danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are beautiful.

I've got a few surprises coming today too shhhhhh.
I'll get a photo of the itty bitty leather once it starts to relax a little more. Even upset it has a few polyps out and they're about an inch long. The frag itself is maybe a half inch. So tiny.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little baby opening up almost immediately. Lots of blue& gold tones that just won't pick up on my phone :(
PXL_20210617_153407912.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20210617_153328365.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
love 'em.
can't keep 'em.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love 'em.
can't keep 'em.
This is my first not hippopus. Fingers crossed.

Edit: my b, I had a derasa actually, towards the beginning - well before this tank. Forgot about him.

And I did order one squamosa that arrived doa when I got my first hippopus. So he doesn't count.

Last edited:
OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it occurred to me yesterday that I have not done maintenance on any of the media in my sump since prior to the tank switch over. I moved all of the old media over and never remembered to go back in and change it out a few weeks afterwards.

So, That's what I did this afternoon. New clearfx reef, new aquachar, new bactoballs, another dose of rebiotic.

The back two chambers have the old aquachar and a bunch of rubble. I'll pull the old ac over the weekend, but pods & such like to live in there.

PXL_20210617_183847084.jpg

Last edited:

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it occurred to me yesterday that I have not done maintenance on any of the media in my sump since prior to the tank switch over. I moved all of the old media over and never remembered to go back in and change it out a few weeks afterwards.

So, That's what I did this afternoon. New clearfx reef, new aquachar, new bioballs, another dose of rebiotic.

The back two chambers have the old aquachar and a bunch of rubble. I'll pull the old ac over the weekend, but pods & suck like to live in there.

PXL_20210617_183847084.jpg
Sumps way to clean your fired:D

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps way to clean your fired:D
That's because it's still so new lol - give it time! My old one was 100% covered in coralline growth. Hopefully this doesn't hit that point since there's no light on in here except when i'm messing around in here.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's because it's still so new lol - give it time! My old one was 100% covered in coralline growth. Hopefully this doesn't hit that point since there's no light on in here except when i'm messing around in here.
I'm actually jelly haha. On a real note I need to change my sumps up. I went from being able to climb in mine doing maintenance to having to turn head sideways, push head in and then hope my eyeballs can see directly below me haha. Think im going to have to run socks or build something that keeps the nasties to where I can vacuum them out.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually jelly haha. On a real note I need to change my sumps up. I went from being able to climb in mine doing maintenance to having to turn head sideways, push head in and then hope my eyeballs can see directly below me haha. Think im going to have to run socks or build something that keeps the nasties to where I can vacuum them out.
Installing the roller mat thing cut down on the excess detritus in the sump significantly. A little still makes it through obviously, but man I hated changing socks so much they were always overflowing by the time I got around to it....

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installing the roller mat thing cut down on the excess detritus in the sump significantly. A little still makes it through obviously, but man I hated changing socks so much they were always overflowing by the time I got around to it....
with all that socks and roller mat stuff, what's everything in the sump eat?

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with all that socks and roller mat stuff, what's everything in the sump eat?
Only things in the sump intentionally* are pods. Tank is dosed phyto daily into the sump right before the return chamber, so they're getting that some before it moves into the display

Last edited:
OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the occasional snail or asterina has made its way down there. I usually pluck them back out and move them up top. I think I have like 3 bumblebees living down there - no idea what they're eating.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big oof. I am struggling. Teleconsult went well. I have an in person exam tomorrow morning at 845 am. Yay.

I can't wear my contacts until after the exam though.

What I've learned in the past 4 hours is this:
- My eyes are suddenly not in pain or itchy or hazy or anything like they were - yay.
- I can't wear glasses for more than 1.5 hrs without taking them off to give my skull a break. I have the absolute worst migraine and my glasses make me so dizzy.

So, after my appointment I will immediately be switching back to itchy eyes and *hopefully* will be a candidate for LASIK or PRK & can get that booked ASAP. Because both of these options suck & I can't just stumble around blind.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big oof. I am struggling. Teleconsult went well. I have an in person exam tomorrow morning at 845 am. Yay.

I can't wear my contacts until after the exam though.

What I've learned in the past 4 hours is this:
- My eyes are suddenly not in pain or itchy or hazy or anything like they were - yay.
- I can't wear glasses for more than 1.5 hrs without taking them off to give my skull a break. I have the absolute worst migraine and my glasses make me so dizzy.

So, after my appointment I will immediately be switching back to itchy eyes and *hopefully* will be a candidate for LASIK or PRK & can get that booked ASAP. Because both of these options suck & I can't just stumble around blind.
Also hoping for lasik by year end. I have terrible vision, wear contacts, and have corneal ulcers... would love to worry less...

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For context: I have worn strictly contact lenses for 18 years despite keeping a pair of glasses available "just in case"

My lense RX hasn't changed in over 10 years.

I've had corrective lenses of some sort since I was in like 2nd grade (took me awhile to convince the parents contacts were better than glasses).

I kinda just want to wake up able to see things. Seems like a cool party trick.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also hoping for lasik by year end. I have terrible vision, wear contacts, and have corneal ulcers... would love to worry less...
They told me the procedure itself is like 5 min per eye. Crazy. I don't have corneal ulcers or anything, just crappy eyes & an overly active head that seems to enjoy massive headaches at the slightest inconvenience

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They told me the procedure itself is like 5 min per eye. Crazy. I don't have corneal ulcers or anything, just crappy eyes & an overly active head that seems to enjoy massive headaches at the slightest inconvenience
I'm in the constant migraine club to (CMC) I can't wait. I've been exclusively contacts since about 98. Time to fix these eyes. I'm 38.... sigh...

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For context: I have worn strictly contact lenses for 18 years despite keeping a pair of glasses available "just in case"

My lense RX hasn't changed in over 10 years.

I've had corrective lenses of some sort since I was in like 2nd grade (took me awhile to convince the parents contacts were better than glasses).

I kinda just want to wake up able to see things. Seems like a cool party trick.
It's the best party trick! Can you imagine natural selection of us before corrective lenses?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the best party trick! Can you imagine natural selection of us before corrective lenses?

dude I’m over hear with a few Severe food allergies and pretty nasty seasonal allergies. I don’t know how someone like me would get by thousands of years ago. When my allergies (seasonal) are bad I feel irritated enough to punch a bear. Which would promptly result in a dead coyote.

I have sub par eyes too but nothing debilitating

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%

Back