Daniel's Reef Savvy 50g Cube - A Recovering Build...

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful work with the crate transformation into the stand. Fw isn't a bad start for him to get wet n really get the yearning for sw lol. I'm sure helping you with this project will get him thinking about reefing more n more also lol.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude I think it looks great!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on the win, create as tank stand a novel idea, you are off to a great start. i had to wait 14 months on my Reef Savvy LOL
Thanks! Still seems surreal that I won the tank. I honestly dropped the tickets in there and thought "well, those won't do much" LOL
Looking good bro!
Thanks, bro!
Beautiful work with the crate transformation into the stand. Fw isn't a bad start for him to get wet n really get the yearning for sw lol. I'm sure helping you with this project will get him thinking about reefing more n more also lol.
That's kind of what I'm thinking too. He's a really creative guy too, so I'd love to see what he can do with a reef tank. He's excited about the reef too, so maybe he'll catch the reef bug pretty soon.
Looks great.

Dude I think it looks great!

Loving the crate stand idea !!!
Thanks guys! :)
Stand looks great!. Are you going to put some clear over it to protect the logo and the wood?
Yep! I'm going to lightly stain the wood and then apply about 3 layers of polyurethane. I want to keep the stain light do that the burned logo still shows up well.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got a bit of staining done last night. :)

20160930_082227.jpg

20160930_085742.jpg

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!
Any thoughts about using a glaze to make the logo "pop" along with making the crate look more rustic and aged?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!
Any thoughts about using a glaze to make the logo "pop" along with making the crate look more rustic and aged?
Hmm...I'm a bit of a novice where carpentry work is concerned. When you say "glaze" is that the same thing as polyurethane? I am planning to clear coat it with a glossy polyurethane, but if there's something better to use, I'm open to suggestions. :D

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A glaze is another product that you would apply (and remove) prior to sealing and finishing the stand.
Glazes usually come as a liquid that is thicker than normal stain. You can wipe the glaze on with a brush or rag getting the glaze into the corners and imperfections of the material; the engraved logo in you case. After the glaze dries for a short while, you take a clean rag and wipe away most of the glaze leaving as much as you want in the areas you want it to add color. The less you wipe away in the corners makes the piece look more antiqued. When you achieve the antiqued look you're going after, you would then apply your sealant and finish coats.
Using the glaze is very easy and adds a quite a bit of character to your cabinetry.

I would think a very dark brown glaze applied to the engraved logo and all of the corners would really make this stand a work of art.
I've done this on many new and refurbished pieces with great results.
And if you like the antiqued look, you could always distress the crate even more by making scratches, pick marks and dents with various tools and methods. It could look like the Arc of the Covenant was in there for thousands of years!

If you have more questions, just ask.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A glaze is another product that you would apply (and remove) prior to sealing and finishing the stand.
Glazes usually come as a liquid that is thicker than normal stain. You can wipe the glaze on with a brush or rag getting the glaze into the corners and imperfections of the material; the engraved logo in you case. After the glaze dries for a short while, you take a clean rag and wipe away most of the glaze leaving as much as you want in the areas you want it to add color. The less you wipe away in the corners makes the piece look more antiqued. When you achieve the antiqued look you're going after, you would then apply your sealant and finish coats.
Using the glaze is very easy and adds a quite a bit of character to your cabinetry.

I would think a very dark brown glaze applied to the engraved logo and all of the corners would really make this stand a work of art.
I've done this on many new and refurbished pieces with great results.
And if you like the antiqued look, you could always distress the crate even more by making scratches, pick marks and dents with various tools and methods. It could look like the Arc of the Covenant was in there for thousands of years!

If you have more questions, just ask.
Awesome! I have to make a Home Depot run in a bit anyway, so I'll pick some up. I figure I should probably try it on the underside and back the stand first to figure out what I'm doing. Are there any "how to use glaze" articles that you would recommend I read as I do this? I can definitely google it, but if there are some articles that are better than others, I'd rather check out one of those.

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any to recommend but it's rather simple.
Wipe on. Wipe off.

I've been building and finishing cabinets for almost twenty years now, so I can give you a few pointers.

You're correct about trying out the glaze on a surface that isn't viewed easily. Test your methods until you're happy with them and then apply your seal coat to see if that changes anything about the appearance; i.e. color. When it comes time for the rest of the stand, try and do the glazing process on all sides at once. Sometimes your methods change if you wait for a long period of time and the final look could look disjointed.
When working with the glaze, it's best to wipe the majority of it off from the large flat areas where the glaze isn't going to do much for the look. Keep the corners and distressed areas for last so you can concentrate on those spots to achieve the desired look. You can keep adding more glaze if you take too much off; it's very forgiving that way. You can even apply glaze over a seal coat if you think you want more of an effect, but it may not match the first coats; which could add more of a layered effect.
If you're really adventurous, you can use multiple colors of glaze for added effects. Or even apply some glaze with a sponge in places to give it a weathered look.

See... Glazing is very easy. It's just the stress of getting the first piece done before you feel comfortable enough to do the rest of the project; similar to drilling a hole in your glass tank.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I've bought the glaze, but I haven't had any time to work on this in the last few days. I'm hoping maybe tonight...we'll see...

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%

Back