Daniel's 225g Peninsula Reef! Let's get this build going!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright!! This has been a long time coming... Let's get this party started!!

I'm so excited about this reef! This is pretty much my dream tank finally happening. As long as I've been in the hobby, I've wanted a big peninsula reef tank. Our previous living space just wasn't made for anything like this, but now we've finally got the space for it!

We're still in the build/planning phase for a lot of this, so for now, I'll share with you what is already done and tell you what the plans for this tank will be.

Here's a basic system profile with what is already set and some of what is still being planned.
  • Display Tank: 225g peninsula tank 72" long x 30" wide x 24" high built by @CDA Fish Tanks
  • Stand and canopy: Custom Shaker style stand w/bar and canopy also being built by CDA Fish Tanks
  • Rock: Dry rock structures built from dry rock that I've been accumulating over the years along with about 40lb. of base rock from @LiverockRocks
  • Sand: 120 lb. of Fiji Pink mixed with 60 lb. of TBS live sand from @LiverockRocks
  • Sump: Custom sump currently being designed and built by @Elder1945 of Adaptive Reef! I'm super excited for this! Kyle is an artist, and I can't wait to see how this turns out!
  • Protein Skimmer: Also being designed and built by @Elder1945 of Adaptive Reef!
  • Additional Mechanical Filtration: Planning to run a ReefMat 1200 by @Red Sea.
  • Return Pump: I'm planning to have 2 return pumps. 1 of them will be a Fluval Sea SP6 Water Pump (3,434 GPH). I'm still deciding what the 2nd one will be.
  • Chemical Filtration: GFO / GAC as needed. I'm not planning to run a reactor continuously unless the tank needs it.
  • Refugium: I'm planning to run a macroalgae reactor for pod production and nutrient offset.
  • Water Circulation: 2 of the Gyre XF350 pumps from @Maxspect
  • Lighting: 6 Atlantik Icons from @Orphek. This tank is gonna be LIT!!
  • Calcium/Alkalinity/Magnesium: I'm still debating this. I go back and forth between setting up a calcium reactor or running a dosing system. I'm planning to start out with an AWC doing daily water 2% changes, so that should keep me set for a little while at least.
  • AWC/ATO: AutoAqua Smart AWC Duo
  • Heating: 2 Finnex 500w titanium heaters
  • System Control: Neptune Apex
  • Testing and Monitoring: Alkatronic and Mastertronic
  • Frag Tank: 30g (I think). It will be located under the stand.
I'm planning to keep the ATO/AWC reservoirs and frag tank under the stand and to have the rest of the equipment (sump included) in a large cabinet off to the side of the tank. I think this setup will help me to be better about maintenance (since I won't have to go under the stand to get to the equipment).

Aquascape and substrate: I've been hoarding LOTS of dry rock for years. I think my wife is most excited because I've promised that whatever rock isn't used in the tank will be gone from our garage after this. :D I'm thinking of adding some live rock as base for seeding the dry rock structures. I know TBS (@LiverockRocks) has some amazing stuff, so I may be hitting them up for some good base rock. EDIT: I placed my order on Cyber Monday with TBS for 40 lb. of base rock and 60 lb. of live sand, and couldn't be more excited!

For substrate, I'll be mixing the 60 lb. of live sand from TBS with 120 lb. of Fiji Pink sand

Stocking (Fish):

I'm still debating a final stocking list, and I've got a few crazy ideas that will almost certainly get edited out once I get started. Here's a few of my current thoughts:
  • Clownfish pair (I'll be adding my clownfish pair that I've had with me since my Nano in 90 build in 2013...funny to realize these fish are older than my 8-year-old son.).
  • Tangs (I'm planning to have at least 3, but leaning toward 5)
  • Wrasses (I want plenty of wrasses...thinking of adding a Harlequin Tusk)
  • Mandarin dragonet (maybe a pair)
  • Barnacle blennies - I love these guys since having them in the Waterbox 25g. They're so much fun!
  • A pair of Japanese swallowtail angelfish. These guys have been on my bucket list for a long time. Excited to finally get them!
  • Now for my out-of-the-box considerations: I already mentioned the harlequin tusk. I'd also like to have a snowflake moray (or some other small moray) and a clown trigger... :cool: but those will probably get bumped from the list because of some of the other fish I'm wanting.
  • thinking of adding some other blennies and gobies as well...any other suggestions?
Stocking (Corals):

This will be a mixed reef. I'm planning to definitely have lots of acros, but I also want a nice mushroom garden (got some of those already growing), acans, chalices, blastos...I'm still a sucker for nice LPS.

Stocking (Other Inverts):

I've got a CSB nem that will go in here, and I'd like to have some clams. I'd also like to have a sea cucumber in here (depending on what substrate I end up with).

So... these are my current plans... What do you guys think?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank is ready, and the stand is still being built! Pics are from @Crystal Dynamic Aquariums:

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daniel,

This tank looks like it's going to be straight up mind blowing. I love the Barnacle Blenny stocking suggestion. You could do a starry blenny or a red spotted goby (the name is skipping my mind here), but in a tank that big depending on the corals and inverts you pick you may be able to get a nicely sized hawkfish or an angelfish once your corals grow out (a nipper for sure, but hey, it's only one right?).

The sea cucumber would be my only concern as I've heard horror stories from Sanjay about his sea cucumber he used to keep wiping out his fish twice randomly over a period of years and him racking his brain only to determine it was the cucumber had moved and or reproduced and gotten into a pump.

For flow, the Maxspect gyre 280 is really nice. One on each side would probably set you up great for some solid flow at any level you want!

A tank like this would look really good with a mix of fine sand and rubble like Two Little Fishes Reborn, and keep the same bed interesting imo, (something I'm definitely going to do on my barebottom 40b after getting the idea for it from Jake Adams). This compression of the sand by the rubble might allow you to obtain higher flow.

Other than that, I'm following. I suppose maybe it's time to consider making my own build thread too. It's just a motivational thing I guess!
Excited for you!!!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Daniel,

This tank looks like it's going to be straight up mind blowing. I love the Barnacle Blenny stocking suggestion. You could do a starry blenny or a red spotted goby (the name is skipping my mind here), but in a tank that big depending on the corals and inverts you pick you may be able to get a nicely sized hawkfish or an angelfish once your corals grow out (a nipper for sure, but hey, it's only one right?).

The sea cucumber would be my only concern as I've heard horror stories from Sanjay about his sea cucumber he used to keep wiping out his fish twice randomly over a period of years and him racking his brain only to determine it was the cucumber had moved and or reproduced and gotten into a pump.

For flow, the Maxspect gyre 280 is really nice. One on each side would probably set you up great for some solid flow at any level you want!

A tank like this would look really good with a mix of fine sand and rubble like Two Little Fishes Reborn, and keep the same bed interesting imo, (something I'm definitely going to do on my barebottom 40b after getting the idea for it from Jake Adams). This compression of the sand by the rubble might allow you to obtain higher flow.

Other than that, I'm following. I suppose maybe it's time to consider making my own build thread too. It's just a motivational thing I guess!
Excited for you!!!
Thanks!!

You mentioned angelfish, and that reminded me that I forgot to include in my planned stock list that I'm planning to have a pair of Japanese swallowtail angelfish. They've been on my bucket list for a while, but I forgot them when making my initial post (gonna go add them now).

Good thought on the sea cucumber. I go back and forth on them. I've seen lots of people who successfully keep them, but I'm not sure it's worth the risk either way (they're not very high on my priority list anyway).

Looking forward to seeing your build too!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

BlingityBling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super awesome setup for sure. The Harlequin Tusk is a phenomenally beautiful fish. I had one years ago before getting into corals so I don't know how they would be with LPS. I can say the one I had we named the Grimm Reaper...lol He went after anything that moved that wasn't as big as he was. Eventually took him back to my LFS so I could have small fish, shrimp and snails etc... haha. I often think of getting another, until I look at all the stuff I have that would be dead the next day lol. I do have a flame hawkfish that leaves the corals alone. Still working on a stock list of my own for a tank I'm working on... this stuff gets addictive. Have fun!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! I'm excited for the tank

I am liking this build already.
Thanks guys!!
Let me know when you are ready - I will send you some Acro frags. Nothing crazy, just honest, colorful, easy Acros.
Awesome!! Thank you, sir!!
Super awesome setup for sure. The Harlequin Tusk is a phenomenally beautiful fish. I had one years ago before getting into corals so I don't know how they would be with LPS. I can say the one I had we named the Grimm Reaper...lol He went after anything that moved that wasn't as big as he was. Eventually took him back to my LFS so I could have small fish, shrimp and snails etc... haha. I often think of getting another, until I look at all the stuff I have that would be dead the next day lol. I do have a flame hawkfish that leaves the corals alone. Still working on a stock list of my own for a tank I'm working on... this stuff gets addictive. Have fun!
Right!? Developing a stocklist is tough! ...Tough to stick to! Haha!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up a number of things over the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales including a Mastertronic, 2 Maxspect Gyre XF350s, and TBS live rock and live sand. :cool:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fond of the Harlequin tusk also. I am not sure if he ate my clams or if it was something else nipping at it?

I'm looking for a pair of barnacle blennies myself. I haven't had one in 20 years at home. Gotta fix that.

Didn't you just put up a thread about a tank being too crowded, or was that someone else? I'm getting fond of uncrowded tanks but I never have figured out how to have one.

I would offer to help lift that tank in place but I'm too old to be reliable on my end anymore. :(

Maybe run both a calcium reactor with a dosing pump to fill in once the corals start growing! Its gonna be fantastic!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back