View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210106_202925205.jpg
PXL_20210106_202928248.jpg

Couple newbies settling in.

Also, sad news. Caught my filefish nipping at zoas & RFAs today :rolleyes:

It was fun while it lasted sweetie, but you gotta go...
Did those Zoas grow under the sand like that? They look REALLY cool like that!

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did those Zoas grow under the sand like that? They look REALLY cool like that!
They didn't, but then my rude clowns buried them *just barely* and they're doing perfectly fine. They're on a piece of rock there. I haven't unburied them fully yet because they seem fine while random others were struggling. Now that I know why others are struggling I'll wait to dig them up fully until the filefish is gone. Already spoke to my lfs and they said they'd take him once I get him out.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*for the record* I do not recommend the eshopps sumps. Never again. :rolleyes:
Terrible flow, bulky and weird to deal with. The refugium chamber looks stagnant if I don't have something in there to create flow. I had to pull the Black mesh foam that goes from there to the return because it completely stops the flow if I don't mess with it constantly. Not worth the hassle.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn't, but then my rude clowns buried them *just barely* and they're doing perfectly fine. They're on a piece of rock there. I haven't unburied them fully yet because they seem fine while random others were struggling. Now that I know why others are struggling I'll wait to dig them up fully until the filefish is gone. Already spoke to my lfs and they said they'd take him once I get him out.
Imma recreate that. Luckily my clown is a little gent and doesn’t like to move things or dirty his fins with sand.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is so much I like about your tank that is very similar to my plans for my 90-gallon DT! (especially that Tomini tang and the engineer goby)
Right now, soft corals are some of my favorites, so mine may also be a softie-dominant mixed reef.
Now I am caught up and following along!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elegance and cynarina. Lemon lovers zoa. Actually the elegance was a replacement for an indo colony of zoas that wasn't looking very good when they went to ship it.
The elegance will look fantastic in your tank.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is so much I like about your tank that is very similar to my plans for my 90-gallon DT! (especially that Tomini tang and the engineer goby)
Right now, soft corals are some of my favorites, so mine may also be a softie-dominant mixed reef.
Just because its a softie tank doesn't mean it won't be epic. As you can see softies have great color and movement.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imma recreate that. Luckily my clown is a little gent and doesn’t like to move things or dirty his fins with sand.
I got into all of this because of these two. A friend of mine gave me her little tank with just them in it. They're a breeding pair and they're nearly 15 years old. (Lots of eggs, no fry, someone feasts on it all). They're SO obnoxious.

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into all of this because of these two. A friend of mine gave me her little tank with just them in it. They're a breeding pair and they're nearly 15 years old. (Lots of eggs, no fry, someone feasts on it all). They're SO obnoxious.
Obnoxious clowns *scoff*

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love both of them, and the chocolate tang. All hilarious to watch. I love the movement softies provide. I actually have a few stereonepthea on the way in the next week as well.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love both of them, and the chocolate tang. All hilarious to watch. I love the movement softies provide. I actually have a few stereonepthea on the way in the next week as well.
Well, add another item I am considering that you will also have in your tank with the stereonepthea! I am not sure yet, but it is on my list of considerations for sure, along with litophyton.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, add another item I am considering that you will also have in your tank with the stereonepthea! I am not sure yet, but it is on my list of considerations for sure, along with litophyton.
I have one that i suspect is a litophyton, but it was an "assorted leather" when i got it-- definitely not a sinularia. Check out @MixedFruitBasket -- I keep trying to plan out a purchase from them but the stars have yet to align

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that i suspect is a litophyton, but it was an "assorted leather" when i got it-- definitely not a sinularia. Check out @MixedFruitBasket -- I keep trying to plan out a purchase from them but the stars have yet to align
I've seen threads from @MixedFruitBasket about stereonephthya, so I will keep them in mind for considerations. Thanks for the recommendation!

Last edited:

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch the tenticles they dont play nice.

What light are you using for the mangroves. A couple im friends with just set up a display sump and had a 4 bulb 4ft t5ho grow light over them and they think it may be too much.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back