Daniel's Reef Savvy 50g Cube - A Recovering Build...

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my plan at this point is basically:

1) Replace all RODI filtration (just bc it's old anyway)
2) 75% WC to try and bring stuff back in line
3) run carbon in media reactor
4) add an MP10 on the side of the tank to increase flow (I have one lying around, so why not)
5) Wait a while before adding any new coral...no clue what a timeline like this would look like...
6) Probably try to think of other random stuff I can do so I feel like I'm doing something...even though it probably is unrelated to whatever issue was killing stuff off...
7) Consider going FOWLR...
1-4 are "good" things to do, but #5 is probably the real key.
I hear you on #7; a softie tank has started to have appeal for me. I've got a gorgonian (Pseudopterogorgia bipinnata - medium difficulty) I added that's loving life.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I may suggest getting the salinity back up to 1.025
Running a seeded bio media in the sump, GFO in the reactor to bring the nutrients back in line along with water changes. I use a product called agent green with lanthanum chloride to get my phosphates down when my phosphate get to high for the GFO to be effective and with a couple of doses the phosphate get were they need to be.

I would look at the pumps, that you have in place to see if there are not in defects. For example I found that the wetside of my MP-40 magnet has a crack and has been rusting.

What are you feeding your corals?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I may suggest getting the salinity back up to 1.025
Running a seeded bio media in the sump, GFO in the reactor to bring the nutrients back in line along with water changes. I use a product called agent green with lanthanum chloride to get my phosphates down when my phosphate get to high for the GFO to be effective and with a couple of doses the phosphate get were they need to be.

I would look at the pumps, that you have in place to see if there are not in defects. For example I found that the wetside of my MP-40 magnet has a crack and has been rusting.

What are you feeding your corals?
Thanks Jeffrey. I would think that any issues with heavy metals should show up in the ICP results, wouldn't they? I had thought maybe my pumps might be leaching something, but the results don't indicate any issues like that, so I assumed that was not an issue I should worry about any longer.

I don't actually feed the corals. I feed LRS which has stuff in it that the corals can eat, but I'm of the opinion that corals primarily subsist off of photosynthesis and supplement with whatever is in the water column.

Oh I'm glad you mentioned the biomedia. I do run siporax in the sump, but I'd forgotten about it. Till you mentioned it.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jeffrey. I would think that any issues with heavy metals should show up in the ICP results, wouldn't they? I had thought maybe my pumps might be leaching something, but the results don't indicate any issues like that, so I assumed that was not an issue I should worry about any longer.

I don't actually feed the corals. I feed LRS which has stuff in it that the corals can eat, but I'm of the opinion that corals primarily subsist off of photosynthesis and supplement with whatever is in the water column.

Oh I'm glad you mentioned the biomedia. I do run siporax in the sump, but I'd forgotten about it. Till you mentioned it.

LOL about forgetting things. We all do.

Yes correct, the test would show elevated levels of heavy metals and Randy could see this and tell you better than I.

"Spam";):D as you know I have an article about what I feed "Spam:D:D besides feeding a products such as LRS, I also add Reef Nutrition product plus vitamin for the fish and corals. The two product that I have found that work really well to feed the corals are Oyster Feast and Roti Feast. This has really helped with my growth of corals but adding more nutrients to the water column specifically for the corals.

I will say that my system is not perfect right now since I have been playing with a couple of things, but the system is now in recovery from running a low salinity, dosing my parameters to high and possible the release of heavy metals from the wetside of the MP-40.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm...coral viruses...not something I have any knowledge of. Any ideas on how I can treat for anything like that?

We can't even treat most viruses in people. :(

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This isn't a happy update, but I'll post it anyway for those following my build thread... Many of you have been following my latest issue after a fatal blunder with topping off my ATO. This is a reminder that a simple mistake can absolutely devastate your reef. Here's the thread that documents the whole thing: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-boneheaded-catastrophe.425155/

At this point, my fish all seem to be surviving. I think perhaps my palys may pull through...and MAYBE an acan or 2...my other corals and anemones are all casualties of my stupidity...along with pretty much the entire clean up crew. ;Eggonface ;Facepalm I'll rebuild...but this sucks. ;Drowning ;Blackeye

At this point, I'm considering retitling this thread "A Series of Unfortunate Events" LOL

But hopefully the future will be brighter...after all, there's not much of a direction this thing can go now but up. :D :confused: :rolleyes:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the troubles. Stuff like this happens to most all of us at one point or another. It hurts, but just take a deep breath and try to get everything back on track.

fingerscrossed.gif
for ya and wishing you some better luck!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a happy update, but I'll post it anyway for those following my build thread... Many of you have been following my latest issue after a fatal blunder with topping off my ATO. This is a reminder that a simple mistake can absolutely devastate your reef. Here's the thread that documents the whole thing: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-boneheaded-catastrophe.425155/

At this point, my fish all seem to be surviving. I think perhaps my palys may pull through...and MAYBE an acan or 2...my other corals and anemones are all casualties of my stupidity...along with pretty much the entire clean up crew. ;Eggonface ;Facepalm I'll rebuild...but this sucks. ;Drowning ;Blackeye

At this point, I'm considering retitling this thread "A Series of Unfortunate Events" LOL

But hopefully the future will be brighter...after all, there's not much of a direction this thing can go now but up. :D :confused: :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing. I learned some things in the catastrophe thread that hopefully I can file away and never have to use.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you considered kicking Murphy out of your spare bedroom? I'm not sure he is worth the rent money. o_O

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I was all ready to come in here and give you a long time no see, hard time, but this sucks. If it makes you feel better I had to reset my small tank because I did the exact same thing. I now have an external ATO...

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I was all ready to come in here and give you a long time no see, hard time, but this sucks. If it makes you feel better I had to reset my small tank because I did the exact same thing. I now have an external ATO...

It's my curse. I've given him acros 3 times, and each time he's had a crash. I'm honestly a bit perplexed myself. But as we say in fishing; Catching 1 fish is luck, catching 2 is an idea, catching 3 is a pattern.

My corals hate daniel, pattern confirmed.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just gave him some SPS and a high end Acan. Crash imminent.
Yes. This probably doomed my tank... ;Facepalm;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got some new corals in the tank, but now my heater seems to be on the fritz (I blame @Rakie's corals for that). What are the heaters you guys like best and why?

Back