Daniel's Reef Savvy 50g Cube - A Recovering Build...

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those fireworms will eat the nudis and eggs thats another predator , hope they are all out also .
Most are gone since I cut back on feeding and rinsed the sand bed.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20191203_131251.jpg

20191203_140635.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Caught them in the act tonight! Berghias getting it done!

20191222_220515.jpg

20191222_220533.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haven't seen the berghias in a while despite really trying to look for them after lights out, but there are FAR fewer aiptasia in the tank, and there seem to be fewer every day. So, I'm thinking they're in there doing their job. (Ha! I just used all 3 "theres" in that last sentence ...things only grammar nerds enjoy noticing...)

I am now experiencing a nasty cyano outbreak. I decided to reduce my photoperiod back to 12 hours to see if that might help.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now experiencing a nasty cyano outbreak. I decided to reduce my photoperiod back to 12 hours to see if that might help.
I'm impressed! I was shocked you could keep the appy's alive this long. Once they were gone I figured nothing would live but you are successfully growing cyano! Well done!!! ;Troll;Troll:p

Just please don't use a chemical bomb to make the cyano go away. It will take some maintenance, but using antibiotics like Chemi-clean are only a temporary fix and completely unnecessary imo.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did you get the berghias?
Got them from saltyunderground.com. Free shipping on orders over $75. :cool:
hold up .... back to 12 hours! what was it ?
I had extended it to mimic the timeframe of sunlight on an actual reef. 7 AM to 10:30 PM is what I had going. This is the post where I talked about it:
I'm playing with my light schedule a little...we'll call it an experiment...

Here's the schedule I've been running:

1.jpg

However, I got to wondering what a typical day schedule is on the reef, so after looking at several charts like this one:

1.jpg

I decided to extend my daylight period as well as my ramping times. My schedule isn't intended to be an EXACT replica of this one (particularly since my viewing time is not on the same schedule as the reef), but I think the time allotments are fairly close... Here's what I'll be running and watching to see how it impacts (or doesn't impact) my reef.

2.jpg

In the above, the light period is 7 AM to 10:30 PM (same timeframe as 4:30 AM to 8 PM in the above natural reef chart). It's blues only to the first point (8:30 AM) and from the last point (9:00 PM) with ramp up from blues only to about 18.5k (the spectrum of the SPS AB+ formula by EcoTech) which runs from 9:30 AM to 8 PM as my peak lighting.

Feel free to poke holes or throw darts or tomatoes (I prefer tomatoes...they're softer).

It's obviously not necessary, but I thought why not try it...it gives me more viewing time and maybe mimicing the reef photoperiod will actually give better growth. I haven't seen where it hurt anything, but since I'm battling cyano now, I figure less growing time for the nasty junk won't hurt. Plus, the berghias are nocturnal, so giving them more time to roam will be beneficial too.

I moved back to running 9 AM to 9 PM with a roughly 1.5 hour ramp up/down (so peak is about 10:30 AM to 7:30 PM)

I'm impressed! I was shocked you could keep the appy's alive this long. Once they were gone I figured nothing would live but you are successfully growing cyano! Well done!!! ;Troll;Troll:p
Thanks! It's nice that someone appreciates the work I put in to keep stuff alive in here. :p
Just please don't use a chemical bomb to make the cyano go away. It will take some maintenance, but using antibiotics like Chemi-clean are only a temporary fix and completely unnecessary imo.
Yep. I'm all for avoiding quick fixes to most things. I learned my lesson with those on previous tanks. LOL IME most of the time beating cyano is about getting things in balance and waiting it out (that is so long as flow is good...and in my case, I'm running an MP40 at full speed on 50g...I think I'm good there. :cool: ).

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long were your lights on before?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back