing with kalk.

Could I make a double concentrated brine solution of about 70ppt and dose it in equal amounts with the kalk?

So for example, each day I would be replacing maybe 2 liters of tank water with 1 liter of kalk + 1 liter of 70ppt brine.

That way, i could continue using kalk even after it's more demand than the a amount of evaporation.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double the salinity of make up water? That would precipitate calcium and your alk greatly (in the 70ppt solution)

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed^^ You want your AWC source water to be the same or only slightly higher levels as you keep your tank. Doubling the level would build up in your tank pretty fast. I'd dose Kalk based on need, not matched with AWC.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theoretically, the salinity would be stable (as I understand it, the OP is just asking to put less water in the same amount of salt, and use that available water to dose more kalkwasser), but the problem is precipitation of calcium carbonate and maybe other things in hypersaline artificial salt water.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back