danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much space you got?
They're currently on my desk which is built into a closet (and underneath is Skeletor's cave for when its storming or cold), but I think I'm about to move them above the 4g in that cabinet which opens up a lot more space. While we're here, I'm currently using an 800ml jar for the 4g and would like to get something a little nicer for that as well.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're currently on my desk which is built into a closet (and underneath is Skeletor's cave for when its storming or cold), but I think I'm about to move them above the 4g in that cabinet which opens up a lot more space. While we're here, I'm currently using an 800ml jar for the 4g and would like to get something a little nicer for that as well.
For my small tanks, I like to use the large mason jars. The 1 gallon ones can be had at walmart. I found mine at Marshalls for cheap lol.

My nieces tank uses and very nice vase that holds just a little over a gallon and I made a lid for it to keep it from evaporating. Lid is just a piece of styrofoam cut to the shape of the opening and it sits just below the top of the vase.

The wifes old seahorse tank used a ceral container directly behind the tank. This was so all you could see was the tank and nthing else, since it was for dwarfs and an AIO. Also made it possible to use a tiny 5v usb powered micro pump. Did a DIY ato with a float switch and just ran the - of the 5v feed through the float switch. Worked great and still works, as that same pump now tops off the sump in the fish barn lol. (only has to lift water 2 feet. So slow, but works.)

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my small tanks, I like to use the large mason jars. The 1 gallon ones can be had at walmart. I found mine at Marshalls for cheap lol.

My nieces tank uses and very nice vase that holds just a little over a gallon and I made a lid for it to keep it from evaporating. Lid is just a piece of styrofoam cut to the shape of the opening and it sits just below the top of the vase.

The wifes old seahorse tank used a ceral container directly behind the tank. This was so all you could see was the tank and nthing else, since it was for dwarfs and an AIO. Also made it possible to use a tiny 5v usb powered micro pump. Did a DIY ato with a float switch and just ran the - of the 5v feed through the float switch. Worked great and still works, as that same pump now tops off the sump in the fish barn lol. (only has to lift water 2 feet. So slow, but works.)
I'm gonna shoot you some pics tomorrow to show space availability.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feel like I need some updated pix in here. Also whassup with those orange shrooms?
Shroom:
PXL_20220119_163803001.jpg

Blastos: (and some sponge I think)
PXL_20220119_163750426.jpg

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, forgive the lack of filter. This is my 4 gallon tank. It has a jar behind it that is being used as the ATO but is a little too small, I don't know if a full gallon jar size will fit back there or be easy enough to maneuver around if it does.
PXL_20220119_171756326.jpg

I am contemplating moving these two tiny tanks onto the shelf above.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, forgive the lack of filter. This is my 4 gallon tank. It has a jar behind it that is being used as the ATO but is a little too small, I don't know if a full gallon jar size will fit back there or be easy enough to maneuver around if it does.
PXL_20220119_171756326.jpg

I am contemplating moving these two tiny tanks onto the shelf above.
They make half gallon, 3/4 gallon and all kinds of sizes.

How tall is that tank? How much room do you have behind it?I have a few ideas, but need to know height and room.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make half gallon, 3/4 gallon and all kinds of sizes.

How tall is that tank? How much room do you have behind it?I have a few ideas, but need to know height and room.
All right, the tank is 9 1/4 in high & there's 8 1/2 in from the top of the tank to the shelf above. There is just over 5 1/2 in from the back of the tank to the back of the cabinet. The cabinet is 19 in left to right.

The jar I'm currently using is a quarter gallon.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right, the tank is 9 1/4 in high & there's 8 1/2 in from the top of the tank to the shelf above. There is just over 5 1/2 in from the back of the tank to the back of the cabinet. The cabinet is 19 in left to right.

The jar I'm currently using is a quarter gallon.
Look through these. One may be the right size to fill the space nicely and to not be taller than the tank.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look through these. One may be the right size to fill the space nicely and to not be taller than the tank.

oooh clever! Yes I'm sure I'll find something that works with those.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use one behind the 2.5 aqueon I had at my office, when I went into the office lol. Worked great and it is easily drillable. I used a soldering iron to make a hole in mine for some rodi fittings lol. This way, I did not have a hose coming out of the top.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oooh clever! Yes I'm sure I'll find something that works with those.
It is also a 2 pack, so not bad price for what you get. I used the other one I got to store supplies for the tank and stuck it in a drawer. Kept it all organized and just opened the drawer, lifted the lid and grabbed what I needed.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use one behind the 2.5 aqueon I had at my office, when I went into the office lol. Worked great and it is easily drillable. I used a soldering iron to make a hole in mine for some rodi fittings lol. This way, I did not have a hose coming out of the top.
Nice! Yeah I'll get to measuring and see what I can make happen for the 4g with those. They'll work with these micros as well, just have to figure out how I want to go about it. Wondering if I could use one reservoir for both of them....

Also have to decide about moving them over into that cabinet as well.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Yeah I'll get to measuring and see what I can make happen for the 4g with those. They'll work with these micros as well, just have to figure out how I want to go about it. Wondering if I could use one reservoir for both of them....

Also have to decide about moving them over into that cabinet as well.
You could use one for 2 with no issues. Just have to top it off sooner. I would suggest using some fitting like the below and using 1/4" line for the top off feed to the tanks. You can get all fancy and use 90s to make it almost not visible.

Just use a soldering iron to melt out a hole for the bulkhead fitting and use 1/4" line to feed the tanks. If you pump will not accept 1/4" line, there are adaptors. I typically make my own ATOs and use a small pump that takes 1/4" line.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use one for 2 with no issues. Just have to top it off sooner. I would suggest using some fitting like the below and using 1/4" line for the top off feed to the tanks. You can get all fancy and use 90s to make it almost not visible.

Just use a soldering iron to melt out a hole for the bulkhead fitting and use 1/4" line to feed the tanks. If you pump will not accept 1/4" line, there are adaptors. I typically make my own ATOs and use a small pump that takes 1/4" line.

I think my existing one would need to be adapted. I'll have to get more for the micros

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing too exciting going on here, these guys are both evaporating a lot more recently with the weather change and having to run the heat. Have not set up ato yet for either. All inhabitants doing well though.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, no photos because I just did water changes. Both doing well, with the exception of losing the Pocillopora frag I tried in the mct. Pulled that out today but apparently glued the plug in so well that it's stuck there :rolleyes: hoping with time the cloves will just cover that up as well. Salt creep is an eternal problem. Baby trocus over here is doing a fantastic job of keeping the tank clean though! Pulled a bunch of the weird gray sponge out of the pnw while I did the wc over there today. Blasto still super happy, mushroom is extending nicely. This trocus is not doing as great of a job and I had to take a q-tip to this tank to clean up the viewing window. Baby aiptasia over here, will need to get nudis for this one now.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photo dump coming.

I thought the cloves were closed up because I was messing with the tank the other day, nope. It's cold in there. The mct pump is not enough to keep the tank warm like the pnws.

PXL_20220209_170511022.jpg
PXL_20220209_170454472.jpg
PXL_20220209_170445625.jpg
PXL_20220209_170438289.jpg
PXL_20220209_170434056.jpg
PXL_20220209_170431048.jpg
PXL_20220209_170418178.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back