Cade Chaos Grimoire

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Birthday GIF by memecandy
I was asking if yesterday was your birthday.

Looks like it was

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210518_103359_148.jpg

IMG_20210518_103358_944.jpg

Such a pretty shade of green. Cleaned out the ats for real today. Curious how long it will take to fill back up.
Not to derail your thread, @danieyella , but I'm curious if anyone has tried taking a refugium/ATS harvest and drying it in sheets to make homemade "nori"? Are there any problems with this idea?
Since some of my favorite fish are herbivores, I am planning possibly to harvest algae from my sump when set up (not sure what types yet, probably ulva/caulerpa) and drying it in a dehydrator to use as an herbivorous food in my main tanks.

...btw, happy birthday a day late!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to derail your thread, @danieyella , but I'm curious if anyone has tried taking a refugium/ATS harvest and drying it in sheets to make homemade "nori"? Are there any problems with this idea?
Since some of my favorite fish are herbivores, I am planning possibly to harvest algae from my sump when set up (not sure what types yet, probably ulva/caulerpa) and drying it in a dehydrator to use as an herbivorous food in my main tanks.

...btw, happy birthday a day late!
why dry it? I just grab it out of the ATS and toss it to the fish.
foxface, tomini, and the tailspot love it. and it's a free for all for all the rest to see who gets the pods hiding in it.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we won't tell anyone. ;)
I still haven't clicked "order" on any of it. It's still all available. Almost done with the kitchen so we'll see towards the end of the week. I refused to touch the kitchen yesterday because birthday, otherwise we'd probably be finishing it today. As it stands I think we'll get it finished tomorrow. Breaktime after redoing the ductwork for the microwave/oven ventilation situation. Other big thing will be the sink plumbing but we should be able to knock them both out today we think.

Honestly can't be doing buckets for dips & acclimation in the midst of our wrecked house right now lol

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why dry it? I just grab it out of the ATS and toss it to the fish.
foxface, tomini, and the tailspot love it. and it's a free for all for all the rest to see who gets the pods hiding in it.
This, fresh fish food. :)
Ha, I suppose I should clarify: Feeding fresh is first priority, thanks for confirmation.
Are there any negatives to drying the excess harvest above and beyond what I feed fresh? That is, assuming I can get excessive growth (such as may be the case with ulva) above and beyond what my herbivores can eat.
Maybe freezing extra algae harvested is a better option?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still haven't clicked "order" on any of it. It's still all available. Almost done with the kitchen so we'll see towards the end of the week. I refused to touch the kitchen yesterday because birthday, otherwise we'd probably be finishing it today. As it stands I think we'll get it finished tomorrow. Breaktime after redoing the ductwork for the microwave/oven ventilation situation. Other big thing will be the sink plumbing but we should be able to knock them both out today we think.

Honestly can't be doing buckets for dips & acclimation in the midst of our wrecked house right now lol
don't know how.
don't wanna know how.
any remodeling gets hired out.
my time is too valuable to be playing with plumbing, electric and drywall. :cool:
and look me in the eye and tell me you haven't looked at your cart 3x.
tsk tsk..... I had high hopes for you kid.:cool:

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, I suppose I should clarify: Feeding fresh is first priority, thanks for confirmation.
Are there any negatives to drying the excess harvest above and beyond what I feed fresh? That is, assuming I can get excessive growth (such as may be the case with ulva) above and beyond what my herbivores can eat.
Maybe freezing extra algae harvested is a better option?

You get fresh veggies in your diet, all nutrients intact, air drying will destroy less nutrient content, flash freezing would work, re hydrate some dry veggies and see how you like them, harvest daily and feed the fish fresh, see if your macro production can keep up. :)

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
don't know how.
don't wanna know how.
any remodeling gets hired out.
my time is too valuable to be playing with plumbing, electric and drywall. :cool:
and look me in the eye and tell me you haven't looked at your cart 3x.
tsk tsk..... I had high hopes for you kid.:cool:
2x. But I've thought about it many more I'm saving that 3rd glance

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You get fresh veggies in your diet, all nutrients intact, air drying will destroy less nutrient content, flash freezing would work, re hydrate some dry veggies and see how you like them, harvest daily and feed the fish fresh, see if your macro production can keep up. :)
My fish are brats and refuse to eat the fresh stuff, only dried strips :rolleyes: I'm hoping they'll get there though, trying each time. My urchin loves it at least

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on the CADE. Been settled in for a month now, loving it more daily. Played with lights a little last weekend to bump up the strength as some of my lower zoas and even blastos were starting to fade. Already seeing improvement with the minor changes I made. Definitely want to add a lumenbar in the long run though. Probably going to end up with a seneye in the next month to check par for real.

Did an aiptasia slaughter session today, found more as soon as I packed everything away so I'll be back to it tomorrow :rolleyes:

Couple shots from today:

FTS
PXL_20210519_233952586.jpg

Went to move one of my gorgs that popped from it's plug hole. NVM - it's encrusting on the blenny cave.
PXL_20210519_234008320.jpg

That vivida though. (The aiptasia on the side of the orange blasto was hit this afternoon)
PXL_20210519_183241023.jpg

I missed the one on the sponge :rolleyes:
PXL_20210519_183247253.jpg

Some sand dwellers....
PXL_20210519_183223054.jpg

Thinking about moving all my alveopora into one of the sandbed frag rock holders to make more of a garden. Haven't decided.

Something like this
1621472375018.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference - currently in my tank: 3 acanthophyllia (1 green 2 purple/green/blueish), 1 RED cynarina, 1 red/green trachy, 1 green/orange lobo

The cynarina in question 5 inches open
1621473865000.png

The trachy in question 3.5 inches open:
1621473893315.png

About a $10 difference in cost between them - I'm going to splurge on one for sure, but I can't decide!

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back