OP
danieyella

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer, opening a box is always stressful for me, I've had a few doas and it's heartbreaking.
I didn't think to check the salinity of the 2 who arrived DOA, but the salinity of the one of that species who arrived alive is at 1.015 :rolleyes:

The other three fish are 1.022

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think to check the salinity of the 2 who arrived DOA, but the salinity of the one of that species who arrived alive is at 1.015 :rolleyes:

The other three fish are 1.022
I've heard/ read everything from keeps costs low on salt to it suppresses disease, but my lfs has low salinity as well, fortunately I think it's to save on salt costs in my case.

What did you order?

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard/ read everything from keeps costs low on salt to it suppresses disease, but my lfs has low salinity as well, fortunately I think it's to save on salt costs in my case.

What did you order?

Couple neon gobies and 3 firefish. 2 of the 3 firefish were doa

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First dose of brightwell pH+ today. Went from 7.3 to 7.4 with the first dose, they recommended not bumping more than .2 a day but I'm only doing .1 today because I want to watch the trend and see how stable it stays.

With brewing, CO2 is high in our house and pH is a constant struggle. The tank is too far from an exterior wall to run a line for external air for the skimmer, and this is FL so keeping windows open is simply not an option.

I'll report back regularly so we can see how this goes.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First dose of brightwell pH+ today. Went from 7.3 to 7.4 with the first dose, they recommended not bumping more than .2 a day but I'm only doing .1 today because I want to watch the trend and see how stable it stays.

With brewing, CO2 is high in our house and pH is a constant struggle. The tank is too far from an exterior wall to run a line for external air for the skimmer, and this is FL so keeping windows open is simply not an option.

I'll report back regularly so we can see how this goes.
Considered doing a kalkwasser drip? Keeps my ph above 8 or just add kalk to ATO

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considered doing a kalkwasser drip? Keeps my ph above 8 or just add kalk to ATO
When I first started dosing I avoided it - can't remember why. Now, my ATO is built into the back so cleaning out any debris/etc from it is impossible

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow recovery since pulling the filefish. Better than I expected this quickly.
PXL_20211021_203356597.jpg

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red/orange & purple monti hit light from their underside travel and are starting to take off, green just has a tiny bit until it breaks light and joins them.
Pics!

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to report that 2 doses of boost has stabilized the bottom end of my pH. Now to just work that bottom end higher :rolleyes:

Moving it slow because I don't want to stress the tank, and it's miraculously doing okay with that pH how it is (I just know it could be so much better).

My lowest point seems to hit around 530 am and run until about noon. Now it sits completely stable that whole time at 6.4 (I know, yikes) instead of bouncing around from 6.4-6.2.

Alk has been consistent in my testings & ICP testings. I've been watching my pH to see if the daily dip or rise coincides with my dosing times and it kind of does? Half my daily dose hits at noon, that's when I start to see an increase. The other half hits at 7pm, which is when I start to see my pH dip again. I can't tell if this is relevant or not.

Should I spread my alk doses out into more frequent smaller amounts to see if I get any improvement that way?

Should I dose all of it on the evening? I've heard dose when lights off because that's when pH dips. Which, I do see the beginning of my decrease right around when my evening dose hits.

I'm just concerned that if I change something I'll break it all lol

Last edited:

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy to report that 2 doses of boost has stabilized the bottom end of my pH. Now to just work that bottom end higher :rolleyes:

Moving it slow because I don't want to stress the tank, and it's miraculously doing okay with that pH how it is (I just know it could be so much better).

My lowest point seems to hit around 530 am and run until about noon. Now it sits completely stable that whole time at 6.4 (I know, yikes) instead of bouncing around from 6.4-6.2.

Alk has been consistent in my testings & ICP testings. I've been watching my pH to see if the daily dip or rise coincides with my dosing times and it kind of does? Half my daily dose hits at noon, that's when I start to see an increase. The other half hits at 7pm, which is when I start to see my pH dip again. I can't tell if this is relevant or not.

Should I spread my alk doses out into more frequent smaller amounts to see if I get any improvement that way?

Should I dose all of it on the evening? I've heard dose when lights off because that's when pH dips. Which, I do see the beginning of my decrease right around when my evening dose hits.

I'm just concerned that if I change something I'll break it all lol
Do you happen to have a refugium? Macro algae photosynthesis would increase PH , can make an aqua clear filter into an hob refugium not too hard

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have a refugium? Macro algae photosynthesis would increase PH , can make an aqua clear filter into an hob refugium not too hard
I run an ats instead, same function different approach

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: haven't spilt up the dosing more yet, meant to last night but forgot. I'll do it tonight.

2 nights ago I sat at a minimum of 6.4 for a good 5 hours or something.

Last night 6.4 was the minimum still, but only for about an hour before I see some stable increase again.

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit submit with a different finger while swiping on my phone :rolleyes:

3 nights ago it was all over the place up and down and up and down. So I'm considering this improvement. Went from wavering like crazy to completely stable albeit extremely low. To a steady decline and increase without hitting any lower.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit submit with a different finger while swiping on my phone :rolleyes:

3 nights ago it was all over the place up and down and up and down. So I'm considering this improvement. Went from wavering like crazy to completely stable albeit extremely low. To a steady decline and increase without hitting any lower.

I know you said you can't get an airline outside for the skimmer, how about down, you on a slab or crawl space?

OP
OP
danieyella

danieyella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you said you can't get an airline outside for the skimmer, how about down, you on a slab or crawl space?
Sorry only half that posted. Ugh. I'm dysfunctional today. Florida doesn't do crawl spaces, basements, etc. We are on a slab and the tank is on an internal wall not an external, and nowhere near enough a window. We thought about trying to run a line up and through the attic, but we can't access that part of the attic.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back