Daniel's Reef Savvy 50g Cube - A Recovering Build...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank was mostly SPS, and unfortunately it's about a 99.56% loss. I think I have a couple of montis and one acro that are barely hanging on. LPS is mostly ok. Fish are thriving like nothing's happened at all. LOL

I know the basic issue was neglect from some major traveling I did towards the end of last year. Basically, I ended up with an alk swing that took out some acros and set off a domino effect that practically leveled all of my SPS. I'm not gonna lie...for a while, I didn't even really wanna look at the tank, but at this point I think it's time to put some major effort into the rebuild now that the dust has pretty well settled.
At one point I kept a row of 2o dead SPS frags next to my tank to remind me 1) not to be stupid and 2) not to rush things. I still keep 3 of them near where I store my chemicals/supplies just in case I get a little itch to try something new.
Not sure anything is as satisfying as a rebuild/restart where things finally go right!

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At one point I kept a row of 2o dead SPS frags next to my tank to remind me 1) not to be stupid and 2) not to rush things. I still keep 3 of them near where I store my chemicals/supplies just in case I get a little itch to try something new.
Not sure anything is as satisfying as a rebuild/restart where things finally go right!

I did/do similar but just with a single monti plate from my system many years ago that was bigger than a frisbee (18 inches accross). It was life event (death of family member) that tipped the scales to failure but still a reminder of both the great stuff I was able to do with that system (like 12 years ago before everything I know now) and secondly that choices have impact and speed kills in this endeavor.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Never forget...

20160417_170410.jpg

Rebuilds are fun - once you get over the fact you have to rebuild... :(

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang I just read this whole thing! Tank was looking so great! So sorry to hear about your SPS loss. I love the one-eyed goby, they all ready have so much character he must be a blast to watch. Thanks for the comment on my build thread!

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling all people, we need to make daniel get his CalRX hooked up!!!

He needs a kick in the pants, or something

images

I would, but he thought it was a swell idea to move to the other side of the country

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He should fly you out. I only know how to use dosers, Daniels largest fear.

Strange, I always thought it was water changes...

Lisa Cain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice!!

Okay, so let's get this party started!

I just moved from Ohio to California, so I've been without a tank for a few months now. I brought a Red Sea 130 (34g AIO cube) with me that I planned to set up in our new apartment...but I won the Reef Savvy 50g Cube in the MACNA raffle, so now I'm going to set that one up instead! (...who knows...the Red Sea may also get set up before it's over...maybe a seahorse tank...)

Tank: Reef Savvy 50g cube (24" L x 24" W x 20" H)

Stand: Made from the Reef Savvy crate that the tank came in

Planned equipment

Sump: Geo's Reef custom sump with built ATO reservoir
Skimmer: Tunze DOC 9410
Return: Quiet One something something...(I forget the actual ratings...I'll be upgrading to a Vectra M1 at my first opportunity)
Flow: MP10s (still gotta get those)
Lighting: Radion G3
Controller: Puratek Insight 24/7
Also eventually planning to add a calcium reactor of some kind (probably made by @geo as well)...but I won't need that right away.

Substrate and Rockwork
Sand: Mix of mesoflakes and reef flakes by Tropic Eden
Rock: Minimalist scape of some kind...I will be using dead/dry/acid bathed/bleached rock that I saved from my 180. Planning some type of arch or bonsai structure with shelf pieces.

Planned Livestock (this list is a work in progress)
Golden Assessor Basslet
Swales Swissguard Basslet
Diamond Goby
Pair of Black Ice Clowns
Maybe a blenny of some sort...I'm thinking midas blenny

Corals will be a mix of SPS and LPS (SPS dominant)
At least a couple of clams thrown into the mix.

Here are a few pics from MACNA of the tank and soon-to-be converted-to-stand crate.

2.jpg

1.jpg

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank was mostly SPS, and unfortunately it's about a 99.56% loss. I think I have a couple of montis and one acro that are barely hanging on. LPS is mostly ok. Fish are thriving like nothing's happened at all. LOL

I know the basic issue was neglect from some major traveling I did towards the end of last year. Basically, I ended up with an alk swing that took out some acros and set off a domino effect that practically leveled all of my SPS. I'm not gonna lie...for a while, I didn't even really wanna look at the tank, but at this point I think it's time to put some major effort into the rebuild now that the dust has pretty well settled.

Oh Daniel I am really sorry to hear that. It is time to upgrade tank and get something bigger for more staple water parameters, 180 is the perfect size ;)

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So...a small update. The tank continues to seem like it's recovering. I installed a diffuser on the radion. It was sent to me as a gift by a good friend who I think wishes I'd pay more attention to my tank. :rolleyes: I really like it so far. :D

20180219_124101.jpg

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I Live in a 2-bedroom apartment :D and the tank literary is taking 1/4 of living room but I love it. LOL.
Haha! Then, my friend, your wife is much more supportive of the hobby than mine is.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Then, my friend, your wife is much more supportive of the hobby than mine is.

The trick is to send wife to visit her parents, when she returns - surprise new big tank !!!!. After few months she will start to like it :D hahahaha
True story :rolleyes:

Last edited:

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear that your system is recovering... When you pay attention it is still painful at times.

I think Jason Fox said it best in one of his presentations. Basically you are married to your aquarium, if you want to succeed.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is very cool.
Thanks! I've got a day planned of work on the tank tomorrow. Maybe I'll finally be unashamed enough to post an update. LOL

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back