Daniel's 225g Peninsula Reef! Let's get this build going!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow...you are the first fellow Fontuckian I have counter that has a reef too. Hi there!!!
Hello there, neighbor! You'll have to come check out the system once it's up and running!
I'm fond of the Harlequin tusk also. I am not sure if he ate my clams or if it was something else nipping at it?

I'm looking for a pair of barnacle blennies myself. I haven't had one in 20 years at home. Gotta fix that.

Didn't you just put up a thread about a tank being too crowded, or was that someone else? I'm getting fond of uncrowded tanks but I never have figured out how to have one.

I would offer to help lift that tank in place but I'm too old to be reliable on my end anymore. :(

Maybe run both a calcium reactor with a dosing pump to fill in once the corals start growing! Its gonna be fantastic!
I plan to at least try a Harlequin Tusk...but I'm gonna have to watch him pretty closely I think. Hopefully, I'll find one to be a good citizen. :) @Dr. Reef found some barnacle blennies for me for the office tank. I suggest reaching out to him. The fish I've gotten from him have always been super healthy.

I'm guilty of overcrowding tanks for sure, but no threads on that recently from me. :D

I think on the dosing, I'm going to start out with either All-for-Reef or some type of 2-part with the plan to later on go to a Cal Rx. I have a Kamoer X1 doser that I think I'll use to get started.
Very nice. Lovin' that peninsula style. You're gonna need A LOT of coral.
You must be excited! Nice Tank
Thanks so much and YES lots of coral!!

BrittneyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to watch this progress! What time frame are you shooting to have water in it?

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been thinking about putting together a large (150-200) gallon peninsula for when i move into the new house and one of my go to fish would be 2 or 3 hi hat drums. Super active and definitely unique. Looking forward to seeing this tank grow.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there, neighbor! You'll have to come check out the system once it's up and running!

I plan to at least try a Harlequin Tusk...but I'm gonna have to watch him pretty closely I think. Hopefully, I'll find one to be a good citizen. :) @Dr. Reef found some barnacle blennies for me for the office tank. I suggest reaching out to him. The fish I've gotten from him have always been super healthy.

I'm guilty of overcrowding tanks for sure, but no threads on that recently from me. :D

I think on the dosing, I'm going to start out with either All-for-Reef or some type of 2-part with the plan to later on go to a Cal Rx. I have a Kamoer X1 doser that I think I'll use to get started.

Thanks so much and YES lots of coral!!!
DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY get a Harlequin Tusk especially an Aussie. That fish is on my priority fish list taking #1 spot when I upgrade my tank!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to watch this progress! What time frame are you shooting to have water in it?
Not totally sure. Still waiting to receive the tank. Once I have it, then the clock starts. :cool:

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to see it come along :)
Me too!!! Still waiting on the tank and a few other pieces of equipment.

Bored Daily Show GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any teasers?
Unfortunately, I don't really have anything by way of teasers at the moment other than the pics I posted earlier. I am really excited about this build and have some fun ideas! The stand will actually have a bar built into it, and I'll be positioning my new coffee/espresso bar next to it, so I can prepare my morning latte or espresso drink (or a cold brew on tap in the afternoon) and sit at the bar and watch the reef. :cool:

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, I don't really have anything by way of teasers at the moment other than the pics I posted earlier. I am really excited about this build and have some fun ideas! The stand will actually have a bar built into it, and I'll be positioning my new coffee/espresso bar next to it, so I can prepare my morning latte or espresso drink (or a cold brew on tap in the afternoon) and sit at the bar and watch the reef. :cool:

LOL

Think if I had espresso next to my tank in the morning, I'd start the day off paranoid...

Just getting more into coffee... just bought the Supreme x Moccamaster coffee maker a few weeks ago. Started grinding my own coffee and trying different mail order beans.

We just sold our brewpub a few months ago and just had twin girls. Buddy of mine said get into coffee instead of beer, it's a lot better when caring for babies lol

Also the 2 hours of sleep between feedings, makes coffee a little more desirable lol

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just getting more into coffee... just bought the Supreme x Moccamaster coffee maker a few weeks ago. Started grinding my own coffee and trying different mail order beans.
Awesome! We're playing with all kinds of stuff right now (and low-key hoping to open a coffee shop at some point). I use a Baratza 270WI grinder for my espresso and a Rocket Appartamento for brewing it. I've also started really having fun with cold brew coffees. I've also started learning about different methods of brewing and preparing coffee from other cultures around the world. I really enjoy Vietnamese coffee, and I just got a Turkish coffee set for my birthday that I can't wait to try out. Yeah...I'm a bit of a coffee nut.
We just sold our brewpub a few months ago and just had twin girls.
Congratulations!! That's awesome!! They'll change your life for sure!
Buddy of mine said get into coffee instead of beer, it's a lot better when caring for babies lol
LOL Sounds like very wise advice. :D
Also the 2 hours of sleep between feedings, makes coffee a little more desirable lol
Indeed!!
1671127115139.png

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! We're playing with all kinds of stuff right now (and low-key hoping to open a coffee shop at some point). I use a Baratza 270WI grinder for my espresso and a Rocket Appartamento for brewing it. I've also started really having fun with cold brew coffees. I've also started learning about different methods of brewing and preparing coffee from other cultures around the world. I really enjoy Vietnamese coffee, and I just got a Turkish coffee set for my birthday that I can't wait to try out. Yeah...I'm a bit of a coffee nut.

Congratulations!! That's awesome!! They'll change your life for sure!

LOL Sounds like very wise advice. :D

Indeed!!

Awesome!

A word of advice on opening something...

I'd say a coffee shop is kind of like a brewpub. We moved from Austin to a small town about an hour west where my wife has ranch land. We had a house there already we were planning on making an Airbnb.

We were used to going to our local Whole Foods that had a beer bar upstairs and were at 5-6 times a week. We really missed it, so we decided to make our own. With everything I do, I went over the top. Gut renovated a building in the town square that was built in the 1800s, put in the best cooler and draft system I could find to be built with 52 taps. Also started brewing our own as well. Being super passionate about weird / rare beer I got every distributor from San Antonio to Austin to come out to us and even had some impossible to get beer that is sold only at certain breweries at our place, first time outside of those breweries they were served. Also had some breweries form other states and countries get approval to sell in Texas just for us.

So yeah was super awesome and probably had the best selection in Texas, in a town of 3000 people. I was running a hybrid system of CO2/Nitrogen on all taps and honestly had a hard time drinking off of other draft systems.

The brewpub was a success and converted a town of non-craft beer drinking into craft beer drinkers.

Prior to this my wife and I had always worked from home. Main business was highend watches and jewelry and real estate. So having to be somewhere 5 days a week (Covid and hard to find good help) on a schedule and having to be nice and talkative even when the day wasn't going well got to us. Also forget going to dinner / grocery shopping / doing some work in the front yard without having to have a conversation.

Might just be us, but something to think about.

We bought the building at a great time and did well when we sold to customers of ours. The place does have a different feel from when we ran it, but that's to be expected. Also we weren't looking to maximize profits, so I'd sometime put stuff on tap that would break even just to have, so the ultra rare stuff is missing now :(

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Will your ATO feed into the espresso machine?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is going to be one sweet setup! Love the idea of making a coffee bar with the stand :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back