Damselfish: Are they starter fish, filler fish, or fish to avoid?

What is your perspective on damselfish?

• Starter fish

Votes: 55 13.0%
  • Filler fish

Votes: 90 21.2%
  • Fish to avoid

Votes: 195 46.0%
  • Other

Votes: 84 19.8%

• Total voters

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Rolland's to a 120g with lots of rock. From sun up to sun down it felt its main purpose in life was to harass others. It took three months to out smart it and get it out of the tank.

blackhole88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damselfish: Are they starter fish, filler fish, or fish to avoid?

Starter fish, filler fish, or fish to avoid? There are a wide range of opinions on these fish. Damsel fish, which include clownfish, have traditionally been used as a beginner fish because some varieties are hardy and inexpensive. However, some fish keepers have found that damsels may come with some negative behaviors and aren’t always the most beloved fish over the long term. It may be interesting to note that clownfish and chromis are damsels too. In a world of tangs, angelfish, and other majestic saltwater fish, damsels are often overlooked, but let’s talk about about them today. Please share your experiences, tips, and thoughts about damsels in the discussion thread.

ssunthar_BluefinDamselfish.jpeg

Juvenile bluefin damselfish (Neoglyphidodon melas); Photo from Wikipedia
They are a nightmare very aggressive and near impossible to catch. Actually bought a radiata lion to eat them haha. Never again!!! It was my first tank and was told they were ideal for cycling. Since then I’ve cycled with yellow tangs about any Angel n dozens others. If cheap is the idea go with black mollies .99 each slowly drip acclimate them and there you go

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of the damselfish's reputation comes from keeping them in inappropriate conditions? Most of the photos of damselfish on the internet in the wild show them in large schools yet it is common for people to try small groups of 3 or so. There are many freshwater fish that need to be maintained in large groups to diffuse aggression. I wonder if this is true for Damsels as well. Maybe if the highlander syndrome would go away if we kept them in groups of 10+ or even 20+. I think such a large school would make for a unique and imposing display too.

carbasaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the vivid blue and yellow in azure damsels. I have 7 in my 200 gallon and have had them for over 5 years without a single loss. I would not say they are entirely peaceful as they have divided the tank into 7 equal territories, but any squabble is brief and they add lots of color and activity to the reef

Attachments

• 35EF4829-AE86-4A4A-81E1-4BF50D7AE669.jpeg
    35EF4829-AE86-4A4A-81E1-4BF50D7AE669.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 28
  • C93A58FF-32AC-4DA0-AE01-C3A6ABFF748C.jpeg
    C93A58FF-32AC-4DA0-AE01-C3A6ABFF748C.jpeg
    277.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 2CDF5EA6-19B5-45F9-916E-5558240723BD.jpeg
    2CDF5EA6-19B5-45F9-916E-5558240723BD.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 34

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think damsels are great fish to have especially on a budget. Not all of them are suitable for a reef or with other fish due to aggressive tendencies. There are some less aggressive damsels out there though.

Yellow tailed blue damsels come to mind, of which I have two in my 90 gallon cube. I’ve seen yellow damsels in with them among others. Clownfish are damsels too for all intents and purposes let’s not forget.

I have two clownfish and the two yellow tailed blue damsels. I also have a yellow coris wrasse. As long as I add fish with similar temperaments all should work out nicely. If I want to add more damsels it can be done by making sure there are enough hiding places for all of them. In my case I need to add more rock which will happen soon.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of the damselfish's reputation comes from keeping them in inappropriate conditions? Most of the photos of damselfish on the internet in the wild show them in large schools yet it is common for people to try small groups of 3 or so. There are many freshwater fish that need to be maintained in large groups to diffuse aggression. I wonder if this is true for Damsels as well. Maybe if the highlander syndrome would go away if we kept them in groups of 10+ or even 20+. I think such a large school would make for a unique and imposing display too.
This! They are closely related to cichlids which as many here know their aggression gets diffused when there are enough of them. It’s something I wouldn’t mind trying except for that there are other fish on my wish list. If I were to only get damsels from here on out I might have a chance of having that work out.

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 chromis, 2 blue's, 2 azures and 1 lemon. The bigger lemon killed the smaller one. Have really had no issues except what I mentioned above. The lemon is aggressive but there are enough of the other Damsels to keep that spread out. Find them fun to watch and very hardy. The 2 chromis chase each other around at super high speed and very fun to watch. I love the way they dart in and out of the rocks and were some of the first fish I added to my tank which is 6 months old now. So mine have been with me about 4 mos. now and are super healthy and do well in my community. I have a powder blue tang, a hippo tang, two clowns, a watchman goby and a small red and yellow dragon.
It’s possible the two lemons were male so that could be why they fought to the death.

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a pink smith damselfish the other day. Such an active and beautiful fish. Was swimming everywhere in the tank and eating under an hour after being introduced to the tank. I understand they can be territorial but i've read people can have success with them. I will see how she behaves when I introduce other fish. She was only $20 and in this day and age you can't beat that in this hobby.

Last edited:

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first fish was a damsel. I like them. I think I will always have one in my system as long as I will stay in the hobby.
I have another one now, but they never caused any problems in my tank.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsel can be great fish. They have a variety of colors, are relatively easy to keep, are very active and eat everything. Most do not get big and they can fit in small aquarium.
Their drawback is their aggressiveness. However if place with the right mates they can be great.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 years ago, i put 6 damsels into my 400 display tank as my first fish, boy that was a big mistake, had to drain water down from tank to catch them.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're fish. Not fillers, or starters, or inherently bad like some suggest. Some species (mainly of the genus Chrysiptera) are great fish for any tank. Other bigger and meaner species are good fits for tanks where you only want one fish or when they'll be kept with big and aggressive fish. I voted "other".

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the damsel. If its a domino or 3 stripe, its a no go.

If its a Green chromis, Springer's damsel, Talbot's damsel, Rolland's damsel, azure damsel, etc., It could work.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • None.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back