Damselfish: Are they starter fish, filler fish, or fish to avoid?

What is your perspective on damselfish?

• Starter fish

Votes: 55 13.0%
  • Filler fish

Votes: 90 21.2%
  • Fish to avoid

Votes: 195 46.0%
  • Other

Votes: 84 19.8%

• Total voters

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 Azure Damsels. They don't bother any other fish, look good, and have been know to eat pests off of corals.

All other damsel experiences have not been good for other fish being introduced
I added 6 azure about two months ago. Totally fine so far. I have some big mean well-established triggers along with angels and tangs that might keep them in constant retreat mode. They spend all of their time darting in and out of the rocks. I like them so far. Nice movement in the tank.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any problem with my captive-bred lyretail pair or lone yellow damsel. The Yellow damsel actually shares a 13.5 Evo with a pair of springeri dottybacks, but I've never seen any aggression between them.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my damsels! I keep them in most tanks for a variety of reasons including excellent color, interesting behavior, interesting breeding techniques, etc.

I have the following scattered through my various tanks:
3 Chrysiptera hemicyanea
2 Chrysiptera cyanea
1 Chrysiptera rollandi
1 Pomacentrus smithi
1 Pomacentrus pavo
5 Neopomacentrus cyanomos
2 Neopomacentrus azysron
4 Chromis viridis
3 Acanthochromis polyacanthus

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have five of these since 2018/19.
two have bonded. the other three just hang out.
they don't bother each other or any of the other tank inhabitants.
lyretail damsel.jpg
What specie is that? It's beautiful!

Tiny Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote other. Newbie but my final 2 fish added to my 40B full of nano fish were a young green chromis and then adult(?) springeri damsel. They are both very beautiful, active, barely territorial, inquisitive, and Timmy Chromis is cute as heck and bonded with his best pal, a striped blenny. I hope they never change. Maybe when they're added makes a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20230113_132651962.jpg
    IMG_20230113_132651962.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 36

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose ‘other’ because it depends on the type of tank you want to keep. If you want aggressive fish then many types of damsels will fit right in. If you want all corals with a couple damsels, that works. But if you prefer other fish like that are passive, then damsels should be avoided.
I definitely don’t consider them as filler fish that can be added at random. All additions to a tank should be calculated.

Last edited:

Dmudd782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say avoid, my first reef tank was a 36 gallon bow front and I was talked into "cycling the tank" with a yellow tail damsel, though very pretty fish he was the devil. terrorized every fish that came within his territory. literally watched him chase a midas blenny out of the tank! and good luck catching one without completely disassembling your tank. but all this comes with exceptions "clown fish" for example they can be bossy but for the most part never really cause any real harm and what's a reef tank without a pair of clowns.

F22dad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very much depends on what species as there are a number of damsels which buck the stereotype. I have 7 springer damsels that bother none of my other fish at all.
lg_80388_Blue_Sapphire_Damselfish.jpg
Do the springers get along with each other? Are they in a large system?

F22dad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very much depends on what species as there are a number of damsels which buck the stereotype. I have 7 springer damsels that bother none of my other fish at all.
Do the springers get along with each other? Are they in a large system?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some should absolutely be avoided, but most in the chrysiptera genus are wonderful additions. I’ve just shut down my big tank, but had over 50 damsels.

StoneNeo82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other. Yellow tails are one of my favorite fish. But if you add any damsel first I think you asking for trouble. When I started the hobby many years ago I started with a 120. Being a cheaper option I had different types of damsels in this tank. They were cute at first but became terrorizing as they grew. Some would even fight with the trigger I had in the tank. I pass on damsels now that I have a smaller tank. But maybe the order you place them in tank would have a better outcome.

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have damsel fish. They are no different from African Cichlids. They never bother my clams or corals. Furthermore, they add a lot of color and movement to the tank. I have had few issues with mine. I make sure I have a lot of hiding spots, just like one would do with African Cichlids. I think the damsel gets a reputation it does not deserve.The Six Line Wrasse also some say is a fish to avoid. I have had one in the 125 gallon tank for years, the most mellow guy. Maybe those with the new minimalist rock work have issues, not enough hiding spots to feel comfort. If you do a tank right, damsels can be long living fish in your reef. Adding to this, the only damsel I will never buy again is those Domino Damsels. They are the most aggressive for me, they grow up not looking as cute as they use too.

Last edited:

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 5 about a year ago and now down to one. Just disappeared. They do keep bristle worms down.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put “avoid”. I would have put other if you asked this question about 6 months ago. The main reason is I had 2 yellowtail that developed a taste for Acros . Nothing else, they just seemed to consider them delicious. Now that they’re out, I’m going to try Acros again.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Say what you want but I have a very happy and healthy blue devil damsel living with my clowns in a 20 gallon and she doesn’t bother anyone. Now when I had my goby she bullied him but didn’t mind my blenny!

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that many, but at least 1 springer in every tank. These guys are highly adaptable. If you have branching SPS they will make one their home and protect it even from larger fish. Without a home, they may be bullied by other fish.

Edit: Checked "other". Springer's will eat some pests like flatworms. I vote for "utility". Not as voracious as a six-line, but 1/10 of a bully.

Last edited:

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kapuang's and green chromis..all otheres are a big ???

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back