Daniel's Reef Savvy 50g Cube - A Recovering Build...

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. Here's the latest FTS. :)

It's still a ways to go before it gets back to what it was, but I'm glad things are moving forward again.

20180428_204750.jpg

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trick is to send wife to visit her parents, when she returns - surprise new big tank !!!!. After few months she will start to like it :D hahahaha
True story :rolleyes:
... :rolleyes:
............ :D

:)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Here's the latest FTS. :)

It's still a ways to go before it gets back to what it was, but I'm glad things are moving forward again.

20180428_204750.jpg
Every tank needs to start, or restart, from somewhere. Patience is so important.....

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t mind, Can you post 3 pics
First when you started
Just Before the problem with corals
Yesterday’s shot

Why?? It’s an inspiration to anyone and says how much you have to love this hobby and cannot give up when things do downhill.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok. I added some new acros to the tank, and they're not looking good after a few days. I am seriously scratching my head at this point. I'm going to do another large water change and send off for an ICP test. I'm thinking there's something I'm missing...

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don’t mind, Can you post 3 pics
First when you started
Just Before the problem with corals
Yesterday’s shot

Why?? It’s an inspiration to anyone and says how much you have to love this hobby and cannot give up when things do downhill.
Thanks for the kind words, and I'll definitely do that, but let me get out of the woods first. Unfortunately, it looks like my issues aren't over yet. :confused::rolleyes:

mahindra.dev

Euphyllia Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I added some new acros to the tank, and they're not looking good after a few days. I am seriously scratching my head at this point. I'm going to do another large water change and send off for an ICP test. I'm thinking there's something I'm missing...

Yeah ICP should give some insight. I’m doing the same thing now!!!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey you have updated the thread!
Unfortunately, my updates these days are mostly depressing. LOL I'm still waiting on the ICP test results. As soon as I get those back, I'm sure I'll have more to report. I'm thinking I may go ahead and replace my RODI filters. My TDS meter is still reading 0, but I'm starting to wonder if it's accurate bc it has been a while since I changed any filters on the RODI system.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, my updates these days are mostly depressing. LOL I'm still waiting on the ICP test results. As soon as I get those back, I'm sure I'll have more to report. I'm thinking I may go ahead and replace my RODI filters. My TDS meter is still reading 0, but I'm starting to wonder if it's accurate bc it has been a while since I changed any filters on the RODI system.
Keep in mind that a TDS only reads conductive "stuff" in your water. You can have 0 TDS and still have bad things getting through. That is why it is important to change RODI filters and resin on a regular basis and use the TDS meter as a backup.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep in mind that a TDS only reads conductive "stuff" in your water. You can have 0 TDS and still have bad things getting through. That is why it is important to change RODI filters and resin on a regular basis and use the TDS meter as a backup.
See...it's info like this that makes me think maybe I'm still a "noob" on some of this stuff! I suspected this, but didn't actually "know" it. :oops: ;Eggonface ;Facepalm Then, I think it's probably time I replace EVERYTHING in the filtration system.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See...it's info like this that makes me think maybe I'm still a "noob" on some of this stuff! I suspected this, but didn't actually "know" it. :oops: ;Eggonface ;Facepalm Then, I think it's probably time I replace EVERYTHING in the filtration system.

That's why I was telling you about chloramines (which CA loves using almost everywhere) they are an unholy amalgam of chlorine and ammonia, which will not register on a TDS meter, and will shred up a carbon filter that's not designed for Chloramines. Which leaves your RO mebrane exposed and easily destroyed by chloramines as well.

I would say barring test results, I would advice people to run 2 Chloramine filters in their RODI system.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read every post on R2R, ignore the bad information, and you will be just fine. :p

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the color change in my resin is the first indicator. I change them once I start to see that. I hope your report tell you more details. I am also waiting on mine.
Keep in mind that the resin relies on ion exchange. If something is ionic it is also conductive which will read on a TDS meter. The carbon filter and RO membrane remove the non ionic components. Regular carbon changes are very important!

That's why I was telling you about chloramines (which CA loves using almost everywhere) they are an unholy amalgam of chlorine and ammonia, which will not register on a TDS meter, and will shred up a carbon filter that's not designed for Chloramines. Which leaves your RO mebrane exposed and easily destroyed by chloramines as well.

So True!!! :mad:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great point!

I have recently been fascinated with the amount of knowledge we have as reefers in contrast to how much we do not know. More specifically, amazed as I reenter the hobby that in some areas I feel like an expert (perhaps intermediate) and with other things I know very little.

Calculate and mix a dosing solution, no problem. Fish has Ich, no clue. I think even the best out there suffer from this. It is very important to admit it and then grow. New folks often look at the "experts" here and hopefully they realize each have their specialties.

I was working on a new thread along these lines when I read this. Hopefully can post later tonight.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back