Dan’s Red Sea XXL 750 Build

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can only get max 800 with 1” plumbing. I have 4 MP40QD at 75/100% on different cycles, not a math wiz but have something like 16,500-ish. Most people run M1 pumps, and sure that’s plenty :)

I do hear some people say they have insane numbers 20k+ in there reefs but idk.

Is the return portion in the overflow box 1” as well?

sheldonjjessup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s all PVC the light is just so intense it glows threw the sch 40 pipe!

9703E4D5-12A8-490C-971D-921D903EF02D.jpeg
That's pretty cool! I like the effect!

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea does there own custom fittings in MM.
I was wondering if you could order another main drain stand pipe since it’s 32mm instead of 25mm, but I would thing the bulkheads would be different sizes?

OP
OP
Dan Snyder

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t switch the 25mm for the 32mm since the glass is cut to those sizes. Yea the bulk head would be standard, a lot of modification. They way we do it the best way.

Zbryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t switch the 25mm for the 32mm since the glass is cut to those sizes. Yea the bulk head would be standard, a lot of modification. They way we do it the best way.
Thanks for answering all my questions. Beautiful build! Can’t wait to see how it progresses!

OP
OP
Dan Snyder

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s 1” reg white pvc and it’s an Aqua ultraviolet 57 watt stabilizer. It’s a 2” union I believe and I had to reduce it. Those unions r crazy special so have it planned out well. Hope that helps

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, great build. Really like how you set up the control side. Couple questions- from what I see- you put some small wooden segments (not sure what to call them) with magnets on the side walls of the cabinet. You attached magnetically the yellow plexiglass? Another wooden segment with more magnets and then the Black plexiglass? no hinges am I correct?

How did you attach those wooden pieces to the cabinet?

How easy is it to drill through the plexiglass to attach the Apex modules? Does it tend to crack?

Thank!

OP
OP
Dan Snyder

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you are correct! 1” x 1” wood painted black, which you could use another material drilled to the side of cabinet. Did magnets where the yellow plexiglass attaches to the wood! Then did another 1”x1” on the yellow plexiglass drilled from behind, so the cover can magnet on which had magnets on the back! ( has a little shadow inside to cover some of the wires ). The cover needs less magnets so you can take it off without the “platform” where the controllers are mounted doesn’t comes off (common sense). No hinges.
Plexiglass I ordered transparent, so backed it with vinyl wrap so you do not see threw to the inside. Should have just got solid.
The plexiglass drills nicely. No cracks, or splits just support it well. New bit and your good, it’s kinda soft and drills perfect, bigger holes step bit [emoji1360]. Stainless hardware, bolts and nuts.

If I where to do it again I would dowl the main control panel and magnet the top! Bc I had to use a lot of magnets to keep the panels from sliding, with the dowl you would only need 4 each section will look way cleaner and never move win win [emoji6].

Did it all in 1/4” plywood first to get all the sizes and angles right. Plexiglass isn’t cheap only get one cut. Hope that helped. Feel free to ask anything :)

OP
OP
Dan Snyder

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, great build. Really like how you set up the control side. Couple questions- from what I see- you put some small wooden segments (not sure what to call them) with magnets on the side walls of the cabinet. You attached magnetically the yellow plexiglass? Another wooden segment with more magnets and then the Black plexiglass? no hinges am I correct?

How did you attach those wooden pieces to the cabinet?

How easy is it to drill through the plexiglass to attach the Apex modules? Does it tend to crack?

Thank!

Thank you! Took over a year to plan out! But well worth it! Let me know if you have anymore questions!

OP
OP
Dan Snyder

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will post some updates soon! Just put an ozone on it dialing it all in and adding the fish I have in QT soon as well. Had a velvet out brake and lost everything but 3 Fish! So almost up to my 76 day mark.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you! I had already made my boards with the crappy wooden shelves at Home Depot but was never happy with it. I'm thinking I'm going to go your route. I'll leave my top board in place that is L bracketed to the top of the cabinet and cover it with plexiglass. Then do your trick with the 1x1 wood and magnets for the middle and bottom panels . Thanks again!

OP
OP
Dan Snyder

Dan Snyder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So finally peeled off my paper cover on the acrylic in the electrical cabinet! Ready for BIG things putting in the Gem tang in a few days then I will post a video!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back