Damselfish: Are they starter fish, filler fish, or fish to avoid?

What is your perspective on damselfish?

• Starter fish

Votes: 55 13.0%
  • Filler fish

Votes: 90 21.2%
  • Fish to avoid

Votes: 195 46.0%
  • Other

Votes: 84 19.8%

• Total voters

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went other.
Damsels are hated for many reasons… but all those reasons are found in other fish like our beloved Tangs. We ‘hate’ these fish just because… They’re protecting their own territory and being aggressive when simply put, it’s just in their natural instinct. The smaller the territory they have, the more likely they are to fight for it.

And almost every tank has Atleast one damsel in it, what family do these subfamilies belong to; Amphiprioninae and Chrominae go under? Oh yeah, Pomacentridae. So when we say we hate damsels, are we forgetting that many of us own them still?

So, do I think damsels deserve the hate they get? Not at all. I’ve owned a Neon Velvet Damsel (Neoglyphidodon oxyodon) and yes I’ve seen the damage they can cause but it’s natural instinct, the larger the fish the larger the territory they will need to protect.

I do find that damsels are good filler fish as many Chrysiptera species are peaceful and happily group (My personal favourites are Chrysiptera rollandi) and whilst the larger species do end up losing colour as maturity hits, the chrysiptera keep their bright colours for the most part.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like them as filler fish in large tanks. But like all fish (and humans), the attitude can be quite different for each. I've had some azure damsels that had to go, and some that have peacefully been in the tank for years.
One of my favorites are blue devils - but they got that name for a good reason and just about all are just too aggressive.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted filler fish. I keep 2 in my 180g both blue, a yellow tail and a yellow belly. Not sure of the species name. They each have their own part of the tank and don't bother each other or any other fish. The blue is prettier than any other blue fish I have . I like having some small fish in with the larger fish but my large fish are tangs that don't bother the little guys. Domino on the other hand I will never own again. I had one that was a terror and required all rock be removed to capture it.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went with "other". Just got myself a Starcki as the showpiece fish for my tank, though it's going to be staying in a holding tank (cycled, with plenty of hiding places) until everything else has settled in. Gorgeous little fish that should grow into a nice showpiece, like a reef-safe dwarf angelfish.

It really depends on the fish. Springeri, azure, and yellowtail blue damsels are good to add a pop of color and personality once the rest of the tank is established, Starcki (IMO) makes a nice feature fish for tanks a bit too small or too LPS-heavy for angels, and bigger, more aggressive damsels like dominoes are best avoided. Except maybe as the only fish in a tank with something like a big crab.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rather like damsels. I love the pop of royal blue color some damsels sport and have found not all species to be ornery. I like yellow tails, and azures. I like the activity they bring in a tank and that I can have more than one. I don't have any ATM because I have an ornery Coral Beauty angel who does not seem to like damsels.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the damsel and each has a character of their own. Had Devils, yellowtails and dominos in the 80s and 90s. Never an issue with each other or other fish. Have a small test tank going with a pair of yellowtail and dominos. One domino an A Hole and the other just pushes fish around. Although they've all come to grips with stuck in a box and now all get along. Can't argue with the fact they are indestructible and clowns in the same family where character also matters of individual fish.

Last edited:

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my damsels and have never had a problem with any of them. I have only owned yellow tails and figi. Figi's have a bad rap but mine is very peaceful and nice looking! Blue with yellow tail and fins . I added him after having 3 fish already. I have a clown, 6 line wrasse and a Sunburst Anthia. Other tank has the yellow tail with tailspot blenny and a royal gramma. Everyone of them do well together with no issues!

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience the ones to avoid because of aggression are any that have black markings such as domino and striped. I have 15 damsels that really don't cause a problem. Most of the ones with yellow on them such as yellowtails get along fine with other fish. They will occasionally "ya-ya" with each other but don't cause a problem.

Bradig326

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did say other. It depends on the situation you are introducing them to and what species. I've been fortunate with Talbot's damsels. I have 4 in a 75 gallon community. Once in a while they will harass each other but tend to go their own way. They haven't bothered any other fish.

mruggee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 2 tuxedo damsels, I was told the were not that aggressive. That was a lie , they were good at first when I introduced lyretail anthias but then were bullies to gobies and my clowns. All the other fist are big enough to push them around

So now this is my life now. my clowns have to live in a quarantine until they get bigger

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted “other” because I believe that, when selected with some degree of forethought and knowledge, they can be an asset to your reef or fowlr community. Like angels, triggers, and tangs not every member of the species will fit in.

I love dominos and humbugs but know enough that I can keep my urges under control. Currently I’ve got 4 Springeri and 3 Talbots damsels. They’re interesting for sure, adding motion to virtually every part of my reef, while being perfect tankmates for my tangs, clowns and others.

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back around 1990 when I started my first reef tank the mentality was buy a bunch of cheap damsels and let them cycle the tank. Of course, it was always the worst/meanest fish that survived like a domino damsel you couldn't catch and get rid of. That first tank was a 55g with an under gravel and a useless sanders wood airstone skimmer. Needless to say, we killed some fish and even basic corals in those days. For years after that I avoided damsels altogether. Now though, and many tanks later, I have a pair of blue sapphires (springeri) which are probably the most peaceful fish in the tank. Don't pay too much attention but there others as well like rollands.
I’ve never even thought about the skimmer I had on my first 150 gal reef. It used Sanders airstones and never… like ever… worked. Thanks for the memory.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damselfish: Are they starter fish, filler fish, or fish to avoid?

Starter fish, filler fish, or fish to avoid? There are a wide range of opinions on these fish. Damsel fish, which include clownfish, have traditionally been used as a beginner fish because some varieties are hardy and inexpensive. However, some fish keepers have found that damsels may come with some negative behaviors and aren’t always the most beloved fish over the long term. It may be interesting to note that clownfish and chromis are damsels too. In a world of tangs, angelfish, and other majestic saltwater fish, damsels are often overlooked, but let’s talk about about them today. Please share your experiences, tips, and thoughts about damsels in the discussion thread.

ssunthar_BluefinDamselfish.jpeg

Juvenile bluefin damselfish (Neoglyphidodon melas); Photo from Wikipedia
A clown is a damsel. It depends on the species

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I marked other, my blue sapphire fish was the first in the tank after I cycled. I love this fish! It is so mellow and calm with everyone else. Plus it is a rather pretty shade of blue and stays small. So my other is because this is a fish I would actively recommend to all nano reefs, not just to fill the tank or cycle with.

Wamland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my yellowtail. Added him in when I added a 6 line and my clowns so they all scoped out sections of the tank and put down flags Now the only one the damsel even looks at is the watchman goby and he screams and they return to their neutral corners.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back