Damaged silicone safe to use?

Cricket27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am looking to start my first reef tank soon. I have a whole shopping list waiting for me to start buying it :D. I just ordered bulkheads and a diamond drill bit so I can attempt to turn this fantasy into reality. Anyway, I got this 60g Marineland Heartland aquarium and stand for free and was hoping to use it.
It holds water fine as far as I know. It was being used before I got it due to the previous owner moving. I'm not sure how long it was in use, but everything looks basically new besides these chips in the silicone. What are your thoughts about the condition? It's dimensions are 48.5x12.75x25". The width is not ideal but it's the biggest tank I've ever had and it looks good to me.

I'm also thinking about building a new stand for this tank because the current one can't hold a sump. I bought a 40g for a sump, but I don't think I'm going to use it. Even if I built a stand to hold it, it doednt seem like it would look very good having a 12" wide aquarium on a 19"+ stand. I think I might try going with a 20L or possibly a 29 tall if there's any benefit to the height.

Thanks in advanced,
-Cricket

IMG_20200309_234402.jpg

IMG_20200309_234413.jpg

IMG_20200309_234431.jpg
IMG_20200408_060015.jpg

Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Be sure to say hello in the meet and greet section :)

Personally I would be worried about the damage to the silicon, that’s a lot of water to spill on your floor. another thing you might consider is at 25” it may be difficult for you to reach the bottom of that tank for maintenance or coral placement.

OP
OP
Cricket27

Cricket27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! Be sure to say hello in the meet and greet section :)

Personally I would be worried about the damage to the silicon, that’s a lot of water to spill on your floor. another thing you might consider is at 25” it may be difficult for you to reach the bottom of that tank for maintenance or coral placement.

Thank you.

Hmm. I wasn't very worried about it but your doubt does give me more reason to get something bigger... I'd just prefer not having to spend a few hundred more.
I can reach the bottom no problem if I have a little stool. The only other options seem like 75 or 90g. Both are 48x18xH. I'd prefer the 90 for the height but I am not seeing much to gauge price with online. There's a 75g ensemble for $300, supposedly the aquarium alone can be had for around $90 on sale (Petco?). I haven't found any 90g but I think theres a decent price jump.

Back