OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NONE of the fish or corals seem to be reacting though, maybe it's a bad test?

Copper 3.32
Zinc 84.48
Tin 140
Aluminum 18.16

Maybe I'm overthinking it and none of those really are high enough to be concerning?

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NONE of the fish or corals seem to be reacting though, maybe it's a bad test?

Copper 3.32
Zinc 84.48
Tin 140
Aluminum 18.16

Maybe I'm overthinking it and none of those really are high enough to be concerning?
Ppm? Ppb? Any copper seems like a no go... and it could be contaminated... any readings prior?

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ppm? Ppb? Any copper seems like a no go... and it could be contaminated... any readings prior?
hmm great question.... it's ati-icp test. ::google search:: looks like ppb? µg/l seems to translate to that. NO copper readings in previous tests.

as far as the others go: very low readings in previous tests (5-10 range to compare)

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm great question.... it's ati-icp test. ::google search:: looks like ppb? µg/l seems to translate to that. NO copper readings in previous tests.

as far as the others go: very low readings in previous tests (5-10 range to compare)
How often between tests?

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a magnet release copper.

I dont think so but internal parts to a peice of equipment might?...

My immediate first thought was the return pump. It's the oldest thing in the tank and when I replaced the same brand powerheads there was some weird discoloration in one of them -- but nothing was testing poorly then.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90, plumbing is straight up, no kinks or turns. Was thinking the 6.0. What I have now is technically a little more powerful but I run it at 50 so I think I could in theory just bump it up a little but still not need to move it full throttle. Maybe. Hmm?
I think the 6.0 would be fine.

F i s h y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
generally send off one a month, 6 weeks max. Most recent was 4 weeks prior though
Seems like a large increase in just 4 weeks. I'd expect a larger reaction to copper by corals and inverts at any amount... id almost retest if it were me before taking any measures especially if things seem relatively unaffected.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a large increase in just 4 weeks. I'd expect a larger reaction to copper by corals and inverts at any amount... id almost retest if it were me before taking any measures especially if things seem relatively unaffected.
I was very surprised to see such a big increase myself.

I know they're upgrading or changing around lab equipment as well. Maybe I'll send a triton for faster results and to compare...

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might still use this as a means to justify replacing that return pump though hahaha

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can even pick up a seachem copper test to check. The colors suck for actually figuring out how much, but they are cheap and any hint of blue will confirm it.

Even cheaper is a polypad. The ones that change color for metals and such.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can even pick up a seachem copper test to check. The colors suck for actually figuring out how much, but they are cheap and any hint of blue will confirm it.

Even cheaper is a polypad. The ones that change color for metals and such.
I used to have some of those in the cabinet... I got excited, but apparently I used them all

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bumped and back ;Facepalm :)
i "red" it all..;)
WP_20210120_17_21_02_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some cuprasorb. It has saved my tank more than once. If something is leaching it will save you. Good luck figuring it out.
Ahh! Perfect, thank you! I feel like it's probably a contaminated test but this is a great safety net while I search the rest of the tank.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up to check the rest of the magnets, realized my pistol shrimp was active last night, half the lower rockwork on the left side of the tank was under sand :rolleyes: The clowns are not pleased, that's their domain

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 41 48.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.7%
Back