OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a few hours. Out a little more. Dealing with some electrical stuff in the house & then finding homes for all the new zoas. Might check him on the sandbed with the alveopora to see if anything different happens...
PXL_20210307_203620726.jpg

Speaking of.... Thinking about pulling the alveo from the pico back to this tank. It has grown tremendously; however, it doesn't fully extend in the pico & I can't do much about changing flow etc over there.

When I get home from this home depot trip (I'm sitting in the car, he's in that hellhole) I'll take photos of the one in each tank so you can see what I mean about extension between the two.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Left, new tiny alveopora with happy extension even though its plug got knocked sideways. Right, chonky alveopora in the pico with minimal extension....

Put them together in this tank?
20210307_162233-COLLAGE.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When fragging was able to get this guy. Hopefully he gets fat and happy. Its about the size of a dime. All the others that arrived with him are 5 times its size
20210307_163624.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that turned into way more of a hassle than I was anticipating, but electric to the bar is officially completed.

Did not have time to fix in new zoas, move the gsp rock, or move the other alveopora back to the main tank (which I'm leaning towards testing). I also didn't get a chance to move the mystery down... Tasks for Tuesday when I have another day off.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that turned into way more of a hassle than I was anticipating, but electric to the bar is officially completed.

Did not have time to fix in new zoas, move the gsp rock, or move the other alveopora back to the main tank (which I'm leaning towards testing). I also didn't get a chance to move the mystery down... Tasks for Tuesday when I have another day off.
Can't wait for pics

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery lps was not a fan of sand level with the alveos so he's been up on the ledge rock again. But they're both happy over here.

PXL_20210309_193253699.jpg

So much more space for activities with that gsp rock hidden away.
PXL_20210309_193247967.jpg

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mystery lps was not a fan of sand level with the alveos so he's been up on the ledge rock again. But they're both happy over here.

PXL_20210309_193253699.jpg

So much more space for activities with that gsp rock hidden away.
PXL_20210309_193247967.jpg
Gorgous tank whats all the floaties

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, when putting in all the zoas today I realized how badly I'm reinfested in aiptasia :rolleyes:

Maybe some peppermint shrimp next... Never really had luck with them before

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now yet another thing on my list of future considerations that will be a copy of yours if I go that route! I guess I'll have to stick with my plan for macro-algae/ulva/mangroves for export instead of an algae scrubber... :p
Your clam is very nice, and nice to know its a hippopus!

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now yet another thing on my list of future considerations that will be a copy of yours if I go that route! I guess I'll have to stick with my plan for macro-algae/ulva/mangroves for export instead of an algae scrubber... :p
Your clam is very nice, and nice to know its a hippopus!
I just pulled all the miracle mud out of the refugium because lithium, strontium, potassium, and bromine levels wouldn't stop climbing and I'm not dosing them or any combo elements. They were getting very close to danger zones and a lot of research points towards the fuge mud. Sending off another icp in a week or so to see if those start to drop down. For whatever reason, macros won't grow in my tank without the mud either so.... ATS it is!

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been awhile since I've put a real informational update in here so without further ado:

I'm still doing moonshiner method, I still can't seem to successfully *add* any new acros to this tank, but the one that survived everything has really taken off since switching to this method. All others do fine then randomly bleach out over night, not trying again - sticks do fantastic in the pico so I'll keep them there.

My most recent rounds of ICP testing have left a mystery of sorts with a few elements I haven't been dosing (I don't use an all in one). I took apart my equipment, the return had some questionable residue in it so I upgraded to a sicce. Next test still had elevated things. After some heavy additional research general consensus is that the miracle mud has been linked to these specific elements in excess, so I removed the mud after my last test results came in. I still have a bunch of macros to rehome, but in the meantime they're in the refugium with the filefish living under my new santa monica surf 2x algae scrubber - which has been in the tank for less than one week and is not yet growing anything. I plan to send another test out probably next weekend, if the elements in question haven't started to drop on their own I'll be adding panta lith next.

I pulled the filefish, he turned into a zoa and rfa eating filefish instead of just aiptasia. My zoas and rfas have bounced back since pulling him to the sump. Unfortunately, so have my aiptasia. I did a sweep through once to kill them and they got worse. I'm done. I can't do nudis because the wrasse eats them. I haven't had luck with peppermint shrimp in the past due to the marine betta, but the harlequin and cleaner are fine so I may try peppermints again. Undecided.

I have one more order coming in this week or the beginning of next week as far as corals go and then I don't plan to add anything more to the tank. Next up is probably an upgrade. Torn between waterbox and cade currently, but leaning towards cade for that built in ato behind the display.

I definitely want to go bigger, but I want my tank to go into the same location it's currently in and I haven't worked that traffic jam out in my head yet. How have you guys handled upgrades into the same location? Currently sitting with a 90, planning on upgrading to either the CADE 1500 or 1800 or the Waterbox 180.5 or 220.6. The 1500 and 180.5 have comparable floor dimensions, as well as the 1800 vs 220.6 - it's just down to whether I want space for an additional small storage cabinet to the side for food, and such.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pull everything put in horse troughs break down tank put back in new tank. Sounds simple its a pain the backside.
Same day using as much water from the existing as possible? Or plan to allow the new an extensive cycle span? Space constraints have me nervous.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved from the 20 to the 90 I had space to set up the 90 in its home and started with all new water and mostly dry rock. I was able to move some live rock over as well. I did a heavy prodibio dosage with their "quick start" type cycling product. When I moved the live over a couple shrimp hitchhiked and thankfully did just fine. I did go through an extensive period of the uglies but didn't lose any fish. I think it sat empty for a few days before the shrimp popped over on the rock, and then a week before I said screw it and moved everything else.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same day using as much water from the existing as possible? Or plan to allow the new an extensive cycle span? Space constraints have me nervous.
I ended up with dinos... not using enough old water on my recent transfer. I transfered everything. And the new water got depleted of the nutrients pretty quick. Then I made the problem worse... something to be said for using dirty water and dirty rock...

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up with dinos... not using enough old water on my recent transfer. I transfered everything. And the new water got depleted of the nutrients pretty quick. Then I made the problem worse... something to be said for using dirty water and dirty rock...
Yeah I don't plan to do dry rock again. Plan is use existing rock which has corals growing on it anyway, and buy more live rock as needed to fill the gaps. With the aiptasia battle I'm going through I think I'll sump the canary wrasse in the beginning and buy nudis to help knock everything out. Will do new sand though, not playing that game, and will likely send my pistol shrimp to the LFS in the transfer. My engineer goby behaves, that pistol is a brat.

So, a couple troughs to put everything in so I can move the existing tank out. Set up the new tank, and start moving everything back in? I know corals will be okay blacked out for a day or so if needed, I don't know if I'll be able to keep the dog from drinking saltwater though if they need to sit an extended amount of time.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't plan to do dry rock again. Plan is use existing rock which has corals growing on it anyway, and buy more live rock as needed to fill the gaps. With the aiptasia battle I'm going through I think I'll sump the canary wrasse in the beginning and buy nudis to help knock everything out. Will do new sand though, not playing that game, and will likely send my pistol shrimp to the LFS in the transfer. My engineer goby behaves, that pistol is a brat.

So, a couple troughs to put everything in so I can move the existing tank out. Set up the new tank, and start moving everything back in? I know corals will be okay blacked out for a day or so if needed, I don't know if I'll be able to keep the dog from drinking saltwater though if they need to sit an extended amount of time.
Lol yes the dog may drink the water... my old roommates dog dig...

Back