OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing pics. Any way for the file fish to be a sump lord?

Top down splam
20210120_070844.jpg
20210120_070826.jpg
The refugium chamber of my sump is just so tiny. A bunch of the rfas seem to be relaxing and opening back up, and all the newly added zoas seem just fine.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The refugium chamber of my sump is just so tiny. A bunch of the rfas seem to be relaxing and opening back up, and all the newly added zoas seem just fine.
There goes that idea. Mine seems to do well with a little extra feedings

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There goes that idea. Mine seems to do well with a little extra feedings
I mixed up a bunch of LRS, aquaeggs, selcon, shredded nori, brine, etc and refroze it into small molds so I can toss food more often in more reasonable quantities.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to ask how are you liking the moonshine method? I’m using ATI essentials, and am having to dose extra elements, so I picked up the moonshiners handbook. So now I’m thinking of switching as my sps are pale. Ati system and moonshiners are similar with the Icp testing and dosing additional elements. It just seems like the moonshiners is doing few other things that are producing serious color.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great! It has come a long way in just over a year. I just read the whole thread.
Thanks! It's been a work in progress for sure. Welcome aboard!

I forgot to ask how are you liking the moonshine method? I’m using ATI essentials, and am having to dose extra elements, so I picked up the moonshiners handbook. So now I’m thinking of switching as my sps are pale. Ati system and moonshiners are similar with the Icp testing and dosing additional elements. It just seems like the moonshiners is doing few other things that are producing serious color.

I like it a lot actually, I only have that one acro in my tank currently, and it's been in there for quite some time, since starting moonshine it has really taken off and started to color up. There's also a tiny monti frag in the back of the tank that's really started to brighten up and grow as well. I've only been doing it for 3 months so far too so I'm sure they both have quite some way to go. What I've *really* seen take off with moonshine which isn't really advertised as much is my gorgs, new growth in all kinds of directions, some of them encrusting, etc. I do the 2ml each of the 4 "dailies" on dosers (because I have a refugium). I also do 12 drops of iodide & 4 drops of vanadium daily (these are both going up with every icp test as my tank consumption goes up), and then the correction doses after each icp & monthly rubidium dose. Typing it all out sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. Moonshiners doses to slightly different levels than most of the other regimens, and I think rubidium is unique to them.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice updates, and that picture of the engineer goby is just wonderful!
Also, I never really considered the marine betta before for my tank, but yours looks quite stunning!
They're a great addition, but can eat small shrimp, craps, snails, etc.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're a great addition, but can eat small shrimp, craps, snails, etc.
I probably won't have room left to consider bettas after the other fish I like better, but I appreciate your advice. My current FOWLR has three 3" triggers and a 12" snowflake eel, so I am familiar with CUC consumption concerns. I would like a pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimps in my 90G DT, so marine bettas are probably out of the picture.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably won't have room left to consider bettas after the other fish I like better, but I appreciate your advice. My current FOWLR has three 3" triggers and a 12" snowflake eel, so I am familiar with CUC consumption concerns. I would like a pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimps in my 90G DT, so marine bettas are probably out of the picture.
He leaves my Harlequin, cleaner, and pistol alone. All peppermint become food though

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need to replace return pump. It's the only thing I haven't checked recently and I'm showing a massive spike in metals (rodi sample showed zero so not from source). Might be a fluke as corals seem fine other than the zoas/RFAs... but I still think they're from the filefish.

Recommendations?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need to replace return pump. It's the only thing I haven't checked recently and I'm showing a massive spike in metals (rodi sample showed zero so not from source). Might be a fluke as corals seem fine other than the zoas/RFAs... but I still think they're from the filefish.

Recommendations?
maybe magnets.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe magnets.
Yeah after posting this I recalled a few magnets in the tank that I didn't inspect. Too dark in here to deal with right now, I'll pull it apart in the morning.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe magnets.
I *did* find some [what looked like] rust in one of the old powerheads I replaced a couple months ago, but nothing tested then. Jebao, like the return. I've been eyeballing the sicce syncra sdc for a bit so this might be a good opportunity to replace for peace of mind anyway.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I *did* find some [what looked like] rust in one of the old powerheads I replaced a couple months ago, but nothing tested then. Jebao, like the return. I've been eyeballing the sicce syncra sdc for a bit so this might be a good opportunity to replace for peace of mind anyway.
very happy with my 9.0. bought a 6.0 I was going to use for a UV I bought pre water in the box. never brought it on line. so now I have a sicce sdc 6 for a backup.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very happy with my 9.0. bought a 6.0 I was going to use for a UV I bought pre water in the box. never brought it on line. so now I have a sicce sdc 6 for a backup.
I have a 90, plumbing is straight up, no kinks or turns. Was thinking the 6.0. What I have now is technically a little more powerful but I run it at 50 so I think I could in theory just bump it up a little but still not need to move it full throttle. Maybe. Hmm?

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New batch of salt? Been hearing stories about bad batches lately...?
No, i'm the epitome of lazy, no wc for me unless its sump cleaning month - which is this month actually, but I haven't done it yet

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back