Daniel's Reef Savvy 50g Cube - A Recovering Build...

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, LOL you're WAY behind on BOTH of my build threads, I don't want to hear about minutes :p

I will admit I got scared when I read "Long Tentacle" and saw the picture of the coral with a red base. I thought you were going to kill a LTA before my very eyes and make me sit here and watch helplessly from across the country.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, LOL you're WAY behind on BOTH of my build threads, I don't want to hear about minutes :p
Not so!!! I am totally caught up!! (and I was only behind like 1 week anyhow :p) :D

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does he ever come out or just spends most of his time under the plate?
Was coming out a bit, but now seems to be staying under there. :(

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't been following along here closely enough. I gather the anthias was recently added, but how long has the flasher been in the tank? He's hiding from something. If he's been in there less than 2 weeks, I wouldn't worry yet - but if he's been in there longer than that and his behavior suddenly changed like this, then someone is being a bully.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven't been following along here closely enough. I gather the anthias was recently added, but how long has the flasher been in the tank? He's hiding from something. If he's been in there less than 2 weeks, I wouldn't worry yet - but if he's been in there longer than that and his behavior suddenly changed like this, then someone is being a bully.
Yep. I've had the flasher for over 6 months.

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Anthias is a bully. Get a grouper to take care of him. Or take my Bangaii to put the Anthias in his place

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It looks like he changed hiding spots. I'll feed here in a bit to see if he comes out to eat. I'm guessing the anthias would be the most likely aggressor since he's new, but there didn't seem to be any aggression when I was observing. Any tips? Anything I can do?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait it out, and keep a close eye on how the anthias behaves towards the wrasse. Especially during feeding time.
Agree.

And take a few steps back away from the tank and sit down for a bit and just observe for a while. Sometimes fish behave differently when they're not watching you.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, he did come out to eat for a while. No apparent aggression from anyone for a good 10 minutes or so. That is, there wasn't any aggression until he managed to swim near the clownfish's BTA then he got chased by my female clown. He went right back to hiding. Come to think of it, the clowns were overly interested in the plate coral too...probably thought it was another nem (stupid clowns). I'm wondering if maybe that's the aggression he's experiencing... I'll keep watching.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like he changed hiding spots. I'll feed here in a bit to see if he comes out to eat. I'm guessing the anthias would be the most likely aggressor since he's new, but there didn't seem to be any aggression when I was observing. Any tips? Anything I can do?

Seeing as you feed once every 2-3 days, you're going to need to update how often you feed too. Wrasse and Anthias have an especially quick metabolism, and if you have them fed so infrequently they may be more prone to fighting.

Moar food = Moar relax.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, he did come out to eat for a while. No apparent aggression from anyone for a good 10 minutes or so. That is, there wasn't any aggression until he managed to swim near the clownfish's BTA then he got chased by my female clown. He went right back to hiding. Come to think of it, the clowns were overly interested in the plate coral too...probably thought it was another nem (stupid clowns). I'm wondering if maybe that's the aggression he's experiencing... I'll keep watching.

On top of feeding your fish like you want them to live, you might want to get rid of the clowns. They're jerkwads. Especially a mated pair. My bangaii will take care of 'em, trust me :/

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Seeing as you feed once every 2-3 days, you're going to need to update how often you feed too. Wrasse and Anthias have an especially quick metabolism, and if you have them fed so infrequently they may be more prone to fighting.

Moar food = Moar relax.

Umm...I feed twice a day.

On top of feeding your fish like you want them to live, you might want to get rid of the clowns. They're jerkwads. Especially a mated pair. My bangaii will take care of 'em, trust me :/

Nope. I like the clowns. I'd move the wrasse out of the tank first.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree.

And take a few steps back away from the tank and sit down for a bit and just observe for a while. Sometimes fish behave differently when they're not watching you.

My fish watch me while I sleep. The first thing I see when I open my eyes are my fish starting at me in the AM, waiting for the food monster to come visit them.

I don't know how my Yellow Assessor mastered puppy-dog eyes, but he has. When that fish wants food he somehow morphs his body into a pair of giant sad eyes with a lil fish attached.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so!!! I am totally caught up!! (and I was only behind like 1 week anyhow :p) :D

UiGU093.png

1xdad5.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back