Daltrey's Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL Build

CWR24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed my fans in the back. I have them setup to draw in fresh air in the back to cool the lights and bulbs. Cutout three spots to mount the radions on top. I did it this way so I can easily take the xr30ws off once or twice a year and clean out the fans. It will be easy to lift each one and clean off the lenses too. And they will help pull out the hot air from inside the canopy.

Plan on setting up a power strip on top of the canopy and mounting all power bricks and concealing them with trim. That way they won't overheat in the cabinet and I will only need to run one wire to the canopy.

Will get it all mounted back up tomorrow. 5am comes around early. I'm out.

20180311_215343.jpg

Heck with it.......just call in and take care of your PRIORITIES FIRST!! :)

Setup coming along nicely.

Question.......wanting to replace that float valve on my Reefer 350.......can I ask where you grabbed your replacement from?

ProxiSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I signed up just to ask you this question: How in the world are you using a RSM 750 XXL with Triton Method? The tank turn over is like... what maybe 2x per hour? And the fuge’ is around 5% volume. That’s SO far off their Triton spec, I don’t see how this tank can do it. Would LOVE to be wrong though. Because I want this tank AND Triton! Insight?

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I signed up just to ask you this question: How in the world are you using a RSM 750 XXL with Triton Method? The tank turn over is like... what maybe 2x per hour? And the fuge’ is around 5% volume. That’s SO far off their Triton spec, I don’t see how this tank can do it. Would LOVE to be wrong though. Because I want this tank AND Triton! Insight?

I’m running a vectra M1 at 100% and also replaced all plumbing with 1”. Not exactly sure what my turnover is but it’s wide open. :) I would say the cheato part of the fuge is close to 20 gallons.

The cheato in my tank now is the size of two softballs. I plan on keeping it the size of a volleyball. I do not plan on running socks because the cheato is my filter. It is growing well now. I just ordered this light recommended by @joeyhatch11 because mine is too wide and is causing algea in my skimmer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12W-E26-E27-PAR38-12-LED-Red-Blue-Hydroponic-Flower-Plant-Grow-Light-Bulb-Lamp/172228430053?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Here is a video of him explaining it.

ACF63D91-4E78-4FEA-AF7E-6D0B3BDC8C71.jpeg

Last edited:

ProxiSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a vectra M1 at 100% and also replaced all plumbing with 1”. Not exactly sure what my turnover is but it’s wide open. :) I would say the cheato part of the fuge is close to 20 gallons.

The cheato in my tank now is the size of two softballs. I plan on keeping it the size of a volleyball. I do not plan on running socks because the cheato is my filter. It is growing well now. I just ordered this light recommended by @joeyhatch11 because mine is too wide and is causing algea in my skimmer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12W-E26-E27-PAR38-12-LED-Red-Blue-Hydroponic-Flower-Plant-Grow-Light-Bulb-Lamp/172228430053?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Here is a video of him explaining it.

ACF63D91-4E78-4FEA-AF7E-6D0B3BDC8C71.jpeg

What a helpful response! I’ll watch that. You make me hopeful. I plan to buy the tank in May. I’ll be following your progress closely! Thanks again :) Tanks is awesome so far

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sick cheato video! Idk how happy I am with this skimz algae reactor might have to go with something different! How has urs been growing?

I seem to be growing more algae than cheato in the sump, ha. It is growing some though and I just switched from core 7 other to regular core 7 that has the nutrients the cheato needs. As soon as the new grow light comes in I plan on completely cleaning out the sump and hopefully the cheato will start to take off. I’m going to vinyl wrap the sump in white also.

Just picked up a ProfiLux 4 from a fellow r2r member so that will be going online soon also.

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after observing the tangs for two weeks in qt I decided to go ahead and relocate them to the display tank. They have been eating heavily and putting on weight. I have to say it was a great idea to qt them together. They have been swimming together all day in the display tank and show no aggression. They share the seaweed clip and haven’t been aggressive with any of the other fish. I would strongly suggest a 3 foot minimum tank for qt with tangs as they swam back and forth it all day. Now that they are in a 6 foot tank they are really able to enjoy themselves.

So far the flame angel which has been the dominant fish has even chilled out since he realized they wouldn’t back down from him. I will post some video tomorrow once the lights are back on.

Also loving the Radions with reeflink. I wasn’t to impressed with reeflink at first but after getting familiar with apex and now GHL I realize how simple the reeflink is to program. It’s nice having the lights, power heads and return pump all being controlled by the reeflink.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the cheato was a fail. I just finished draining out the sump, scrubbing down all the equipment and adding fresh saltwater.

The algea was starting to take over the sump and the cheato was making a mess with strands of it everywhere. So now that I have a nice clean sump I am going to have to rethink this.

Went ahead and did tank maintenance. Cleaned the powerheads, the glass and wiped down everything.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nice man, coming along nice. you will like the frags you get form cultivated reef . ive done about 20 orders and never a let down. im ordering my reefer in the next couple weeks, i have all the equipment on standby :p im going with a pellet reactor and no sand however .

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice man, coming along nice. you will like the frags you get form cultivated reef . ive done about 20 orders and never a let down. im ordering my reefer in the next couple weeks, i have all the equipment on standby :p im going with a pellet reactor and no sand however .

Awesome, what size reefer are you getting?

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
same 750. also i think im going to try the diffusers on the radions and just pump the lights to about 90%. In my old tank which was an 80 gallon shallow i ran them at 70% and everything had plenty of light on ab program . so i figure with the height and the loss from the diffusers 90% should work just fine . are you using the rms for the radions? if so is the middle one in the overflow area?

OP
OP
Daltrey

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a floating canopy and use 3 Radion gen 4’s and 4 60” t5’s. There is a cutout in the middle overflow cover that snaps out so you can mount the rms.

I would probably use the diffusers with the rms mounts. I’ve owned the gen 3 and gen 4 xr30w’s and the gen 4 are considerably brighter with their convex lenses.

5113B0A3-5AF1-49DD-8E38-B605CC139523.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back