Damselfish: Are they starter fish, filler fish, or fish to avoid?

What is your perspective on damselfish?

• Starter fish

Votes: 55 13.0%
  • Filler fish

Votes: 90 21.2%
  • Fish to avoid

Votes: 195 46.0%
  • Other

Votes: 84 19.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Damselfish: Are they starter fish, filler fish, or fish to avoid?

Starter fish, filler fish, or fish to avoid? There are a wide range of opinions on these fish. Damsel fish, which include clownfish, have traditionally been used as a beginner fish because some varieties are hardy and inexpensive. However, some fish keepers have found that damsels may come with some negative behaviors and aren’t always the most beloved fish over the long term. It may be interesting to note that clownfish and chromis are damsels too. In a world of tangs, angelfish, and other majestic saltwater fish, damsels are often overlooked, but let’s talk about about them today. Please share your experiences, tips, and thoughts about damsels in the discussion thread.

ssunthar_BluefinDamselfish.jpeg

Juvenile bluefin damselfish (Neoglyphidodon melas); Photo from Wikipedia

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put filler fish as I was looking for the last fish for my tank and wanted a splash of blue. I went for a yellow tailed damsel. I know they are known to be a less aggressive damsel and mine is very passive, perhaps because I added it last.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I first got into saltwater damsels we’re considered the cycle fish. Super hardy and easy to keep. However they become very territorial and can cause all sorts of issues with later additions. I had a couple of domino damsels that were the cutest things until they grew up to be “JAWS” incarnate. I e had some blues that I never remember problems with, but now I wouldn’t consider one in any tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Historically, they have been my hobby nightmare.
Some the worst has been domino, blue devil, sergeant major and blue velvet

I often say, you love them to hate them and trying to catch them for removal is a bigger nightmare

I sold them at my LFS for $1.99 then became 4 for $10 , then $2.99 and to see $12 and up is crazy

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Avoid.
Aren't very useful or particularly pretty but have a reputation for violence. Other then being cheap and tough I've never seen the appeal.
I think one of the attractions is they are cheap and hardy. You have to admit the domino juvenile is quite cute, but not only do they get big and aggressive they lose the spots making them look like an ugly black perch.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the devil, years ago I got lucky with the damsels I had, but they can be sooooo territorial and can cause huge damage on much larger fish.
Roll the dice or avoid altogether.
I passed on them this go around, but they are beautiful!!!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the attractions is they are cheap and hardy. You have to admit the domino juvenile is quite cute, but not only do they get big and aggressive they lose the spots making them look like an ugly black perch.
Yep
I think that’s the issue. They seem like a great starter and in some ways they are. But then become a pain when they get in the way of adding the fish you really want.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love springeri damsels. I haven't tried anything else and am not especially inclined to do so. My pair of clowns in my 40 AIO are big enough problem right now.

I have a reefing buddy who swears by damsels. He goes out and buys a dozen random damsels at a time and when they whittle themselves down in numbers he goes and gets some more. Not really my style but to each their own I guess.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted filler fish, but with stipulations. They provide little splashes of color & movement among the corals and bigger fish. I do think they are fillers only for tanks that are big enough. I have a couple of Sapphire (Springer) Damsels in my 90. They provide a little color and also supposedly eat Red Bugs. They don't bother any other fish but tussle with each other from time to time.

I do think there are a lot of Damsels that are problematic. They are just too aggressive, get too big, turn ugly as adults, pick each other off until only one or two remain, and/or are known to carry disease. Blue Damsels, Yellow Tail Blue Damsels, Blue Devil Damsels, Striped Damsels, Tuxedo Damsels, and all their cousins, the Chromis, are on my bad list.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a black lyretail damsel that my wife just HAD to have, and thankfully he has been a model citizen. Unless you go near his cave, then its a different story. But other than that not bad, but never would buy a damsel if it was my choice.

As far as adding color or movement to the tank. Ummm no, the thing doesnt really leave his cave until its food time, and then goes right back to moving my sand out of the cave.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just do your homework as with any fish to sort out the aggressive ones for those with a calmer nature. Also as above some change colour and become compldrab and large.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said other. . . I am working on a damsel only tank. . . will report back when I have failed or succeeded . . .
I hv done that before. You'll left with only single stronger demselfish:). When I did that, I seen that many of them got Popeye and left with one eye or left without tail:rolleyes:

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back around 1990 when I started my first reef tank the mentality was buy a bunch of cheap damsels and let them cycle the tank. Of course, it was always the worst/meanest fish that survived like a domino damsel you couldn't catch and get rid of. That first tank was a 55g with an under gravel and a useless sanders wood airstone skimmer. Needless to say, we killed some fish and even basic corals in those days. For years after that I avoided damsels altogether. Now though, and many tanks later, I have a pair of blue sapphires (springeri) which are probably the most peaceful fish in the tank. Don't pay too much attention but there others as well like rollands.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted other as it can be anything .
When I started with saltwater around 12 or 13 years ago, I was given a tank with 2 damsel in it. One was yellow, the other was a 4 striped damsel. The tank was 50 G and they each claimed a different corner. No problem at all. It was a good start for me as I did not know anything. About a year later, I added 2 clowns and still not problem. At one point the yellow damsel disappeared. The problem started when I added different fish. My four stripped started going after a coral beauty who died from stress shortly after being introduced, and after I switched to a 125 G, it killed one of the green chromis I added. I took the habit of blocking the damsel off when I added a fish, and let it loose after a few weeks. that did the trick.
This damsel is still with me, so they are long lived fish. I no longer have any problem with her and she lives in harmony with the green chromis, the clowns, and all the other fish. It was a good learning fish. It is a pretty fish for small tank, no need to be avoided, but one need to be careful when selecting and introducing new mate.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back