Daniel's Reef Savvy 50g Cube - SPS Dominant Mixed Reef

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by mdbannister, Sep 23, 2016.

1. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Working on getting the Cal Rx set up today. It's a bit of a job. I'm not sure about when I should be working on calibrating the probe and connecting it. I'm guessing that's done before you fill it with water. :confused:

GoVols likes this.

2. mdbannister

mdbannister Ahh...the Reef Life Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

GoVols likes this.
  3. mdbannister

So...day 3 of working on this stupid calcium reactor (might help if my time wasn't so limited). Tonight I discovered an issue with the solenoid. Basically, anytime I open the CO2 tank valve, I get a gas leak through the solenoid.

This is the solenoid:

20171014_211136.jpg

This is where it's leaking

20171014_211115.jpg

Any help? #reefsquad

GoVols, jsker and reeferfoxx like this.
  4. reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I had the exact same leak with the same solenoid! In fact I still have it in the closet somewhere. Should be in the trash.

GoVols, jsker and mdbannister like this.
  5. mdbannister

Well that's unfortunate. So no fixing it?

GoVols and jsker like this.
  6. reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Honestly, I don't know. I never attempted it. My purpose was for a planted tank a few years ago. I dealt with it for about a year but never had success. Kept causing plants to melt and co2 to escape so I went back to liquid co2.

GoVols, jsker and mdbannister like this.
  7. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

If you are going to continue with the Co2/Ca reactor experiment, get a new one. Co2 can kill you.

GoVols and mdbannister like this.
  8. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club Partner Member 2018

I believe that it is a pressure relief valve in the regulator that is causing the leak. Not sure if that would be user fixable or not.

GoVols and mdbannister like this.
  9. mdbannister

That's what I'm thinking it is too. That's why I was wondering if it was possible reparable.

jsker and GoVols like this.
  10. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club Partner Member 2018

Do you know the brand and model number?

GoVols likes this.
  11. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

This is why I always invest in a chiller.

Family went to Florida in 2008 on vacation. Got home a week later and central AC had gone out. Home temp was 96 degree's and reef was a total loss ;Dead

AC went out two summer's ago... the chiller did the job... payed for itself in one day :)

And I'll walk myself back to page 23 ;Wacky

jsker and fabutahoun like this.
  12. GoVols

GoVols "VFL" R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award MTRCMember Reef Tank 365 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Daniel,
    Great thread / Gotta love the stand.

(lol)
    I don't know if @Rakie @Amoo or you are steering the wheel but... that some funny stuff going on!!!

Thanks for sharing your build.

Freddie

mdbannister, Amoo and jsker like this.
  13. Amoo

Amoo The Moo Daddy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Wait there's supposed to be a driver?

jsker, mdbannister and GoVols like this.
  14. GoVols

Let me drive it for one post...

(lol)
    Daniel... Throw that old regulator away... before you blow yourself up!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

jsker, mdbannister and Amoo like this.
  15. Amoo

Amoo The Moo Daddy R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I think he purposely sabotaged his own regulator so he has an excuse to continue killing things.....just sayin

16. reeferfoxx

Its one that marine depot sells on there site. No name. Lol

17. reeferfoxx

And if one were to purchase another I would get it from co2art.

18. evolved

evolved The Wrasse Guy Staff Member Team R2R R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor AZ FRAG Member Build Thread Contributor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018

19. GoVols

Green Leaf Aquariums :)

jsker and reeferfoxx like this.
  20. Rakie

Rakie Federal Coral Reserve R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I put a voodoo curse on his tank 'cause I thought he was being lazy. I mean, I was right... But it's too late, the curse has become strong!

jsker, mdbannister and GoVols like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted